It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 06:35 AM   #1

xxxemmaxxx HB User
Unhappy new help for my acne

hey everyone!
ifirstly, im so glad i found these boards coz i live in England, UK, so there isnt much help sites for acne as it isnt as common over here.

Anyway, iv had acne for 6 years now (im 17) and for the last two yrs it has remained severe. ive tried erythromycin, minocyclin, dianette contraceptive pill (fink it translates to the USA version of Diane-35?) and have used Zineryt topical gel, Benzyol peroxide and am currently on Differin.

My regime at the mo is:
Tea tree face wash
simple moisturiser (it says it contains B5)
8 glasses of water per day
Dianette pill for acne
Multivitamins and zinc
Differin gel.

None of the above has helped the slightest. i have started using apple cider vingar during the day but wash it off b4 bed to allow me to use differin. Should i try somethin completely different? Shud i go to the doctors again and ask for benzyol peroxide cream again instead of differin as i hear more positive stuff about that on here than about differin (ive only been on differin 3 weeks though)

Uk stores dont sell B5 as a supplement on its own. Where caN I get it from? and if i find it somewhere, how many tablets of B5 do i take a day for severe acne?

sorry for all the questions, acne has destroyed my teenage years that r supposed 2 b the best years and i dont want to reach 18 with all this again. my derm suggested Roaccutane but my family forbid me to go on it for the side effects, and im worrid even if i went on it, came off it for a while, wud the acne return>?

Thanks everyone in advance, hope to hear ur responses!! and if any1 readin this is from UK please reply thanx pals!

em xxxx

------------------
Smile :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 06:56 AM   #2

CHICKLET9 HB User
Talking

I just thought i would answer bout the B5.
There is the store holland and barratt that sell B5 In big tubs.
it is quite expensive though, but if it works then i'd give it a try if i were u

Old 06-04-2003, 07:02 AM   #3

xxxemmaxxx HB User
thanx alot...i think theres one of those near me actually! thanks!

do u take it? i need help with my dosage etc
Thanx again

em xxxxxxx

Old 06-04-2003, 07:07 AM   #4

CHICKLET9 HB User
Talking

Glad to help.....

I was going to start taking it, but then my derm decided to put me on accutane so i didnt have to.

But i have heared loads of good things bout b5 working for all kinds of acne, so i am sure it wil work for ya.

People on here will be able to give you the correct dosage info.....

Old 06-04-2003, 07:14 AM   #5
(male)

Jonesy HB User
Regarding roaccutane I finished it about 4 weeks ago, and even if it does come back it is rarely anywhere near as bad as before, plus the fact that every course of roaccutane makes it less and less likely that it will come back. The majority of those who use it never have a significant problem again.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:17 AM   #6
Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User
Cool

Hello Emma,
Someone from Birmingham here
As chicklet said you'll find b5 at holland and barratt under the name pantothenic acidif you can't find it ask. You get 100 500mg tablets for £9..(quite pricey)
2 x 500mg = 1g
so if you wanted to take 3g you'll need to take 6 tablets. I personally think you should start off low as what i did. My acne wasn't severe but was mild/moderate at the time so i started on 2.5g and upped to 3.5g. Its best you do the same and start on something like 2g and your mostly going to have to up your dose since you have severe acne. Another reason why you should start low is to avoid the initial breakout.

You should results in 3/4 month so be patient! im no longer taking b5 since like most stuff the effects wore off ...so just to warn to it might be a temporary fix ...GOOD LUCK! and if you have any other questions i'll be happy to help

P.S -- there are loads of people from the U.K on here there just to lazy to reply lol :P

~*Kashy*~

------------------
~*ººBaBi FaCeºº*~

~*ºWhatever happens, happens for a reason.º*~

Old 06-04-2003, 01:16 PM   #7

xxxemmaxxx HB User
thanx loads for ur replies....

so do u think i should take about 4 tablets a day to begin with? and when do i take them? at the same time or spread out across the day? im abit scared of taking them to be honest.

how bad/gud is ur acne now? what did u find helped the most?

em xxxxxx

Old 06-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User
Cool

Its best to start low like 2g (4 tablets)or 3g(6 tablets)2g = you can take 1g in the morning and 1g just b4 you go to bed. 3g = you can take 1g in the morning 1g about say 4-5pm and the other 1g just b4 you go to bed. its up to you!

I think everybody should atleast give b5 a try and not be discouraged b/c afew people may of had bad experiences or the effects wore off (like me)...

I was on b5 for over a year and it took 3/4 until i was seeing dramatic results, so be patient. I was never 100% clear but clear enough to make me happy. I also brokeout 5 days after taking it and also due to upping my dose and added 50mg of zinc (this is why i recommend you start low)..also the side effects i had were it messed up my monthly cycle, i lost little weight at first but put it back on, it made me tired and opened my appetite

GOOD LUCK!

~*Kashy*~

------------------
~*ººBaBi FaCeºº*~

~*ºWhatever happens, happens for a reason.º*~

Old 06-04-2003, 01:39 PM   #9

xxxemmaxxx HB User
well i'll have to give it a try now to see how i find it...
im on the contraceptive pill for my acne so will my period still come wen i have a week off it do you think, like normal? or will it mess it up even if im on the pill?

thanx in advance!!
em xxxx

Old 06-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I've found if I stick with 6 grams (and no less)I maintain clear skin and the clogged pores continue to release the sebum, shrink, and not come back. That's l2 B5s a day. I think that's a very small price to pay for clear skin. I can go for a month and a half for $43 (including S/H), and I'm saving a fortune by not having to wear makeup anymore!

Closed Thread