It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
(female)

LisaB82 HB User
Thinking of Trying Accutane, tell me about it.

I am seriously considering trying out Accutane. I will be making my dr. appt soon, but I know several of you have tried it. Can you please tell me about it. What are the side effects of it?? Tell me all about it, the good, the bad, and the ugly!! Thanks.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User
Re: Thinking of Trying Accutane, tell me about it.

Its amazing. lol. Honestly though it really is, i had persistant acne for about 10 yrs now and this did the trick. My skin didnt really get good until my 4th month, so you do have to wait and not hope it will work right away, but it made me soo positive throughout the course knowing something was actually working for a change. Never did i have depression, i actually had that when i wasnt on accutane. My only symptom is dryness - nothing else at all. Its great stuff!

* Im on my 5th month of a 6-7 month course

Last edited by lexla; 02-28-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
(female)

lala887 HB User

I think Accutane is really awesome! It'll most likely cure your acne and keep it gone for forever! Which is soo exciting. You just take the medicine with food or like milk (some kind of fatty food) every night and you take the pills for about 5-6 months depending on your progress. You do have to go to your derm. once a month during your treatment for your blood to be taken to make sure that you're doing okay and nothing is abnormal. But yeah, the side effects do suck. The dryness is insane if you don't use lotion or other things to keep your body and face moisturized. I experience dryness all over... my nose is the dryest, and I do have mild body aches, but rarely. But knowing that your acne is going to be cured probably for forever...the dryness and other mild symptoms are well worth it! Good luck and I hope that if you do go on Accutane, that it works well for you.

Last edited by lala887; 02-28-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Accutane Dude HB User

It's the solution. Giv'r a go

Old 03-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Accutane was the only thing that worked for me and I feel like I tried it all. I've been clear for 1 1/2 years. My only side effect was dryness and my only regret was that I didn't take it sooner.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
(female)

indy_gal HB User

Lisa,

Just to ensure you get enough information to make an eduacated decision, please talk to people who are currently taking it as well as people who took it and have been off of it for a while. I think only one person out of the 4 that have answered you so far has actually finished accutane and been off of it for a while now. It's easy to say that accutane is great when you're part-way through the course and your skin is looking good. The side-effects seem trivial when you are actually seeing your skin improve, and nobody knows how long their results will last until you actually stop taking the drug.

You will see a lot of people on this board that took accutane, only to have their acne come back once they finished the course (me being one of them). That is important for you to know and might factor into your decision. Ask those kind of questions from people that give you their opinions.

There is also a lot of information if you search for it about the side effects and all that. Good luck in your decision and your search for clear skin!

Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #7
(female)

LisaB82 HB User

Thanks for all the info. It seems like it does work for the most part.

INDY GAL - I am wondering what happens if it doesnt work. What are you using now??

I will go over it all with my Dr. My mom seems to have doubts about me using this, but you know, she's not the one going through this!! I also feel like I have tried everything. So this is my last hope and we will see how it goes.

How bad is the dryness? Do you walk around with skin peeling off your face all day?? Does it look ok if you use moisturizer??

Thanks again everyone!!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

hey! lol no when you use moisturizer the dryness is fine, I use Eucerin ( the smaller bottle thats has a spf 30 and is pinkish....harder to find) and its great. I didnt even get dry until the end of my 4th month. Just as long as you use moisturizer you should be good!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

I had horribly dry skin when I was on it. I used cetaphil and never had a problem.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #10
(female)

YellerLynn HB User

LisaB82,

I just started Accutane today so I cant speak from my own experience, but my brother (hes 17) went off accutane 8 months ago and has skin clear as day. He hasnt had even 1 pimple since. He had moderate acne. Also, his dryness was mostly his lips. They were pretty bad at one point, but he used cocoa and shea butter and vaseline and they became tolerable. For his facial dryness he used cetaphil. The best thing would be to use all those products before it gets bad!

These boards are great in trying to decide what to do with acne. And a lot of people have used accutane at least once or more than that. They are all very helpful!! Have a great day!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
(female)

LisaB82 HB User

Ok cool, I already do use moisturizer on my face, so hopefully dryness won't be a major problem. Also, is it true how they say, it gets worse before it gets better?? I'm guessing it has to get all the pimples out that are sitting around waiting for their turn to grow on your face, so once they are all gone, it will start looking better?? How soon after you start using it do you look in the mirror and say "Wow, so thats how I look with clear skin!!"??

Old 03-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Hey Lisa,

Some people do get worse before they get better. I didn't have an initial breakout when I first started. I was waiting for it to happen and it never did. I'm not sure why some people do and some people don't, but you never know, you may be one of the lucky ones that don't get an initial breakout.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:11 PM   #13
(female)

lala887 HB User

Hey...well I read Indy's comment about most of us posting on this thread think that Accutane is great because we're still on the treatment and what happend after the treatment?
I am actually on my 2nd round of Accutane. My first round (started Nov. 2004), I had a very slow process and wasn't clear of acne til after my 6-month treatment was over. Before I started my treatment, I had acne on my face, chest, and on my back. After I ended my treatment, my acne was 100% clear in all three areas for about 4 months, and then i started getting acne on my face again. My back and chest have still been 100% clear and I'm in the beginning of my 5th month of my 2nd round of Accutane. Some people just have to take Accutane for more than one round, and I have one pimple on my face right now and have never had a big breakout or more than 4 pimples on my face during this 2nd round. Even though I did have to go through a 2nd round of the medicine, it is NOTHING compared to my first round. I don't even feel like I'm on Accutane...except for dryness, but that's not really a shock. To take care of my dryness, along with moisturizer and a humidifier, i take a Vitamin E pill with my Accutane every night. My derm. said that taking vitamin E with accutane is completely fine and it definitely helps with my lips being chapped and peeling. I hope I helped you out a little more!

Old 03-07-2006, 09:03 PM   #14
(female)

Erica in IL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaB82
How bad is the dryness? Do you walk around with skin peeling off your face all day?? Does it look ok if you use moisturizer??
In my case, as long as I can slather on the moisturizer after I take a shower then I'm good for most of the day. I've been on it for almost a month and all I need are two pumps of the Cetaphil bottle for my face and neck to get me through the whole day. The first 2 weeks my face was peel-y, so I also put moisturizer on after luchtime to help the dryness.

As for my lips and nose, they're really dry. For my lips, I put a layer of healing oils (a blend of emu oil, shea butter, jojoba, etc.) on first then top it with Aquaphor but they still feel like they're going to crack. Even when I put it on every hour or so. My sinuses are all dry and if I blow my nose I get mild nosebleeds. If anyone has a suggestion on how to help this, I'd be grateful!

As you probably have read, some people get worse before it gets better, others don't go through the "initial breakout". I personally broke out worse in a day or two of the first dose and I'm still trying to clear up from it. The derm said it may take as much as 2 months to start seeing my skin get clear.

Last edited by Erica in IL; 03-07-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #15
(female)

goya78 HB User

Dear lisab82
I'm am 27 yrs old and have gone through two courses of Accutane once when I was in highschool and once when I was in college...IT DID NOT WORK!!! It was the worst acne treatment I had to go through especially the fact that it has all the hype that its an amazing treatment. Number one the dryness, two the monthly blood checks for your liver, number three when the acne came back it was 10X's worse!!! Everything is dandy while your on it but wait around three months after the treatment. In addition to all that my mood was completly changed I felt depressed and it affected my mood after the treatment as well. Hearing how great this treatment was and then not seeing any results killed my will power and self esteem. This let down sent me on a downhill spiral to depression. My advice is to be prepared for it not to work and ask your dermatologist about backup treatments for your acne if the accutane does not work.

Closed Thread