It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Post i bought "The Acne Cure"

"The Acne Cure" is a book; my sister told me about it. At $22 I figured I didn't have much to lose, especially if it worked. I've read all but the last chapter or so, and it seems sound. He backs everything up, and it doesn't have the sort of hype that infomercials and over-advertised products do, and the author does state outright that his method won't work for everyone, but it will work for most. In 6 weeks. So i'm going to give it a go.

I really think a good portion of my cystic acne is from picking and obsessing at my pores, and this method might at least give my skin a chance to get better. The basic premise of the method is that too many products only work at one aspect of acne, and this routine cleanses excess dirt and dead cells away, cleans the pore, and kills bacteria in the pore. I thought i knew quite a bit about acne, and in some cases i do, but nonetheless, this book was an informative read, and it seemed to explain quite a bit of the acne phenomenon. There were some things i didn't agree with, but differences in opinion will always exist. i'm actually pretty excited about getting started. Even if the routine only clears the cystic stuff, or only clears the closed comedones, i'll be happy.

i decided to try out the book's method b/c i eat extremely well, exercise very frequently, and just am not willing to give up some indulgences that i have. i can't afford a dermatologist so i'm really hoping that 6 weeks of this program will at the very least help my skin somewhat. i'll be posting updates to this thread as i go along.

Now, i'm off to find an 8-10% glycolic acid product. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 06-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by sedulous (edited 06-03-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2003, 04:22 AM   #2

desperate for a remedy! HB User

Best of Luck with the treatment Sedulous! I hope you get results. Make sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Old 06-03-2003, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Smile

Update:
this program consists of using salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and BP. i haven't even gotten as far as the glycolic acid yet, b/c the store i wanted to go to for it was closed when i got there, but i've done the rest of the method for 2 days now, and i really think it's working!
The two cysts on my chin are much calmer, the 5 million little zits on my forehead seem flatter and fewer, and my cheeks are nice and smooth. i even checked out my face in a couple really bad flourescently lit mirrors, and while i'm most definitely not anywhere near cured in 2 days, there's perceptible improvement. i can't wait to get the glycolic acid and see if that helps things along.

If that works as well, i'll post the whole regimen for anyone that wants to give it a try, or consider buying the book.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:01 PM   #4

Oinkoink HB User
Talking

Hey! How funny, I just checked out the book "the acne cure" at the library about a half an hour ago, and I came home and searched the internet for any reviews from people, and I found your message! Maybe we could try it together. I agree, there is no hype and it sounds very legit- I especially like the ice-cube method.

My only concern is skin dryness. I tried proactive, which was benzoyl peroxide cleanser, glycolic acid toner, and benzoyl peroxide leave-on cream, and it dried my face out so bad I didn't want to leave the house. But I am thinking because the benzoyl peroxide sits for a few minutes and is then wiped off, and perhaps I could rinse it off to avoid a sensitive-skin reaction, it wouldn't be much of a problem. I am really excited, I hope it works. Right now I am on Leo Kilsen's e-book "acne miracle" which includes mostly nutritional supplements, I take flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, probiotics, lecithin, selenium, zinc, and a few others.. I also use a non-soap cleanser and apply water to my face after I cleanse that has had a coral calcium tea bag in it, which my sister used and it cleared her up. After I started applying the coral calcium in conjunction to my supplements, my acne has been reduced a lot, but no where near cured. I don't break out in the big red, above skin sort only occasionally, I just get a few tiny whiteheads every now and then, and it's weird because all of my acne is even with the surface of my skin, it isn't raised as bumps.. I thought for a while maybe it was rosacea but I checked into it and it isn't... perhaps it is "pre-emerged" acne?
Anyways! Wow I typed alot. I think I'm going to go get these products in the next couple of days and then start. Sounds interesting, but also kind of harsh. I read one review online of a lady saying it made her skin incredibly dry and red... but that's the only one I found.
Good luck with your experiment, I will try it with you I think, perhaps.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Hey Oink!
i bought Leo's e-book several years ago, and i do really like that he advocates a healthy lifestyle, etc. However, it costs a few hundred dollars to get all the supplements he advocates taking, and i'm a firm believer that the best source of anything is the food. i think there's no harm in taking EFA's and all, but i'd be wary of taking everything he recommends. i do think it's better to simply eat whole foods, exercise, and supplement only what's necessary. i actually broke out badly for a couple weeks trying to follow his program...my body went into revolt or something at being introduced to all those new things; it was too much, and too expensive.

Anyway, the Acne Cure book, as far as redness and things go- i have yet to get my glycolic acid product b/c i don't like the things in the drugstores. i'm going to hold out and order a Reviva Labs product, b/c they're pretty natural, and inexpensive too. As for the BP, i'm using Neutrogena On the Spot which is a 2.5% BP cream and is far less irritating i've found than other BP creams. i think if you're careful, and alternate glycolic acid days if need be, the redness and all shouldn't be a problem. i think a lot of people discover a method and follow it too close to the letter, and don't listen to their skin when it's shouting for them to back off a bit. i've been guilty of the same thing.

I will say that i'm on the third day of using the Acne Cure method without the glycolic acid, and while not too much is clearing up, *nothing new* is forming, which is great.

Feel free to post your updates here!

Old 06-04-2003, 08:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

micheguns HB User
i ordered leo's book too.....
i haven't read all of it, but i agree that spending hundreds of dollars on vitamins, oils, etc. is a bit absurd. I too, would rather get my nutrients from food. I have a healthy diet (but a lot of bread because i used to be an athlete and still need fuel) so who know about that! Anyway, keep me posted on this BP, salicylic, glycolic thing.. right now i am starting clinac BPO and tazorac....hopefully that will do...how did leo's book work for you..is it even worth a try???

Old 06-04-2003, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
hi mich
leo's book was worth the $9 or however much i spent on it, and worth the read. i tend to do a lot of reading about nutrition and macrobiotics, although i'm sorry to say i got pulled into Leo's book a bit too far. The EFA's and food combining are worth a go, but i think Marilu Henner has the best books on food combining. i think the best thing to be gleaned from his book is that in many cases, acne is an internal disorder, and a personal one at that. i've decided to stop trying to monkey around with my diet and supplements and all so much b/c i eat so damn healthy, ppl make fun of me at work, and i'm not about to give up the things i do in moderation. Plus i think skin can sort of self-perpetuate acne once the acne gets going b/c of the way skin's inflammation and infections work.
My verdict is that both books are definitely worth a good read, but Leo's is more valuable for the directions it might point you in to do a little more reading, where the author backs it up a bit better.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:16 AM   #8

Oinkoink HB User
Hey all, Sedulous. How is the program going for you? I have not started yet... I became very confused because I went out and bought a salicylic acid gel, and went through the three steps but during each step, all of the products completely absorbed into my skin (as they are designed to do) so that when I was supposed to rinse them off with warm water, there was nothing to rinse off! So then I was thinking "was I supposed to buy a cleanser, not a gel/cream?" but then when I looked at the products recommended, like Oxy Night Watch, they are definitely over-night gels... but I am confused because they all absorb very quickly, especially the benzoyl peroxide- there is nothing to wipe off. Are you finding this is the case with you? Any advice?
Good luck on your program!
~Oink

Old 06-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
i started out using a nighttime type gel too, and switched to neutrogena oil free acne wash, which also has 2% salicylic. i liked the gel better, and will probably go with that. i wet my face first with warm water, and smeared the stuff around, and it worked ok.

As for the glycolic bit, for now, i'm using a toner with the acid in it, and not rinsing, until i can get the right product (i think i'm going to buy aqua glycolic, when i have time)

i posted an update and stuff...i think the post is "Update on The Acne Cure"

Old 06-11-2003, 09:35 AM   #10

sam2tv HB User
Please inform us about your results.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
Isn't this cure just basically what a lot of us were already doing--azelaic acid, BHA, and BP--except that you are washing them off after putting them on? That seems strange because how could they work then? Am I missing something here? Sorry to make you repeat it if I am. I'm just trying to figure out what's different about this from many of our routines.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
yes. I thought it was strange as well on washing them off. LOL.

I also think using a BP face wash is far more effective, following it with a Glycolic and/or Salicylic. Finally topping it off with a BP refridgerator type gel. And LEAVING THEM ALL ON. Not washing it off. It seems silly to wash it off.

What do u guys think?

------------------------

I have the main 3 products of this book: Salicylic Glycolic & Peroxide. But I use a different order and the products are in different form. So far 3 weeks = clear skin.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:34 PM   #13

Oinkoink HB User
Talking

Hello! PureOilyMe
The cure is a little different because you use specific concentrations of the products, and for the benzoyl peroxide you achieve the same effect as "cryonotherapy" (or something) by rubbing your face with an ice cube, putting the benzoyl peroxide on, then resting under an ice pack to let the BP do it's work. The cure states that BP can't effectively get to your pores without this cold regimen.
I think the washing off thing allows them to stay on for sufficient time to allow them to work, and then by washing helps get rid of the product for the next application.... the cure book states that salicylic acid and glycolic acid shouldn't be used together, for a not-understood reason, somehow they lessen eachother's effectiveness.. thus you wash the salicylic acid off before the glycolic.. I can definitely feel each step though, so something must be working in that few minutes
----------------------------------

poreoilyme
Senior Veteran

posted 06-11-2003 06:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isn't this cure just basically what a lot of us were already doing--azelaic acid, BHA, and BP--except that you are washing them off after putting them on? That seems strange because how could they work then? Am I missing something here? Sorry to make you repeat it if I am. I'm just trying to figure out what's different about this from many of our routines.
--------------------------------------
Aaron43,
The only thing I can see is it would be best to wash off the salicylic acid before the glycolic because of product interactions... but I think you could leave glycolic on and then do the benzoyl peroxide. The order from the cure says you should do the acids first to clear skin of surface bacteria and open up pores, then do benzoyl to clean deep bacteria.. doing it backwards, according to the book, doesn't make sense.

You said you have clear skin after doing your reverse regimen? That's great! What was the severity before? What exactly is your regimen?

Old 06-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #14
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Hm I don't really buy it. Doesn't seem like there is some "magical" percentage of these ingredients that will clear everyone up. I really doubt this works any better than most methods using these products. Also I don't think it could work for cystic acne as it develops so deep below the surface, we need a treatment that works from the outside and inside. But that's just what I think, if it's working for you, don't mind me...

Old 06-12-2003, 10:02 PM   #15

chemicaldreamer HB User
I have cystic acne... for years, the only thing that worked for me was Accutane... but when they came back this time, i wasn't going to go on Accutane a 3rd time, so i started to use a system very similar to the Acne Cure... and i haven't had a single zit or cyst in over 6 months.

Closed Thread