It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #1
(male)

AllGood HB User
Post BHA AHA which what to get

I Have been reading the posting on the board I realize that I may need both of these, but for the life I of me. I don't know what brands to get or where to get them. Anyone have any recommendations?

Old 06-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #2

Frogjive HB User
I would say BHA. It has gotten rid of like 99% of my blackheads and is clearing me up wonderfully. Paula's Choice is what I use. SHe has a website so just look her up. From what I gather from reading BHA is used mostly for acne and AHA for sunburn and flakey skin. But from my experience BHA is some really good stuff.
hope this helps
fj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #3

mudpixie HB User
BHA is salicylic acid. This will unclog your pores and allow dead skin to flake off. You can find salicylic acid products at ANY major drugstores or grocery stores- cleansers, spot treatments, toners, you name it.

AHAs do the same as BHA but BHA does it faster. AHAs help w/ ph balance too. Also I don't think AHA's help with acne but I could be wrong.

Depending on how sensitive your skin is I would NOT recommend using BHAs and AHAs together- this will cause SOOO much irritation. Unless you have skin of steel or something you might want to use an AHA/BHA product with something gentler.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Never use an AHA and a BHA at the same time, although you could use one at night and the other during the day. If you want to get deep into the pore and work on removing blackheads and keeping them from forming, definitely go with the BHA. Paula's Choice l% lotion is gentle and very effective.

Old 06-03-2003, 03:35 PM   #5
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by mudpixie:
AHAs do the same as BHA but BHA does it faster. AHAs help w/ ph balance too. Also I don't think AHA's help with acne but I could be wrong.
I respectfuly disagree.

BHAs (aka alicylic acid, like you said) can penetrate oil and can go into pores to clean them out. They are good for the prevention of acne.

AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids), chemically exfoliate the surface skin cells only. AHAs are good for getting rid of red marks leftover from breakouts.

So you see, both are good for acne-prone skin, but for different reasons.

I also agree that they should not be used at the same time. Alternate them one in the morning and one at night, or every other day.

Paula's Choice makes the best BHAs, and Alpha Hydrox makes the best AHAs, in my opinion. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif

Old 06-04-2003, 10:50 PM   #6
(male)

AllGood HB User
Ok I have seen the AHA Brand. But where would I get the paulas choice?

Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM   #7
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Talking

Paula's Choice is available only on the internet. Try doing a search on a search engine - it can be found very easily.

Old 06-05-2003, 05:02 AM   #8

yoopergirl HB User
Is it true that BHA is really tough on your skin? I am a hard time with just putting the BP on my skin!

Old 06-05-2003, 06:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Tough on your skin? It's really good for it! At first, you might experience some burning, but this is only temporary and disappears as your skin quickly becomes accustomed to it.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:54 AM   #10

rhyuths HB User
some of you mentioned that BHA cant go with AHA..then can i apply AHA atfer using a toner with salylic acid?

Old 06-06-2003, 11:36 PM   #11
(male)

AllGood HB User
one last question about the AHA products. Am I lkking for the anti wrinkle cream? because that's all I am seeing. Feels weird to walk up to the cashier wrinkle cream. yeah she's hot

Old 06-07-2003, 12:26 AM   #12

chemicaldreamer HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by poreoilyme:
Never use an AHA and a BHA at the same time, although you could use one at night and the other during the day. If you want to get deep into the pore and work on removing blackheads and keeping them from forming, definitely go with the BHA. Paula's Choice l% lotion is gentle and very effective.
I've never heard that... infact, Neutrogena Multi-Vitamin Acne Treatment... Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser... and Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner, all contain AHA and BHA... infact, most AHA products i've noticed also contain BHA.

[This message has been edited by chemicaldreamer (edited 06-07-2003).]

Old 06-07-2003, 02:04 AM   #13
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by AllGood:
one last question about the AHA products. Am I lkking for the anti wrinkle cream? because that's all I am seeing. Feels weird to walk up to the cashier wrinkle cream.
Yeah, the Alpha Hydrox enhanced creme, and many other AHA products are aimed towards wrinkle reduction, since AHA exfoliates the surface skin and can get rid of minor wrinkles faster.

chemicaldreamer, I think it is different if a product is formulated to incorporate the BHA and AHA together. The products that we're talking about are formulated so that the BHA and AHA work seperately, and are therefore usually more effective.

In my experience, Neutrogena products always let me down. They ususally are not in the correct pH range to be effective, and usually contain irritating ingredients such as fragrance, coloring, and alcohol. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif

Old 06-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #14

chemicaldreamer HB User
I suppose you could be right.

And what are you comparing the Neutrogena products to?

[This message has been edited by chemicaldreamer (edited 06-07-2003).]

Old 06-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

I'm comparing Neutrogena products to Paula's Choice and Alpha Hydrox products, which are comparable in price but are far more effective.

Closed Thread