It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
(male)

kdogg HB User
The clear life after accutane

Hey all atlast.........I have finished my accutane course! I will keep you posted as life goes on and changes occur..
any comments or tips greatly appreciated as im a bit worried that coming off the accutane , the acne might return. hope all is well.

current routine is:
night and day
cetaphil wash(might switch to neutrogena S.A. wash not sure)
olay complete face lotion
and aveeno body lotion

Last edited by kdogg; 03-28-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:01 AM   #2
(male)

DaOutlaw HB User
Re: The clear life after accutane

I would advise you to adhere to your current routine. Why change it if it's been working for you this whole time? Avoid using products that are acid based, contain benzoyl peroxide, or anything that claims to clear acne, as your skin will still have a high sensitivity to the these products. Any product that advertises to clear acne is no good, because it usually contains a harsh chemical which basically just dries up your face. So steer clear of any acne fighting products and skin lightening lotions, unless prescribed by your derm of course. And do expect your skin's natural oil to return, but by no means, will it return to full strength as it probably was pre-accutane. Your red marks should fade in time too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
(male)

kdogg HB User

Great!!! thankyou and you are right agree why switch products if its kept me clear the whole time too...i guess i just felt that cetaphil would not be strong enough once my natural oil came back. Thank you for the tips and i shall avoid acne fighting products. Also i should avoid exfoliating for a while as well right? (was gonna use baking soda)

thanx again!!

Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Congrats! im so happy for you. i agree to stick to your current routine, otherwise your skin may get confused lol. I hope all goes well and keep me updated on how it goes!

Old 03-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
(male)

kdogg HB User

Soo far sooo good...however i did start to get a few bumps around my temples and kinda on my cheeks. My sis thought it might be from my cell phone lol but They are weird becuz they arent whitehead pimples but yet they sometimes get a white little dot on them and they are tiny like a pinhead lol. Maybe exfoliating might help i dunno i was gonna try baking soda..Skin is still great overall and the oilyness has yet to return haha. Anyone know about how to get rid of these bumps though?? greatly appreciate everyone on these boards and hope all is doing well.......check bak in a few

-5 days off and still clear-

Last edited by kdogg; 03-29-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #6
(male)

lolitazz HB User

I'm glad to here you're doing ok.
keep in touch with your derm regarding any new breakouts, just in case.

Best wishes

Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
(male)

kdogg HB User

11 days off-

Skin is slighty returning back to somewhat normal lol but its all good becuz i am tired of the flush look. Overall i am still pretty clear!!! i have those damn bumps still and i dunno what to do. if i can get rid of these ill be sooo happy. I have switched to neutrogena sal. acid wash hoping to help get rid of the bumps.

Current routine:
Day and Night
wash acne free S.A. wash
moisturize face w/ olay complete face lotion(w/aloe and vitamin e)
body moisturize w/ aveeno daily lotion

check back in a few days........best of luck to all!!

Old 04-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User

Hey kdogg,

Glad to hear you're doing well. Coming off of accutane is pretty nervewracking, huh? Keep us updated with your progress.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

Glad its going well for you! hope it continues

Old 04-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
(male)

kdogg HB User

yes coming off the tane is EXTREMELY nerve racking lol...so i woke up this morning and there was 1 little one but i think i need to jus relax. i sware i sometimes have nightmares of this stuff coming back, really im not joking lol.
anyways ill be back in a few......

still have a few bumps, anyone know anything about these??

Old 04-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
(male)

kdogg HB User

p.s.

hows everything doing with you lexla?????

Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #12
(male)

kdogg HB User

thankyou redly girl....but im still a bit confused. i dont have any flare ups as of yet , i mostly just changed the wash becuz i felt it would help get rid of these bump things. I think these bumps are from a lack of exfoliating or something hence thats why i was i switched to a sal acid wash to help clear pores. And should i talk to my doctor about staying on 5-10 mg a day?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:14 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

lexla HB User

hey kdogg! i do agree with her honestly, try not to change up your routine, your skin is a lot more sensitive ( i went outside here for 15 mins and got burnt...lol whoops) and its been adjusted to what you routine was. Anyone who changes their routine a lot will get their skin confused and probably cause breakouts, so just stick to whats been working, those little bumps will go away Im curious too about the 5-10 mg of accutane as a maintence course, although i dont think my derm would do that. Its going well for me, the red marks have mostly faded so the rest look like freckles which is fine with me! And no active pimples, maybe one or 2 in the past month. I hope it stays like this always, of course with more improvement, bc who wouldnt want that The dryness is still there but muuuuuch better and thats about it! Still using cetaphil and eucerin and its working great...sorry i havent updated lately, lots of midterms!! Hope it contiues to go well for you, i really do. Keep us updated

Last edited by lexla; 04-06-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
(female)

redlygirl HB User

You will probably never need a low maintenance dose of accutane. This is done in rare cases, Which is nice to know.
Your bumps are probably just closed comedones (whiteheads) before they turn into blackheads.(open comedones)
Have you asked your Dr about having a microdermabrasion or chemical peel? they are excellent for the bumps. You will have to wait a couple of months though as you are too sensitive.
I am sure your Dr will keep you on great preventative face washes & topicals.
If you spend prolonged time in the sun, your red bumps / purple spots will scar as lexla said.
Use a good sunscreen. I like neutragena
enjoy your beautiful new skin

Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #15
(male)

kdogg HB User

thank you very very much for the help and the replies.....i guess im just confused on what i should do for a post accutane regimen. I might start a thread about it jus for some ideas. hey lex im glad everythings goin well....keep me updated on when you finish your course. Its a freaky thing lol becuz i dont want any of it to return and you cant help but wonder if it will ya know...anyways good luck

Closed Thread