It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2003, 06:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Post Oily Skin? Flaky Skin?Spotty Skin - How Can I Treat All Three

Does anybody out there suffer with more than one facial skin problem?
I suffer from very oily skin with blackheads and the occasional very sore lump or bump but i also suffer with dry flaky skin underneath the oilyness,which makes it really hard to treat either problem because products used for treating acne tend to dry the skin out while products used to treat dryness and flakiness seem to make the skin more oily.
I have been told by my doctor that i suffer with sebhoroeic dermatitas aswell as mild acne and i currently take minocin mr for the acne but im scared to use the cream prescribed for the dermatitus as it contains hydrocortisone which i thought was a big no no if you suffer from acne.
Does anybody else have these two conditions and if so what skin care regime and skin care products/treatments do you use to tackle the two problems at once?

[This message has been edited by scouselad1974 (edited 03-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 08:07 AM   #2

Chris M HB User
scouselad I also suffered from the same dermatitis on my skin, trust me use the cream. I have used cortisone cream on my skin before and it really does seem to help, certainly doesn't make it any worse. You should treat the yeast infection first and then the acne should start to receede because it's a firm belief of mine that a yeast infection is linked directly to acne.

Alternatively if you don't want to use the cream visit a local pharmacist and get some anti fungal shampoo such as nizoral, this stuff you have to apply to your hair and skin, behind your ears, on your neck, in your eyebrows, everywhere on your face basically and then it should clear up beautifully like mine has.

I'd recommend you get rid of this yeast infection, but i'm pretty sure mine was caused in the first place by taking minocycline, so it seems to be a bit of a double negative.

Chris.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
(female)

Anastacia15 HB User
HI Scouselad. Some other members told me that you have been using OC8. As i have just bought it i was wondering if you could tell me what results you have seen, the side effects etc?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #4

Sweetie1 HB User
I've gone through the same problem and I have changed my cleansing habits. First, use cleansers that are hypo-allergenic, oil-free, noncomedogenic AND soap-free. I think that the key is the soap-free factor because soap can overdry skin. I use Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming CLeanser. It has salicylic acid to keep pores clean as well.

Old 06-06-2003, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Hi yeah i have been using it for special occassions only as i only have a small sample but i am going to purchase the full size real soon.
I can honestly say that this is the best oil reducing moisturizer i have ever used.
After applying it my face is totally matt and depending on what i am doing can stay that way for five hours or more and after that the oil isn't as bad as it use to be.
I have pretty oily skin so if your skin is just slightly oily i imagine it should remain oil free all day.
Its a good moisturizer too so it saves having to buy a seperate cream.
Good luck with it i am sure you will be pleased with the reuslts.

[This message has been edited by scouselad1974 (edited 06-06-2003).]

Old 06-06-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
(female)

Missy25 HB User
Talking

I was diagnosed with seborheic dermatitis as well along with acne. I used to get really flaky on my face too and the dermatologists prescribed me Plexion cleanser it has worked for me and it took the flakiness away and the redness. It also controls the acne. Give it a try it might work for you as well. If you feel u are still a little dry you can use Neautrogena oil-free moisterizer I use this one and it doensnt cause me to break out. Good Luck http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 06-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
(female)

Missy25 HB User
Also use nizoral shampoo like the above post mention I use this shampoo and it helps to keep things under control. If I dont shampoo my hair for awhile it will get oily and the redness starts and the small bumps on my head uff, well good luck hope this helps http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 06-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Thanks gang i have recently started using Nizoral shampoo and have just started using nizoral cream on my skin.

Closed Thread