It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2003, 03:52 PM   #1

Redmark1 HB User
Post Need ideas for a low carb diet

I'm thinking of starting a diet to see if it will help improve my acne, i know that you shouldnt eat chocolate, sweets, diary products but,

I really need some ideas of what i could eat hehe sounds stupid, but if someones done a healthy diet for acne and had some sucess could you tell me what you ate?

Thanks !

Old 06-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #2

Porcelain HB User
Dairy products are fine, just don't consume pasteurized dairy. Carbs are ok, just don't eat anything refined. If you want, you can cut out grains but you'll have to replace the lost fiber.

Happy meals
Porcelain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 04:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
what are refined carbs.... thanks :-)

Old 06-06-2003, 04:46 PM   #4

lilly_of_the_valley HB User
I have been Low Carbing for 2 years now. Depending what low carb diet you do, depends on what you can eat(some aren't so strict). I am doing Atkins and I eat all meat, most vegetables, most fruits and some dairy. For your meats, all unprocessed kind are fine (be careful with processed meats like bolonga, hotdogs etc.. might have sugar). Also, corn and carrots are high on the glycemic level, so they should be avoided. Berries are the best fruits to eat, but an occasional apple or orange is fine. Also, if you're eating dairy, eat cheese, cottage cheese etc.. Milk has a lot of carbs. But if you do drink it, make sure you go for the whole fat, whereas skim and the lower fat milks add extra sugar to lower the fat content. I hope this helps and good luck!

Btw, I have PCOS, it's basically an insulin disorder and one of the sypmtons is acne but since I've been doing the Low Carb Diet it has helped extremely well.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:07 PM   #5

Redmark1 HB User
thanks for your replays! is stuff like crips are ok to eat? what about rice? what do u guys and gals eat with like your main dinner just salads? rice? you dont just eat meat on its own do you?

also im primarly doing this diet for my acne nothing else. I just want to eat healthy thats all see if my acne clears a bit.

[This message has been edited by Redmark1 (edited 06-06-2003).]

Old 06-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
no rice! loaded with carbs. for dinner you can eat a good portion of meat and salad, or steamed veggies or stir fry as long as there is no sugar in it. low carb has helped my skin in the past. snack on nuts, they will keep you full. and make sure to get through the first couple of days cause it only gets easier after then. good luck!

Old 06-06-2003, 07:28 PM   #7

Redmark1 HB User
hey linny i really like sandwichs are they ok to eat? does it have to be brown bread? or is that still as bad as white. What about cheese too i like that in ham sandwichs . I really would appreciate some if ya can list some meals u would have to give me some idea of what to buy what do u have for breakfest? i usually have toast + tea + biscuits :P Any food ideas would be great ! thanks.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #8

Porcelain HB User
Refined carbs = white rice, white/brown sugar (should be raw), white flour.

I recommend replacing the oil that you consume to unrefined types like extra virgin olive, extra virgin macedamia, extra virgin coconut, and butter.

As for recipes you could go to one of the many low carb sites on the internet and/or get a low carb book.

Happy eats,
Porcelain

Old 06-06-2003, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
well okay it depends what you want to do. cut out carbs almost completely? then all bread is pretty much off limits. but you defintely want to stay away from anything with flour or wheat. if you have to eat bread, no regular processed breads you get at the supermarket. maybe look for the special low carb breads they have.

id recommend a cheese or veggie omelette for breakfast, some tea, bacon or sausage if you like that stuff. biscuits and toast wont work with the diet. i like to eat salad with chicken and oil and vinegar dressing. Snack on turkey jerky. Eat some salmon for dinner or other meat.

I have found it hard to stay on for more than a few weeks and I also tend to get disgusted with too much meat and wonder if the dairy contributes to acne, though I personally havent noticed it.

[Please never post commercial websites for any reaon. Thank you.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 06-08-2003).]

Old 06-07-2003, 05:07 AM   #10

Hopetimistic HB User
Hi Folks,

I would suggest going moderate with the atkins and other diets. Crash dieting has the disadvantage that most people can't keep the habit going for a long period of time.

Try to change your dietary habits long term, and give yourself good enough time to reach your optimum weight.

Don't try to lose more than 1 kilo per week max. I would suggest losing 1-2 kilos per month and keeping it going for a long time so the healthy dietary habits become a part of you for the rest of your life, not just for a few weeks or months.

Otherwise, you will just bounce back to your present weight after some time, and find you have to start all over again, like a yoyo. What a waste and how frustrating that would be.

I use a mild form of the atkins weight loss program where i just minimise sugars (I use honey instead when I can, even in tea, and being sweeter than sugar, you need half the amount!), and reduced other carbohydrates at the same time. I increased fruit and fibre intake, whilst keeping protein intake to about the same, a bit less perhaps. Portion size also is only a little less than before, but I try to avoid snacking as much as possible.

I have lost about 30 pounds/14 kilos over 6 months and am still losing weight gradually. I aim to lose another 5 kilos or so, after which I will be within my optimim range for my height.

I do occasionally eat the sweet things, and let's face it, we are all human beings who succumb at times ;-). So, it is best to be practical and realistic about it, and go with it patiently. Don't be too hard on yourselves, my friends.

All the Best.

I am no expert on these matters. Please consult the (supposed) experts, and seek the advice of other people as well.

Old 06-07-2003, 04:28 PM   #11

Redmark1 HB User
I'm not really trying to lose weight, i guess thats whats thought when you mention a low carb diet?, basically i want to eat healthy maybe i shoulda put the topic as "healthy diet to improve acne" or something I dont really have a lot of knowledge on the whole dieting thing to clear your acne.

I really love sandwiches though. Does eating bread really bad thing to eat if your trying to clear your acne by a means of diet?

[This message has been edited by Redmark1 (edited 06-07-2003).]

Old 06-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #12

wjp HB User
Bread is high in carbs, as you've already been told. If you want to know what foods you can/can't eat on a low carb diet you should do an internet search on the subject to find out.

Old 06-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #13

Redmark1 HB User
ok, thanks for your replies

Old 06-08-2003, 07:56 PM   #14

wantsittoend HB User
do a search on this board for "gi content" or "acne diet", theres plenty of stuff on it. Ive been doing a low gi diet for about a month. in the past week or so ive kind of come off it because it's just too hard. good luck though. also a tip, i eat pumpernickel bread which is low in gi so i can still have toast, sandwiches, etc.

Closed Thread