It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

Jonesy HB User
Post Hormones

Been interesting to read peoples opinions on the role of hormones, which has made me question some of the information I was given at the hospital......... There is a leaflet written by the British Derm association, which states that acne is NOT due to over-production of hormones, instead it is the glands which are over-responding to a normal hormone level. This made me think, that if that were to be the case, wouldn't we all have acne for life unless we had some kind of hormone therapy?! Acne subsides naturally with age, however if it was caused by an over reactions by the glands to normal hormone levels, then surely the only way it could subside would be for the hormone levels to be changed? Hormones must play a part, I refuse to believe that it is a coincidence that this is a problem primiarily found in young people whos hormones are in overdrive. Therefore I am inclinced not to believe the leaflet given to everyone in the UK, to say it is nothing to do with hormones is rubbish as far as I'm concerned, because it isn't logical. If the British derm assocation say that most people with acne have normal hormone levels, how do they explain the fact that is subsides in most people around the age of 20 ie. when we have finished growing? I dont believe it at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 09:27 AM   #2

Janet in Texas HB User
Hi Jonesy,

I had moderately severe acne and mine was due to hormones. I had acne on my face, neck, chest, and back. I cannot remember if it was my pitutitary gland or my adrenal gland that was malfunctioning, but whichever gland it was it was producing too much testonerone and a few other things that go along with it. The condition is called Hirsutism. I was on Deltasone for about a year/year and a half and it took care of 100% of my acne problems.

5'5" F

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
I know it was the testosterone for me and I also believe that I was also overly sensitive to the testosterone cause when I stated taking the Spironolactone what was left of my Urticaria seemed to completely disappear.I killed 2 birds with one stone.

[This message has been edited by dsheldon3 (edited 06-04-2003).]

Old 06-04-2003, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Right, I believe it's both.

I've gone to 3 endocrinologists in my time and only the last one have seen beyond ONE visit! =) Anyway, what the 2nd endocrinologist said is that I have higher than normal Free Testosterone Levels (in the blood stream) and my body is responding to this. However, he also said that there are people that have levels HIGHER than mine and will not react to it.

Therefore, you can have normal levels and your body COULD react to it. You can have high levels and your body will react to it. =/

Old 06-06-2003, 09:00 PM   #5

U4IA HB User
From what I've read acne can be due either to an over production of androgen, as in the case of Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (due to an enzyme deficiency resulting in overproduction of androgen by the adrenal glands) or PCOS, or an increased sensitivity of the skin to a normal level of androgen.

Acne does not always resolve with age. I am over 40 and still have acne. It is not as severe as it was in my teenage years but it is still acne.

I personally believe that in some people acne is due to a missing/defective yet unknown skin enzyme. This skin enzyme is eiter lipolytic and breaks down the sebum produced by the oil glad before it oxidizes, or suppresses the production of sebum by the oil gland in normal (non-acne) people. A doctor in PA is working on finding this enzyme so maybe someday we will know the real answer to your question.

Closed Thread