It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

Broken_Inside HB User
Proper Diet to reduce acne?

Can someone give me a full detailed list of a diet that they follow that has shown to help out there acne situation. I mean exactly what you eat for every meal through out the day.

I was doing some research on the internet and looking at old threads on this site and am now aware of the impact that diet has on acne. I'm a 19 year old male and i've been eating unhealthy for most of my life. I've always been skinny and in shape so I figured I could eat whatever I wanted since I wouldn't gain any weight. I now realize that although unhealty food might not casue be to gain weight or cause other health problems, it does cause bad acne.

There have been times in my life where i have ate realitivly healthy for a period of time and noticed a small reduction in acne. And other times when i've eatin really unhealthy for a period of time and noticed big spikes in acne, but never really put to much thought into this patern. Recently I ate a ton of burgerking one day, tons of KFC the next day, pizzia and french fires the next day ect ect.. and saw a huge increase in acne. For the next week I ate less fast food and over time my acne went down slightly.

For a long time now i've been on a very unhealtly eating partern. I've always drank a ton of milk, as I don't like soda, or coffee, or ice tea ect. I've eaten tons of starches and carbs. The only vegatables I eat are potatoes and corn. Never anything green. I've eaten very little to no fruit. I've eaten tons of pasta, rice, macaroni. And probally the worst thing tons of junk food like potato chips.

I used to eat chocolate all the time but stopped half way through high school, and noticed my acne wasn't as bad. I usually never eat chocolate but every once in a while i do. Like I ate a whole bag of M&M's during christmas break and notice a spike in acne over the course of the next few days. I determined a while ago that chocolate impacted my acne but never really thought about the other food.

After doing research it seems as though some of the worst foods for acne are dairy, sugar, junk food ect.. and that's all i really eat. What I would like to know is what kind of foods make up a good diet to reduce acne, and what specifically you eat. Every time i read something it says don't eat this or don't eat that, but doesn't really give a layout for what a regular diet structure should be.

For those you have been following a diet and have had big drop off in acne, what exactly are you eating? I read that cereal is bad. So what is alright to eat in the morning? Would a couple of eggs and orange juice be alright? Some places listed bread as be very bad, and others say it's fine. Is there a certain type of bread that is bad, and one that is good? And does toasting it make it alright? I read that most meats are good to eat, as is seafood. I like tuna so i wouldn't mind eating that, but how much is too much, and how much is the right amount?

I'm a picky eater but i'm willing to change my diet if it means a drop off in acne. I know eating chicken and vegtables is alright, but I can't eat the same dinner every night. So is there anyone that is willing to list out a weekly diet that they have been following, that is resonable.

I know that exericise is important too. I was reading some things that say a high amount of carbs are alright, but only if you exersice for at least 30 mintues right after you eat them. Is this the case? Has anyone tried this?

Also if you could list out what you use on your face. What exact products you use, and how you use them throught out the day.

Last edited by Broken_Inside; 02-06-2006 at 12:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User
Re: Proper Diet to reduce acne?

First off, you're going about this the wrong way. Instead of expecting someone to tell you what to eat, you should decide that for yourself. The best we can do is tell you what NOT to eat. Planning one's meals becomes a lot simpler when you're able to eliminate so many foods. In this case, your research is correct. Processed foods, foods with sugar, oily foods, and dairy all contribute to acne. You should be avoiding these foods, but not just because they cause acne. These foods cause all kinds of more serious health problems. If sugar can rot your teeth or make your skin break out, then imagine what it must be doing to the rest of you.

The reason you won't find many plans that tell you what to eat is because it's assumed everyone already knows what to eat. Fruits, vegetables, lean meats, fish, and nuts. Basically ask yourself one very simple question when you look at a certain food. Was this food manufactured or does it exist in nature? An apple is clearly something nature created. A box of cookies is not.

A good cleaning routine is a must. I clean twice a day with a benzoyl peroxide soap. I also use regular soap and water. If I exercise, I clean up as soon as I'm done. I avoid touching my face with my hands. I also wipe any excess oil buildup.

Be sure to drink plenty of water. It's great for the skin. You shouldn't be drinking anything else.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
(male)

Broken_Inside HB User

Yes I know that different people are going to require different diets. I know what to eat for lunch and dinner but i'm not sure about breakfast. Are eggs generally alright? And what about bread. Those are really the only two things i'm not sure about. I would eat ceral but i'm trying to cut out dariy all together.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Eggs are fine, but if you eat them often, eat the egg whites, not the whole eggs. Whole wheat bread is better than white bread. Plain oatmeal is better than cereal. Eat the oatmeal with fruit.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
(male)

Broken_Inside HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch
Eggs are fine, but if you eat them often, eat the egg whites, not the whole eggs. Whole wheat bread is better than white bread. Plain oatmeal is better than cereal. Eat the oatmeal with fruit.
Ok thanks for your help

Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #6
(male)

Ihaveadream HB User

Some things I have changed are to reduce the GI of what I eat. For examples:-

Instead of Pasta, rice, wholemeal bread I now eat 100% duram wheat pasta, basmatti/ brown rice, soya & linseed bread. They are all just as tasty but better for you. Other things I eat are loads of fruit and veg, milk, oatmeal, special K, meat, fish.

I recommend you read the 'Digestive System Cleanse' thread as well.

Closed Thread