It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2003, 06:43 PM   #1

Bama37 HB User
Smile Last day on Accutane!

Hi guys...I have not posted much lately but I do check in and read the posts everyday. Today is the LAST day of my 5 month course of accutane. Can you see me (and my pretty face) jumping up and down?
All and all, it was a great five months. I was able to wear my contacts and did not go bald. (those were my major worries prior to going on 'tane) My main side effect was of course, the dry lips. I had some rashes on the tops of my hands the second month but other than that, nothing major. No vision problems, headaches, joint pain, hearing loss ect...
I am 5'10, 140 pounds and started off with 60mg's daily and then went to 80mg's at the end of month two. The first month my skin looked amazing...month two was a minor initial outbreak, month 3 started out really bad, which I attribute to the dose increase. I have not had any zits/cysts/bumps since the end of the 3rd month. I am 37 and have dealt with mild to moderate and very persistent acne (atleast 1 to 2 cysts monthly) since I went off the pill at 28 years old)...I can't tell you all how great it feels to wake up and see nothing but clear skin when I look in the mirror. A HUGE THANKS to this board and the members. I have gained so much knowledge and support from the regulars here.
I will continue to come here regularly and check in.
Bama

Old 06-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #2

chemicaldreamer HB User
Congrats!

I'm not sure how you are, but after ever Accutane treatments i've had (2 now), i was so complacent i didn't bother to daily wash my face... the first time, i was cleared for a couple of years, then they came back. Second time, i was again complacent, and a year later, they came back. I'm not going on a 3rd treatment, only because last time, i developed rosacea (and apparently it's permanent). But i regularly take care of my face now, so i've been cleaned for about 6 months.

So my advice, continue to take care of your face.

May i ask, why it took so long before you to took Accutane?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 07:07 PM   #3

aliasfan1981 HB User
Congratulations. Your post truly shows that acne is a disease like any other and should be approached as such. If a person were to read your post (and many others on this board) without knowing that it is about acne you would no doubt receive a different reaction and I think that is sad. Suffering is suffering and a disease is a disease. Sometimes I think I forget this so I know that people who don't have acne have trouble understanding. I'm so glad that this message board exists. Anyway, congrats again and all the best in the future.

Old 06-07-2003, 06:13 AM   #4

Bama37 HB User
chemicaldreamer-
The first two derms I went too put me on all the typical stuff...Tetracycline,minocycline,retin-a,differin..the whole shabang....all the above (except the differin) worked for a short time but the acne always came back. We moved to alabama a year ago and I went to a new derm in December. She listened to my history...checked out my face and said "I think it's time for accutane". She was great througout the entire course. I have a follow up with her in one month. She wants to see how it's going and that's when she will tell me what "maintenence routine" she wants me to follow. So in short, I guess I waited so long 'cuz I believed "it would go away with age" (SO not true for me) and that what the previous derm's were prescribing would finally work.
Take care.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran

Testament HB User
Congratulations, way to go.

Closed Thread