It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2003, 08:50 PM   #1

HiMyNameIs HB User
Question About To Begin Accutane

I'm about to begin using Accutane pretty soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me to watch out for or to use while on it? For example, dry lips? dry skin? nose bleeds? hair thinning? eye vision? what's a good face wash to use? etc.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran

TiredOfThisAll HB User
watch out for all of those.. they are all potential side effects..

I can't help you out with the face wash though.. I just wash with water now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 08:43 PM   #3

bargainshopper HB User
i was considering going on accutane, but then i read up on all of the potentially dangerous side-affects such as depression and links to suicide *gasp*. i don't think it's worth taking because there are many other things out there that can be just as effective w/out the nasty side effects. hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:59 PM   #4

justlikeyou HB User
DONT DO IT!

Old 06-03-2003, 12:11 AM   #5

mouseee HB User
why not?

Old 06-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #6
Inactive

blueeyedbia HB User
1) Stay out of the sun

2) Use Aquaphor on your lips

3) As for a cleanser, find something gentle that doesn't dry you out

Old 06-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
(female)

amb1 HB User
Yes the side-effects can be bad, but that's why it is IMPERATIVE that Accutane is taken under close supervision. My derm is awesome, coaching me through the whole thing.

So far, it has been 34 days and I am actually beginning to smooth out. No initial breakout. The only side effect I have is dry lips.

I AM SO PUMPED!!

I was really debating over and over whether I should 'just do it', but looking back on it now I would have done the same thing again. I think one of the most important things is that you have a derm that is really supportive and educated on the whole process.

Good Luck!
Amy

Old 06-03-2003, 03:34 PM   #8

Sparkle0036 HB User
accutane has been a lifesaver for me. all these people who say there are other things you can use, it might be true for them, but it wans't for me. i had used 4-5 oral antibiotics. none of them worked even slightly. now, after 6 months on accutane with minimal side effects, i still get a zit or two here and there, but it is such an improvement!

dry skin: for me, most any moisturizer worked. purpose, cetaphil. both excellent. cetaphil if you're very dry.

dry lips: exfoliate gently every day with a wet washcloth. just rub it back and forth between your lips. this is to get the nasty dead skin off. proceed to slather with aquaphor. I use the stuff all the time.

dry eyes: eyedrops.

dry nose: slather aquaphor up your nose, too! it helped keep me from getting nosebleeds. just stick a dab up your nostril (lovely, i know).

hair thinning: not likely. it happens, but not often.

depression/suicide: there are no official links between these and accutane. as my derm says, the links are legal, not medical. if you start getting majorly depressed, call your doctor and stop taking accutane. i have only been happier since i started accutane. you do need to be aware of this as a side effect though.

my favorite face wash for accutane patients, which i will probably use for the rest of my life, is Eucerin Gentle Hydrating Cleanser.

Good luck, and keep us updating on your progress!!

Old 06-04-2003, 07:32 PM   #9

HiMyNameIs HB User
I was also wondering what would be a good mostorizure to use for your face after washing your face?...becuase I'll probably most likely get hella dry skin, infact I get dry skin now a days. So, even from past experience Accutane users, what did(are) you use to keep your skin from drying up on your face?

Old 06-04-2003, 08:29 PM   #10
Inactive

blueeyedbia HB User
Some people have said that while Accutane, they took some Vitamin E to help with all the dryness.

Closed Thread