It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #1
Inactive

Sahuja HB User
Question Home Chemical Peels??

Hi!
Have any of of you tried any of the at home chemical peel kits? For example the one by Vita K? Are they any good, and do they help get rid of red spots quicker?? Also, are they safe for darker skin tones? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
Inactive

Scarred for Life HB User
bump... i wanna know as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #3

bargainshopper HB User
bump...i also want to know! lol

Old 02-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #4

accu HB User
Re: Home Chemical Peels??

bump...i also want to know! lol

Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 AM   #5

honeybearkitty HB User

I want to know too!

Anyone tried those on Ebay?

Old 04-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #6

grracne HB User

i'd like to know as well..... haha

Old 04-13-2004, 10:05 AM   #7

dbarker348 HB User

Hey there,
I bought a 30% Glycolic Acid solution from EBay (was a bit worried as t was from EBay but turned out OK) at the end of last year and used it once, before I went to America for a holiday and it kinda ever so slightly helped with fine lines but not overly.

When I got back from America I decided to start using it once a week like it suggested. I had planned another holiday to America to see my friend in 2 months so I wanted to see what effect it would have before I went back.

The instructions that came with it told me to apply it with my fingers, leave for a certain time (from like 6 minutes in the first week, to around 16 mins at the end of the 6 week period) and then use Baking Soda to neutralise the acid, then rinse off. I used it just about every week, but sometimes I wouldn't have time and would have to leave it until a bit later in the week.

Two weeks before America I decided I wanted to see what leavng it on for 30 minutes would do (I know, it sounds totally stupid - don't know why I did it!). I did it on a Saturday night before I went to bed so that I didn't really have to see anyone until the Monday if it went wrong! Well... my face hurt like hell rinsing it off, and was really red and sensitive for about a week - and I started to worry that I was gonna go on holiday like that! But it subsided and my skin looked quite a bit better.

I think the peels have helped to reduce fine lines a bit and the scars I have from the initial outbreak from B5, but it's also lightened my (already quite light) skin... so I need a bit of colour in my skin now! Whether it helped with red marks... I'm not sure. Possibly, but I don't know. The red marks are the things that are getting to me the most now though at the moment!

I would reccomend that you try it - I picked my Glycolic Acid up from EBay for about $18 I think. Quite expensive, but if it end's up giving you great skin (maybe) it's worth it, right? I would like to try Lactic Acid because I've heard it is a really good peel but not as irritating. Just gotta find some now in the UK!

Hope this has helped! Let me know if you have any questions!

Dave

P.S. I reccomend you don't look in a mirror while you do the peel - I did and my self-esteem just went! Your skin is mega red, and ANY pimples that you have or may have appearing are just highlighted as huge red dots! I also noticed that pimples would appear while I was doing it that weren't there before! (but they would tend to dssapear soon after)
Oh yeah... guys... don't shave soon before or after the peel... I'll just say... "Ouch!"

Old 04-13-2004, 12:23 PM   #8

Teresa470 HB User

I bought my glycolic acid on ebay also. I have done 6 treatments. I do have fewer breakouts. In the 6 weeks I have only had maybe 4 small pimples. I think it's biggest benefit is exfoliation. At the same time I started doing the peels I also got a high frequency machine. I use that daily for about 5-7 minutes. And definately after a peel. So for me it would be difficult to say whether it was the peels, the use of high frequency, both, or just coincidence that I have been so clear during this time. I should also mention I moisturize twice daily. I did not do that before starting the peels and HF.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
(male)

steven2984us HB User

about how much does a home chemica peel cost?

Old 04-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #10

honeybearkitty HB User
Question Re: Home Chemical Peels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa470
I bought my glycolic acid on ebay also. I have done 6 treatments. I do have fewer breakouts. In the 6 weeks I have only had maybe 4 small pimples. I think it's biggest benefit is exfoliation. At the same time I started doing the peels I also got a high frequency machine. I use that daily for about 5-7 minutes. And definately after a peel. So for me it would be difficult to say whether it was the peels, the use of high frequency, both, or just coincidence that I have been so clear during this time. I should also mention I moisturize twice daily. I did not do that before starting the peels and HF.

Hope that helps.
What kind of high frequency machine did you buy? Where can you get one?

Old 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #11

honeybearkitty HB User

Well, I just bought a 40% peel kit off Ebay containing a 1oz Bottle 10% Glycolic Cleanser, a 1oz Bottle 10% Glycolic Toner, and a 1oz Bottle 40% Glycolic Peel Solution. My skin is used to 15% glycolic acid so I opted for the stronger 40% as opposed to 30%. The kit was cheap, only $12.95 including shipping.

I am so excited to try this! I will definitely let everyone know how it goes.

BTW, my moderate acne is finally under control with Yasmin BC, Retin-A Micro, and Tetracycline. I can't say which of these contributed more. (I started Yasmin 3.5 months ago, and have been using RAM/Tetra for 6.5 weeks.)

Anyway, I'm using this peel mainly to fade red marks and possibly (hopefully!!!) smooth out my slight scarring.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 AM   #12

Teresa470 HB User

I got my glycolic acid on ebay. I think I paid $10 total with shipping. There are probably about 30 applications in the bottle. You don't need much.

My high frequency machine is a Fuji D-219. I got it on Ebay. It was $99 plus shipping.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:50 AM   #13

Teresa470 HB User

Oh, and I have 50% glycolic acid. There are different strengths. My options at the time I believe were 30%, 40%, 50%, or 70%. I had no problems starting with 50% but everyone is different so you have to figure out which one your skin could handle.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:52 AM   #14
Inactive

MadSkillzGal HB User

what does bump mean?

But I wanna know too

Old 04-14-2004, 05:55 PM   #15

dbarker348 HB User

People 'bump' to bring the topic to the front of the board so people will see it more - they bump it up to the top.

Closed Thread