It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 06:53 AM   #1
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Question Please help with my B5 questions!

Hello!

I've read through some of the old threads here and found that some people have gotten help for oily skin by taking vitamin B5. I have a few questions about it, and hope someone will be able to provide some input. My info: I'm a 35 year old female, very oily skin (only on face), don't really have acne problems but do have a few blackheads. My biggest complaint is the oil. Hope you can help me out!

How much should I take per day? Do I start with a low dosage & work myself up to a larger dosage?

Do you have to keep taking it forever, or can you eventually stop taking it?

Should I take a pill that has just B5, or can I take a B complex that has B5 in it - is there a difference in effectiveness?

What are possible side effects I could experience?

Also, I saw some mention of saw palmetto... is that something that could also help oily skin?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 08:02 AM   #2

xxxemmaxxx HB User
im the same here, i heard B5 is gud but here in england ive looked in all stores and the only cloesest thing is Vitamin B Complex.

is there such thing as B5 supplement alone in england or just B Complex which contains B5? do u take a tablet a day? im already on Dianette for acne and take Multivitamins+zinc tablets too.

Thanx

em xxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2003, 11:29 AM   #3

mudpixie HB User
If you are using B5 to treat oily skin, most people start out w/ 10 grams/day. Its a lot, but B5 is water soluble so whatever you don't need gets flushed out in urine. You only have to stay on 10g/day until your oil decreases to a level you're comfortable with. From there you can work down to about 2g/day.

It takes a while to work I think, you might not see any oil reduction for a few weeks and then it should start slowly going down.

When you take this much B5, you have to take a B-complex WITH the B5, too much of one B vitamin can cause deficieny in other B vitamins. I read you should also take zinc with it.

I never had any side effects from B5 but some people have had diarrhea the first few days.

xxxemmaxxx- you can order B5 online. do a search for B5 supplements.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #4

Quick Pick HB User
B5 is also known as Pantothenic Acid, so do a search for that too.

Old 06-02-2003, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Thumbs down

IF you do happen to see results from using B5, you do need to keep taking it to maintain the results. If you stop taking it, the acne comes back.

Side-effects that have been mentioned on this board (you can do a search):
- Diarrhea
- Rosacea
- Kidney problems
- Menstruation problems
- Headaches
- Hair loss

Sorry. I don't trust it. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif

Old 06-02-2003, 10:07 PM   #6
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Question

I've been using B5 for almost 2 weeks, but havent really seen any results yet. Hoping it will kick in soon though

Old 06-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
Inactive

Scarred for Life HB User
Lightbulb

Why not just follow a low carb diet? I took pantothenic acid for 8 years. The results were great, but eventually the oilyness came back as did the acne. By eating low carb and taking only 1 g pantothenic acid a day, my oilyness is GONE. I once went 2 days without showering and my skin and hair were dry. It is amazing.

Old 06-03-2003, 05:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Linnybee, stick with it. They say it takes two weeks for B5 to really kick in. I know in my case, right after two weeks, I started noticing a dramatic improvement. How many grams are you taking?

Old 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #9

elsie9191 HB User
I tried Acne-Rid (B5) for about 8 weeks. It's hard to say if it improved my skin or not the first few weeks but after about week 7 I had a pretty bad breakout. Also, my period was a week early and was only lasted 2 days. Kinda freaked me out, so I'm off of them now. I do not have very oily skin, so I can't really say anything about drying up oil.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:39 PM   #10

kweli HB User
will i break out if i start.. im no tetracyclin and my derm said i can take both fine...but im wondering since im on tetracyclin and differin if id break out bad.. thanks

Old 06-03-2003, 05:51 PM   #11

CaptainV HB User
i was on B5 at 10g/day for about 3 weeks when i started noticing a dramatic improvement in regards to a reduction in the oil, smoother feel to my face, and far fewer breakouts. i did have the initial breakout about week 1 into the therapy.

my advice is to give it a go and stick with it for at least a month. i'm a little over a month into mine and i really like the results.

Old 06-04-2003, 06:27 AM   #12
Inactive

Houdini HB User
Thanks for the info, everyone. Do you know if B5 will have any problems interacting with meds I'm on (Ortho Novum & Lipitor)?

ScarredForLife, I did try the low-carb thing awhile back. Didn't affect my skin at all, and made me miserable since I'm a carb addict. So I'll give the B5 a try.

Thanks again!

------------------
"If there are no [mastiffs] in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

- Will Rogers

Old 06-05-2003, 07:37 AM   #13
(female)

Anastacia15 HB User
I also heard that Clinac O.C is really great for oily skin, and is just a gel like substance that you put on your face. The only problem is that i can't get it in my country, Britain, does anyone know manufacturers of this product which i could get in the country? I'm not really fond of ordering online!!

Old 06-05-2003, 07:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Try Oc8, it's basically the same thing and works great. Scouselad is in England and he uses it.

Old 06-05-2003, 09:22 AM   #15
Veteran

xKaShyLahx HB User
Cool

Of course you can get it in England silly
The manufacturer's are English..if you do a search for their website you can have them send you some free samples. I got some but was scared to use it b/c of the strong smell

~*Kashy*~

------------------
~*ººBaBi FaCeºº*~

~*ºWhatever happens, happens for a reason.º*~

Closed Thread