It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
(male)

acneman HB User
Post Acne-prone bodybuilders

Whats up?

I started this thread for all bodybuilders that suffer from acne. In my situation, I suffer from moderate acne. I have found my acne to be related to foods.

As of now, I am currently trying to bulk up but I have noticed that I'm breaking out more frequently than before. I have noticed that this breakout may be related to an increase in grain consumption (oats, I eat 6 cups a day!). I will stop eating grains from today and will make up those missing carbs with sweet potatoes. My diet consists basically of eggs, olive oil, sweet potatoes, chicken, lime beans, whey protein. I will keep you guys posted if my acne improves after I drop my grain consumption (I will be eating NO GRAINS AT ALL). If my acne stays the same or even worsens my acne may be related to lectin consumption (because of the sweet potatoes). If that is the case then my acne is related to both grains and lectins, making bulking impossible for me. I dont eat any sugar (not even post workout) and I've noticed that my acne has improved since my low sugar intake. Dairy products have also been a problem to me (especially milk). So if you consume a lot of dairy products and have acne you might want to stop them for some time and see if it improves your acne. I've heard about people developing acne after taking Creatine but I dont know. I've never taken Creatine myself so I cant tell you. Please post your thoughts, bodybuilders of the world UNITE!!!

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 06-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2003, 11:33 AM   #2

papa new guinea HB User
What up bro. I am very active and also lift weights quite a bit. My diet just consists of protein and that shake Met-RX when I work out, otherwise I just eat what I normally would. I haven't really noticed a difference in being active or not. My skin actually sort of seems better after a good work out.I just make sure I take a shower once a day when I work out and use soap. I also wipe off my forehead and stuff when it gets to sweaty.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #3
(male)

acneman HB User
How do you classify your acne? Mild, moderate, severe?

Old 06-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
(male)

acneman HB User
For the purposes of simplicity I will stop eating lectins (sweet potatoes) and grains altogether and see if my acne improves. I will let you guys know in a week. I know I'm gonna lose weight because I wont be eating a lot of carbs (this is gonna suck) but I think I would rather sacrifice bodyweight for this stupid acne.

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 06-07-2003).]

Old 06-07-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
May not be the foods. Working out may cause ACNE.

Lifting heavy weights can cause in increase in testosterone.

Too much testosterone can lead to an increase in oil activity, thus, an increase in sebum oil in your sebum glands - causing acne.

Lifting to bulk up with heavy weights may be the reason for the acne.

------------------------

I now lift moderate weights (3-4 times a week). Just enough to break a sweat and slight sorness the next day. Nothing heavy.

This moderate lifting has caused me to drop a few pounds (used to lift heavy) thus - I am more lean, quicker, and simply more cut up.

My skin is pretty clear - but I cannot conclude that this change in my workout was the reason.

I stopped the MULTI VITAMINS (whole new topic on why they cause acne, and no, its not just the iodine.) and I also stopped the horrible RETIN-A.

I now use simple Benzoyl Peroxide, Salycilic Acid, and Glycolic Acid.

Old 06-07-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
(male)

acneman HB User
How bad was your acne when you used to lift heavy?

Old 06-07-2003, 05:02 PM   #7
(male)

acneman HB User
Whats wrong with multi-vitamins? Any link you can send me to read on why they are bad? I take 1 capsule of Centrum a day.

Old 06-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Acneman,
I so admire you right now because even though you aren't happy about these changes, you are still willing to at least TRY and see if it will work. =)

I'm not a body builder, so I'm not exactly sure why eggs, chicken and protein supplements are your only choices for bulking. Are you eating any other forms of protein such as, beef, pork, seafood, or beans?

I ask, because your diet looks similar to trainboxers and I'm wondering if those foods are what you use when you train, but you still eat other foods as well. For while I've nearly cut out a food group, I certainly, and many others that have altered their diets, are eating much more food than that ;-)

Just wondering, appreciate any knowledge you can throw my way on this subject.

Take care

Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
(male)

acneman HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by SweetJade1:
Acneman,
I so admire you right now because even though you aren't happy about these changes, you are still willing to at least TRY and see if it will work. =)

I'm not a body builder, so I'm not exactly sure why eggs, chicken and protein supplements are your only choices for bulking. Are you eating any other forms of protein such as, beef, pork, seafood, or beans?

I ask, because your diet looks similar to trainboxers and I'm wondering if those foods are what you use when you train, but you still eat other foods as well. For while I've nearly cut out a food group, I certainly, and many others that have altered their diets, are eating much more food than that ;-)

Just wondering, appreciate any knowledge you can throw my way on this subject.

Take care
Hey SweetJade1

In terms of quality proteins, whey and eggs are the best choices. I've reduced my whey intake to 2 servings a day (right after workout). Whey protein is pretty much necessary right after workout because it is the fastest absorbion protein. It is absorbed in 45 mins. Right after workout you need to feed your muscles with high quality protein as soon as possible. I used to take 5-6 servingsa day (one reason I may have been breaking out bad). The reason why I choose eggs, whey, chicken as my main sources of protein is because of simplicity and nothing else...well...also because animal protein has a much better effect on reaching muscle cells than other proteins (veggies). I dont like seafood and beef has too much fat in it (even the lean). I have to avoid high fatty foods while bulking. I do eat sweet potatoes, black eye peas to compliment my animal protein though, and I do count those proteins as part of my daily protein intake (some bbuilders dont). As I've told you before I have completely drop grains from my diet. I have to give it a couple of weeks to see if my acne improves (I'm very confident it will), if not, whey protein is next on my hit list. I have a couple of questions for you:

1) Is extra virgin olive oil good for cooking? I used to use Pam but noticed that it's made from grains.
2) Are black eye peas "evil lectins"? Where can I find a list of "evil lectins"?
3) Are soy beans "evil lectins", I've noticed that my breakout might have been triggered by consumption of soy milk as well. I'm gonna stopy drinking soy milk too.

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 06-09-2003).]

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 06-09-2003).]

Old 06-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #10
(male)

acneman HB User
Hey SweetJade1980, just to summarize what I've been doing this past couple of days:

1) Completely eliminated all grains, BTW do you eat grains anymore? I remember that you said you still eat some grains. What about brown rice (gluten free)? If my acne goes away brown rice is one of the first things I will introduce in my diet (caloric dense, complex carbs).

2) Completely eliminated dairy foods, including my whey protein servings. I've read that whey protein is highy processed and artifically flavored (both things are really bad for acne).

3) Completely eliminated all nightshades (beans).

4) Stopped drinking soy milk.

5) Started cooking with extra virgin olive oil.

6) I'm still working out as usual.

7) Stopped taking my CENTRUM multi-vitamins since I've read the B vitamins, zinc and iron combination, and iodine aggravate acne.

Now, this you will find INTERESTING. I've seen a VERY VERY significant decrease in oil in my face (I have oily skin). I mean, my skin is feeling dry right now. No oiliness at all.

PS Did you ever find that "evil lectin" list? Is there such a thing as "gluten free bread"? Where can I buy some, man I would kill for some pizza right now...haha.

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 06-10-2003).]

[This message has been edited by acneman (edited 06-10-2003).]

Old 06-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #11

vik357 HB User
hey guys,
I'm also currently on the gain phase of my program. basically just eat protien,carbs and fat (omega-3s).

My carbs consists of yogurt; oatmeal (3 times a day);
white rice; baked potato; beans; wheat bread.

protien: chicken; turkey; cottage cheese; whey + caesin protien powder.

fat: udo's oil; flax seed oil; virgin olive oil.

I also drink a post workout drink with sugar for the insulin spike.

I've been breaking out a lot lately. I suspect it's the yogurt, oatmeal and the post workout drink.

Do you guys think anything else would be responsible to my recent increase in breakouts?

Thanks

Old 06-11-2003, 10:55 AM   #12

vik357 HB User
one more thing, there's a good source of exercise and nutrition information. Its called tertosterone.com or t-mag.com

its a cool site. I stumbled upon it last year and have been going to it evr since.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 AM   #13
(male)

acneman HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by vik357:
hey guys,
I'm also currently on the gain phase of my program. basically just eat protien,carbs and fat (omega-3s).

My carbs consists of yogurt; oatmeal (3 times a day);
white rice; baked potato; beans; wheat bread.

protien: chicken; turkey; cottage cheese; whey + caesin protien powder.

fat: udo's oil; flax seed oil; virgin olive oil.

I also drink a post workout drink with sugar for the insulin spike.

I've been breaking out a lot lately. I suspect it's the yogurt, oatmeal and the post workout drink.

Do you guys think anything else would be responsible to my recent increase in breakouts?

Thanks
Dude I've been having this problem...thats why I creatd this thread. Basically I noticed my skin breaking out because of increase in oatmeal and whey protein comsumption. I used to have 4-5 servings of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein and about 6 cups of oatmeal a day (I love oatmeal, sometimes I would eat it raw). Well, I've stopped eating both things and my skin is clearing up (as of now). I really think the whey had something to do with it because dairy products break me out (I didnt think whey was dairy but apparently is the byproduct of turning milk into cheese, so its dairy!!!). Besides the whey protein has artificial coloring, artificial flavors, and is highly processed (those things are bad for acne).

Currently I'm only eating eggs, chicken, sweet potatoes, apples, 100% apple juice (not from concentrate), olive oil (for fat and cooking). I've noticed a HUGE reduction in oil in my face. My face feels dry sometimes.

I think my problem is dairy products and grains (because of the gluten). But I have not confirmed this yet, I should know by next week and will post on this thread about the results.

Try to avoid whey and see if that helps. Maybe dairys? Maybe grains (bread)? Good luck.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #14

buddyguy HB User
Hey acneman, how old are you?

Old 06-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #15
(male)

acneman HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by buddyguy:
Hey acneman, how old are you?

Closed Thread