It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
(female)

iHEARTsummer HB User
Doxycycline and ortho tri cycline lo

Hi, I am a college student and I have been having problems with my acne. I went to my dermatologist and she put me on Doxycycline. I use this 2 times a day and i also use differin topical gel. But I am also on ortho tri cycline lo. Is this safe to be taking both of these pills. I have heard that taking doxycycline with ortho-lo, will interfere with the ortho-lo and my birth control will not be protecting me.

Also since I am on both of these, would it be a smarter idea for me just to increase my birth control to regular orth-tri-cycline and then kick the doxycycline pills?

Please help!

Old 02-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
(female)

Evey55 HB User
Re: Doxycycline and ortho tri cycline lo

My daughter is also on doxycylcine and ortho tri cycline lo and has been for over a year. She has had no problems. Her derm told her the antibiotic would NOT interfere with her birth control. She has cleared up wonderfully.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

rockabillyren HB User

i am sorry to contradict the last post, but i feel that it is my duty as a female to inform you that doxycycline WILL interfere with your birth control pills. i took doxy for about a year and my dermatologist and the pharmasists at SavOn told me to use a condom with my boyfriend every time while on Doxy because it lowers the strength of the birth control pills. Please be careful, god bless, rockabillyren

Old 02-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
(female)

Evey55 HB User

I was quite surprised when my daughter's derm told her the antibiotic would not interfere with her birth control...it contridicted everything I'd ever read.
So, I did question him and he said it absolutely would not. She is and has been seually active the entire time with no problems, but who knows.
I'm not an expert.

Please call your derm who gave you the prescription for the doxy and see what he says. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck

Old 02-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
(female)

acnemom HB User

I have asked 2 different pharmacists (I think they are more knowledgeable than docs) and they both said to use another form of bc while on the doxy.

Closed Thread