It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #1

wheatthin HB User
differin vs retin a micro vs tazorac

I've been using differin gel at bedtime for 6 weeks. I use MD Forte II facial cleanser bid and Clindagel in the am. I've seen some improvement in my breakouts, but the skin on my upper lip seems very flaky and weird - hard to describe it - not smooth.. I have alot of photodamage and am hoping to see an improvement in that as well. Wondering if anyone out there has used any other retinoids, like retin a micro or tazorac and if they are any better than differin. I am trying to be patient, but it's not easy. BTW, I'm 39 yo female with new onset acne about a year ago after stopping oral contraceptives. Never had much of a problem 'til then. Grrr. I'm supposed to be worrying about wrinkles, not acne (so I'm worrying about both now!). Thanks for any info/advice.
Wheatthin

Last edited by wheatthin; 02-19-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

CreditQueen HB User
Re: differin vs retin a micro vs tazorac

Hi wheatthin,

I wanted to respond because I have used all 3 retinoids you speak of. I am a female, age 44, cystic acne, for at least 30 years. Retin a and Retin a micro both worked well for me for a LONG time and because I do suffer from acne cystic in nature, I will be using retinoids always ( They will also help in the anti winkling that you speak of). Retin a micro has stopped being as effective for me so now I am using Tazorac, just for a change and to jump start my skin a bit and it is helping very much. I will mention that I am taking an oral antibiotic as well as applying Duac topical in the morning.Tazorac is stronger than Retin a micro as a course of therapy. I used Differin for about 12 weeks and saw only brief improvement.

You mentioned that you are flakey above the lip. Keep your medication away from this area entirely. Like you, I like the sun, just remember to sunscreen when using these medications.

I know you must be frustrated, because adult onset acne is hard to deal with, but all hormonal, and stress related in my opinion. Hang in there and if I can answer any other questions, I will try to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Kymberlee HB User

I have used both Retin-a and Retin-a Micro. They both worked well for me. I am now using Tazorac which is working even better,IMO. I'm 42 yrs. old and have had acne for years (seems like forever!) I started getting acne in my teens and it has never gone away! I have super oily skin and HUGE, ugly pores. I've always wanted the smooth, creamy skin you see all the stars have on tv. Now I've just accepted the fact that I will never have "perfect" skin. Ho,hummmm. I try to get my skin the best it can look with make-up. Since I'm older I've been using less make-up (I use minerals) and I think my skin looks the best now. I have had good remarks about my skin since being on Retin-a. Good Luck with your efforts and report back what works for you!

Old 02-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #4

wheatthin HB User

Thanks for your replies Kymberlee and CreditQueen. I started applying the differin to my upper lip because I have a dark spot there, but as of last night have stopped applying any there. I have recently purchased a new foundation with spf in it. I also bought a new facial moisturizer that has spf in it too. I haven't tanned in almost 3 months. It's gonna be rough this spring and summer, but I will do my best to deal with my paleness. I will keep using the diferin and see what happens. It's been 6 weeks, so will need to give it a little more time I guess before going to something stronger. Thanks again for your help.
Wheatthin

Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Smile Re: differin vs retin a micro vs tazorac

Differin didnt work for me.Retin-a micro is keeping me clear, been on it for about a yr now.Take care.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #6

wheatthin HB User

Thanks for the reply, Suzy. I am much clearer now except for around my chin/jaw - got one bad place healing up. Seems like just as soon as one is about healed, another one pops up. However, I used to have alot of places on my forehead and around my hairline and that has cleared up nicely. Went off the differin for a week and am now back on it, but just going to try every other night for a while. Thanks again for your reply.
Wheatthin

Old 03-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Smile Re: differin vs retin a micro vs tazorac

Your very welcome wheatthin.I really hope the differin works for you.I know how acne can practically ruin your life.Make you into another person you dont want to be.Good luck.

Closed Thread