It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
(female)

Mandilyn HB User
Question WHATS YOUR SKIN ROUTINE???

I was just curious on what everyones skin care routine is ??
I dont have one because I havent found something that actually worked for me. Everything I use either stops working for me, makes my skin to oily, or drys out my skin.

I was just wondering if everyone can please post what they are using and if it works. and also say how bad your acne is because different things work on different types of acne.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 11:12 AM   #2

mudpixie HB User
I have mild-ish acne at the moment, LOTS of red marks, and VERY sensitive skin, that gets oily. What I'm doing now seems to be working ok.

AM routine
1) splash face w/ cool water in the shower
2) diluted apple cider vinegar (applied w/ cotton ball)
3) jojoba oil

PM routine
1) wash w/ Burts Bees wild lettuce soap
2) and 3) same as above

Stopped washing w/ soap 2x a day and my face is less blotchy and irritated. The vinegar has faded my red marks really well and as for the jojoba, well, I can't tell yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #3

JimC981 HB User
well, I had moderate acne with blackheads and whiteheads all the time ... now it just seems to be mild with lots of leftover red marks (god I hate them)
this is my current routine which has been in place for about one or two months (since my acne went to mild)

AM -
wash with burts bees lettuce soap
tone (if needed) with burts bees garden tomato toner (not for everyone as I have found out)

apply neutogena healthy skin facial lotion for sensitive skin (is fading my red marks somewhat)

PM -
wash with burts bees lettuce soap
tone with garden tomato toner if needed
apply 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Gel w/ Tea Tree Oil all over my face (sparingly) OR if it's a night when I am feeling particularly dry (One or two nights at most),
then I use aqua glycolic face cream (again, I have to say this has NEVER caused a breakout for me and makes my skin so smooth when I wake up)

- I also use a gentle BP face scrub 2 or three times a week to get all the tougher dry skin off my face - as long as it is man made (Polyethene beads) and you use it gently (whatever you use) it seems to help get the dry skin from my BP use the night before off my face

ok, this is just me guys .. I have quickly come to find out that EVERYBODY is very different as far as their routine and products used .. I have gotten lots of reccomendations that have helped.. some that haven't .. I mean, it's like everyone has their own "secret code" or "secret combination" that they have to unlock to get results and I think (or hope,anyway) that I have found mine -- hope you guys do too !!

Old 06-02-2003, 01:12 PM   #4

joe1234 HB User
wake up
take tetracycline
wash face with stuff from derm
put on benzaclin on somedays

night
wash with other stuff from derm
put on benzaclin
put on differin
take tetracycline

Old 06-02-2003, 03:18 PM   #5

iwannacookie HB User
this is what's keeping me mostly clear for the past 3 months. first, my skin is fair and sensitive though it can tolerate w/o getting red or much peeling retin-a micro .025 and bp 10%. i'm getting occasional pimples now. in the past, i would get about 4-5 persistent pimples a month mostly on my chin. i guess this doesn't sound like many but they were so swollen and persistent. i'm a 26 year old asian female btw.

mornings: i wash my face w/"kiss my face" olive oil soap which i love though it doesn't lather up very well. then i use aveeno's clear complexion toner w/soy sterol and .5% salicylic acid. i put on osmotics spf 25 total body block around my eyes only. i spot treat pimples w/persa gel 10% bp and put on clean and clear's 2% salicylic acid on problem areas as a preventative. i don't mind having some noticeable bp treated areas even at work.

throughout the day i blot up excess oil with clean and clear's blue sheets.

my night routine is the same as my day but i put some aloe vera gel around my eyes.

i used to spend a whole lot of money on products but my face would still be broken out. now i use less products and have cut out all prescription medication from my acne routine w/ great results. i've used retin-a for about 4 years which i believe has helped me not have any noticeable acne scarring.

some additional things i do to keep my face clear are to put on queen helene's mint julep mask at least twice a week and use some baking soda as a scrub once a week.

i'm a big believer in a diet's playing a role, even if small, in mild/moderate acne. so i eat a diet mostly of non gmo organic foods, wild fish not the farm raised kind and no land meats. as a result, my face is clearer than it has ever been meaning there were times my face was full of hard to get rid of pimples and now i just get an occasional pimple. but i have to say the older i get the less acne i have.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:35 PM   #6
(female)

Mandilyn HB User
Thanks I will try those things!! I hope it works cause nothing ever seems too.

Old 06-02-2003, 08:28 PM   #7

Tummy HB User
If I could, I would like to give some suggestions. I've obviously had acne for a long time, but things have really started to die down the last 5 months or so and though I still break out, its usually just one or two major cystic pimples every month that hang around for a week. It used to be MUCH worse.

Mudpixie, your regime to me seems to be ok, but I would seriously considering not using Vinegar. Vinegar is a MAJOR skin irritant and though it is great for open zits because it effectively kills and drys bacteria it will make your face extremely red. I would suggest either using the Vinegar less and stopping it all together except for popped zits and perhaps use some Aloe Vera or Neosporin on the really bad spots. Essentially Neosporin is just a powerful zinc that will help heal your skin much quicker.

Jim, I like your routine and seems its working better for you. The aqua glycolic face cream is probably what is clearning you up the best. Is your BP mixed with Tea Tree or are they separate. The two together can be very skin irritating and likely that is why you have red marks that stick around for a while. If they are separate products I'd stop using one for a while. And if possible I have found Azelex (skinoren) to be more effective than BP in killing bacteria and it doesnt irrate your skin and shouldnt leave behind long standing red marks.

Joe, does this really work for you? Your night routine seems to me like it is death to your skin. Benzaclin and Differin shouldn't be used at the same time. I think you should stick with one in the morning and one at night. Adding the two products doesnt increase their acne fighting affects, just increases the irration. BUt hey, if it works for you, then great!

As Jim said, everyone has different skin, but obviously most people are still here because their skin is still not at a point in which they are complelet satisfied. I'm just giving some general suggestions based on my research and analysis with patients of my dermatologist. BP is a major skin irritant and so is combining many forms of treatment. I knwo I used to use like 4 products at night thinking that I could overpower and zap a zit and what I did was create a redder, but smaller pimple, that had a red mark for days. Hope some of my suggestions help and if not, I'm just trying to help so don't shoot me down too much. Acne sucks and it's one of the worst things that happen to the best people. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #8

JimC981 HB User
hey tummy, thanks 4 the feedback .. my bp gel is 5% with tea tree oil mixed in ... I was using a bp gel that was 10% strength mixed with sulfur ... it was kinda harsh too ... this 5% seems to be less irratating than before ... still keeping those ugly whiteheads away, though ... I agree with u on the aqua glycolic part, too .. I have been using that for months now at night when I need it and it has done wonders for my complexion .. can't say enough good things about it !!! I have heard alot of good things about azelex as well ... hopefully I can get in to see my derm. soon and see about that one.. any other suggestions on something that can go with my bp w/ tea tree oil to help with red marks ?

Old 06-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #9

JimC981 HB User
hey tummy, thanks 4 the feedback .. my bp gel is 5% with tea tree oil mixed in ... I was using a bp gel that was 10% strength mixed with sulfur ... it was kinda harsh too ... this 5% seems to be less irratating than before ... still keeping those ugly whiteheads away, though ... I agree with u on the aqua glycolic part, too .. I have been using that for months now at night when I need it and it has done wonders for my complexion .. can't say enough good things about it !!! I have heard alot of good things about azelex as well ... hopefully I can get in to see my derm. soon and see about that one.. any other suggestions on something that can go with my bp w/ tea tree oil to help with red marks ?

Old 06-03-2003, 06:51 AM   #10

JimC981 HB User
sorry guys didn't mean to double post !!!

Old 06-03-2003, 07:25 AM   #11

MysteryGrl HB User
I have mild but persistent cysts. Right now I have two big annoying ones and one that's fading. This is my routine:

AM:
Wash with Aveeno Acne Treatment Bar
Spot treat with 4% BP
Take 100 mg of minocycline

PM:
Same as above, but add jojoba oil to moisturize.

It seems to be working very well for me, and once I get rid of these 2 nasty cysts, I'll finally be clear!

Old 06-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #12

MysteryGrl HB User
Sorry, double posted.

[This message has been edited by MysteryGrl (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 07:26 AM   #13

MysteryGrl HB User
Sorry, triple posted.

[This message has been edited by MysteryGrl (edited 06-03-2003).]

Old 06-03-2003, 08:06 AM   #14

mudpixie HB User
Tummy- thanks for the reply. Actually vinegar is a natural 7% AHA- you're right it is a skin irritant, but only in the sense that it forces your dead skin to flake off. When used over a long period of time it actually restores the acid mantle of your skin. I don't know if we're allowed to direct other posters to websites but try doing a search for "apple cider vinegar" and many of the sites will say this. I dilute it and it has never made my face red or sting, I have been using it for 3 weeks and it has made my red marks and rolling scars fade sooo much.

JimC1981- do you know if aqua glycolic is available in the u.s.?

Old 06-03-2003, 08:14 AM   #15

JimC981 HB User
yes, aqua glycolic is available here in the US ... most major drugstores carry it... Eckerds is the only one that carries it on the shelf ... the other ones like CVS or walmart you have the ask the pharmacist for it (if their out of it, they can order it for you)

Closed Thread