HealthBoards (
-   Acne (
-   -   Please help with my B5 questions! (

Houdini 06-02-2003 06:53 AM

Please help with my B5 questions!

I've read through some of the old threads here and found that some people have gotten help for oily skin by taking vitamin B5. I have a few questions about it, and hope someone will be able to provide some input. My info: I'm a 35 year old female, very oily skin (only on face), don't really have acne problems but do have a few blackheads. My biggest complaint is the oil. Hope you can help me out!

How much should I take per day? Do I start with a low dosage & work myself up to a larger dosage?

Do you have to keep taking it forever, or can you eventually stop taking it?

Should I take a pill that has just B5, or can I take a B complex that has B5 in it - is there a difference in effectiveness?

What are possible side effects I could experience?

Also, I saw some mention of saw palmetto... is that something that could also help oily skin?

Thanks for your help!

xxxemmaxxx 06-02-2003 08:02 AM

im the same here, i heard B5 is gud but here in england ive looked in all stores and the only cloesest thing is Vitamin B Complex.

is there such thing as B5 supplement alone in england or just B Complex which contains B5? do u take a tablet a day? im already on Dianette for acne and take Multivitamins+zinc tablets too.

em xxxxxxxxxx

mudpixie 06-02-2003 11:29 AM

If you are using B5 to treat oily skin, most people start out w/ 10 grams/day. Its a lot, but B5 is water soluble so whatever you don't need gets flushed out in urine. You only have to stay on 10g/day until your oil decreases to a level you're comfortable with. From there you can work down to about 2g/day.

It takes a while to work I think, you might not see any oil reduction for a few weeks and then it should start slowly going down.

When you take this much B5, you have to take a B-complex WITH the B5, too much of one B vitamin can cause deficieny in other B vitamins. I read you should also take zinc with it.

I never had any side effects from B5 but some people have had diarrhea the first few days.

xxxemmaxxx- you can order B5 online. do a search for B5 supplements.

Quick Pick 06-02-2003 12:28 PM

B5 is also known as Pantothenic Acid, so do a search for that too.

TimDream 06-02-2003 09:30 PM

[b]IF[/b] you do happen to see results from using B5, you do need to keep taking it to maintain the results. If you stop taking it, the acne comes back. :(

Side-effects that have been mentioned on this board (you can do a search):
- Diarrhea
- Rosacea
- Kidney problems
- Menstruation problems
- Headaches
- Hair loss

Sorry. I don't trust it. [img][/img]

linnybee428 06-02-2003 10:07 PM

I've been using B5 for almost 2 weeks, but havent really seen any results yet. Hoping it will kick in soon though

Scarred for Life 06-02-2003 10:27 PM

Why not just follow a low carb diet? I took pantothenic acid for 8 years. The results were great, but eventually the oilyness came back as did the acne. By eating low carb and taking only 1 g pantothenic acid a day, my oilyness is GONE. I once went 2 days without showering and my skin and hair were dry. It is amazing.

poreoilyme 06-03-2003 05:30 AM

Linnybee, stick with it. They say it takes two weeks for B5 to really kick in. I know in my case, right after two weeks, I started noticing a dramatic improvement. How many grams are you taking?

elsie9191 06-03-2003 01:12 PM

I tried Acne-Rid (B5) for about 8 weeks. It's hard to say if it improved my skin or not the first few weeks but after about week 7 I had a pretty bad breakout. Also, my period was a week early and was only lasted 2 days. Kinda freaked me out, so I'm off of them now. I do not have very oily skin, so I can't really say anything about drying up oil.

kweli 06-03-2003 01:39 PM

will i break out if i start.. im no tetracyclin and my derm said i can take both fine...but im wondering since im on tetracyclin and differin if id break out bad.. thanks

CaptainV 06-03-2003 05:51 PM

i was on B5 at 10g/day for about 3 weeks when i started noticing a dramatic improvement in regards to a reduction in the oil, smoother feel to my face, and far fewer breakouts. i did have the initial breakout about week 1 into the therapy.

my advice is to give it a go and stick with it for at least a month. i'm a little over a month into mine and i really like the results.

Houdini 06-04-2003 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone. Do you know if B5 will have any problems interacting with meds I'm on (Ortho Novum & Lipitor)?

ScarredForLife, I did try the low-carb thing awhile back. Didn't affect my skin at all, and made me miserable since I'm a carb addict. So I'll give the B5 a try.

Thanks again!

"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Anastacia15 06-05-2003 07:37 AM

I also heard that Clinac O.C is really great for oily skin, and is just a gel like substance that you put on your face. The only problem is that i can't get it in my country, Britain, does anyone know manufacturers of this product which i could get in the country? I'm not really fond of ordering online!!

poreoilyme 06-05-2003 07:57 AM

Try Oc8, it's basically the same thing and works great. Scouselad is in England and he uses it.

xKaShyLahx 06-05-2003 09:22 AM

Of course you can get it in England silly :p
The manufacturer's are English..if you do a search for their website you can have them send you some free samples. I got some but was scared to use it b/c of the strong smell

~*Kashy*~ :wave:

~*ººBaBi FaCeºº*~

~*ºWhatever happens, happens for a reason.º*~