It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
Post hey laur!!!

hi there,
i haven't heard from you but i posted again on the lupus board to your reply (check it out)...i am still having problems finding a gentle cleanser. the neutrogena fresh foaming cleanser leaves me sticky and the cetaphil normal to oily skin smells like crap (and it stings a little)....i don't know what to do and it has been 6 weeks and i am just worse all over

Old 06-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran

laur HB User
M

Hi, been having a busy weekend. I had a couple of days when I thought everything was getting better and now today I'm upset again. I try to hold out hope but it is so hard. The new derm was a QUACK.....sat about 3 feet from me and told me what he thought and what I should do all in about 5 minutes. I spent more time with the nurse who asked me about my medical history. He came in and I gave him the benefit of the doubt....said I'm using the right stuff already (finacea-azeleic acid) and glycolic acid cleanser. Then he wrote a prescription for dermatopix moisturizer and pelexion LOTION to be left on all day....well needless to say $150 later I'm really mad. I came home and checked to ingredients on the zerozit chart and they BOTH contain ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE and a couple other things that are rated a 4 or 5 on the comedogenic chart....Why would he prescribe something with ingredients that are known to clog pores??? He was an older guy and had been practicing for 35 years and says he uses the azeleic acid on his own pimples.....That was the only encouraging thing he said the whole time. Said to come back (for another $100 of course) in 4 weeks . Then the girl said that you don't see the dr from now on, you just see the practitioner.......I'M DONE with this guy. What a waste of money that I can't afford.

I've been using the finacea for about 10 days now. In some respects I thinkI see improvement and in others I see it worsening. It does seem to dry everything out, but I'll have to wait and see if it is actually preventing anything. Also, I cant tell if it will actually bring things to the surface first as well?? I wish more people would write about their experiences with azeleic acid. I hate playing the waiting game with this stuff. I am still tempted to increase the accutane to 3 pills per week but have not done so yet. I woke up this morning with a couple new ones and the stubborn ones that have been there are still there......they have been under the skin since about January in some cases. I hold out hope the the azeleic acid will work.

I will update throughout the week.

L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
L.,
I know how you feel,
i used the plexion lotion and it only made me shiny....also the azelex acid is good, i would keep using it. It is supposed to be equivalent to tazorac or retin-a only gentler for aging skin (not that you are aging). my old derm, the one that ruined my skin from the accutane was the same way...she would come in look around and be out in 2 min. (no joke) and her dumb nurse didn't know anything. I love my new derm. i see him every two weeks for about 1 hour at a time...he is so nurturing and kind to me and my skin and is trying to be very cautious (that is why i see him every 2 weeks) and i call his nurse with any questions throughout the wait period. Where do you hail from, maybe i could reccomend him if you are close? Anyway, my skin is not happy....my forehead is breaking out like mad(it was the only clear part) they are not huge but still bumpy and there. My cheeks get these little cysts that hurt but i pop those (i know i am not supposed to) i can't help it. And all the red marks still are there....i have a problem maybe you can help...i have all this dry skin when i wash my face in the shower that just slides down my face and when i get out it is just stuck on my skin...i don't know how to get rid of it without being harsh (washcloths are too much for my skin and when i use my hands to rub i wind up making things worse too) but i don't know what do do. I hope you have a better day today...take care,
-M

Old 06-01-2003, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
When I first used Azelaic it brought everything to the surface and very slowly healed everything.I was parenoid at first too but I had read that this was to be expected and to not give up on the product.So, I waited and waited and gradually my face got better and better.It took a great deal of patience though.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
how long did it take for you D.?

Old 06-02-2003, 08:29 AM   #6

acnesucks HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by laur:

I came home and checked to ingredients on the zerozit chart ....

Laur,

Doctors in general suck! I've bounced from derm to derm over the years and have experienced that exact situation with almost all of them.

Does the lupus complicate your battle with the acne? I know vaguely what lupus is, but I don't understand everything about it etc. I hope that the new stuff works out for you though.

Also...
What is the zerozit chart and where do I get it?

Take care and thanks!

Old 06-02-2003, 12:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by micheguns:
how long did it take for you D.?
A few months.

Old 06-02-2003, 01:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User