It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
(male)

kHan artist HB User
Toners - Good or Bad?

I've read (from numerous sources) that toners/astringents are not recommended for ppl with acne because they can clog pores by closing them? Is this true from ppl with experience with toners?

I'm assuming toners are the same thing as astringents, am i correect?

Old 02-18-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
(male)

primo1 HB User
Re: Toners - Good or Bad?

well you could always say that AHA, BHA, or basically any chemical exfoliant can be called as toner. it's good for your skin actually. it exfoliates your skin and keeps you free from dead skin cells which can clog your pores. so i couldn't see why it's bad to use this for people with acne skin. what's bad in an AHA/BHA toner?

astringents in the other hand is not like a toner. toner "tones" your skin and astringents doesn't. astingent's for face use is just like a cleanser only in a bottled form and used with a cotton ball and i think it's more concentrated. those ads in the television that claims to clean sinks, tables, etc. are called astingents. so i think this is what you're referring to as people with acne skin should avoid. why? over cleansing your face is not a good idea and bad for your skin after all. why would you need to cleanse your face with a concentrated version when ordinary facial cleansers can deal with this anyway?

hope this helps.

Last edited by primo1; 02-18-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
(female)

CreditQueen HB User

I don't think toners are bad for people with acne, one just has to take into consideration, what ELSE is being used in conjunction with it. Yes, AHA's, BHA"s and the like are "good" for the top layer renewal of the skin, however they are contraindicated for the person using something like RAM, Tazorac, or any other retinoid topical that ALREADY works to shed the top layer of the skin.

The only 'toner" I ever liked was the step 2 glycolic toner in the Proactiv system, but understand I was only using their 3 step plan at the time. I could never combine it with the prescription Tazorac I presently use, because it simply is not necessary after gentle, but effective cleansing. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
(male)

kHan artist HB User

I use a gentle cleanser in the morning and sometimes midday if i get too oily and i use an AHA exfoliating cleanser at night. However, I have dry flaky skin (due to the the sulfur spot treatment i use) so do you think a "toner" could be helpful for me?

Thanks again for your advice!

Old 02-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
(male)

primo1 HB User

well imo, you should exfoliate your skin with something. so an AHA toner is very useful and considering you're using a gentle cleanser which im sure has no exfoliating properties. regarding the dry skin you're experiencing, i suggest using an AHA with moisturizing properties such as those aveeno alpha moisturizing(?)... or you can also moisturize after using your toner.

my regimen is i wash my face with aveeno ultra-calming cleanser in the am and pm and an ACV diluted with water as a toner (1:4 ratio)

HTH.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

Toners are not bad for the skin.People will asume that it is bad for people with acne because it closes the pores.This it does but firstly you should use a cleanser to get rid of any oil or dirt on the skin.Then a toner to close the pores and then a moisturiser.People with acne normally have oily skin so they sometimes dont use a moisturiser as they think it will make there skin greasier.You can buy moisturisers for people with oily skin.

I had acne quite bad a few years ago.Until i went to college and did beauty.I learned how to treat acne and cleansing ,toning and moisturising morning and night helped clear my acne quite abit.It didnt get rid of it totally but it worked better than any of the creams and tablets id got from the doctors.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User

I think toners are great as long as they don't have alcohol.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

If your skin is sensitive it is best to use a toner that has no alcohol but otherwise its fine to you one with alcohol in.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
(female)

EscarlyT HB User

can a toner be used to even the skin in my case discolorations on forehead and such?

Old 02-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Dan_Sims HB User

I agree about getting a toner without alcohol.
I like the Dove essential nutrients Toner.
It has Green Tea, Grape Seed, Vitamin A, E, B5 and Zinc. Its a non alcohol toner and non comedogenic.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #11
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

Toners dont even skin discolourations.They are used as part of a cleansing process.Have you tried using certain foundations?

Old 02-23-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
(male)

primo1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni_no12002
Toners dont even skin discolourations.They are used as part of a cleansing process.Have you tried using certain foundations?
actually it does even out skin discolorations. toner's job is to remove the dead skin cells which in turn decreases the appearance of discolorations slowly. oh and the percentage of the main ingredient varies, so the higher the percentage, the faster it will shed the top layer of the skin.

Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baby_hands HB User

I think toners are too much for acne prone skin. The skin should only be lightly cleaned. Just enough to remove the dirt. The objective is to soothe the skin so it can heal.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #14
(male)

Anonym0us HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_hands
I think toners are too much for acne prone skin. The skin should only be lightly cleaned. Just enough to remove the dirt. The objective is to soothe the skin so it can heal.
so the dead skin cells can clog the pores? give me a break! cleansers cant do anything about the dead skin cells EXCEPT if it has those harsh beads or a mild SA in it.

Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
(female)

Toni_no12002 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo1
actually it does even out skin discolorations. toner's job is to remove the dead skin cells which in turn decreases the appearance of discolorations slowly. oh and the percentage of the main ingredient varies, so the higher the percentage, the faster it will shed the top layer of the skin.
A toner isnt there to correct skin discolourations.toners remove residue left behind by cleansers, return the skin to its natural ph level, close the pores and prepare the skin for moisturiser.Nowhere does it say that a toner can even out skin discoloration.Its too mild.

If you have skin discolorations most of the time its more far bedded into the skin than on the top layers.
Yes a toner does have acid in but it is very mild.A toners main purpose is to tighten pores,which is why its called a toner.

People with skin discolorations may have sensitive skin so if you buy a toner too harsh it will only make matters worse.

you can buy certain creams for skin discolorations.Glycolic acid Is an ingredient in some that may help.You can buy it in quite a few shops.Im sure ive seen it in boots.Its a skin peel,it removes some layers of skin.Before you try anything out though id recommend reading the instructions fully and doing a test patch first incase of an allergy.

Last edited by Toni_no12002; 02-24-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Closed Thread