It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
(female)

idealist HB User
saying goodbye. i've controlled my acne through diet

it's been a long time since i've posted because my skin has been great. i just want to reach out once more before completely signing off in hopes of helping some people. i spent years being very depressed and insecure so i know what it's like. if i can help just one person realize and get through this it's worth it.

so here i go. i will try to make this as short and simple as possible...

some of my early, informative posts
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=136366[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=196137[/url]
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=204533[/url]

what i NEARLY eliminate (not just decreased) from my diet: refined sugar, refined/simple carbs, milk/yogurt, anything pasteurized. anything that comes in a box or can. so no boxed cereals, no bottled fruit juices, no "health" bars. no bread (not even whole wheat bread -- most of it isn't truly whole grain anyway), no pasta. nothing with any flour in it, even if it's whole wheat flour. wheat is highly processed these days.

what i mostly eat: FRESH, WHOLE food that naturally grows from nature. FRESH veggies, leafy greens, low glycemic fruits, dried beans, whole grains (quinoa, buckwheat, brown rices, wild rices), nuts, seeds. basically, if it didn't come out of the earth in some natural way, i don't eat it. another way to think of it, if back in the day of nomads and cave men didn't have it to eat, why should we be eating it.

yes, back then they ate dairy, meat, etc. but the way animals were raised back then were much healthier (no antibiotics, no hormones). also, milk wasn't patuerized, it was raw.

don't fool yourself into eating those "natural" "health" bars and cereals. it's all crap. take a good look at the ingredients in those things. they are filled with fortified vitamins (a number of people have posted they noticed they break out from vitamins). but vitamins are good for usaren't they? yes, but REAL vitamins, NATURALLY found in food. not chemical derivatives that are used to fortify and enrich food. if you eat a fresh, whole foods diet with lots of variety, you don't need any suppliments.

also, and this is important, it takes TIME. lots of TIME, to see the results. you can't expect to see results in two weeks. i started noticing a difference in about 4 months. i was even better after one year. and EVEN BETTER after the second year. during the past year i really started increasing the variery of food i ate and that helped even more. i get many compliments now -- people saying i look really healthy.

also, just in case you are curious, for the past 2 years i have not been on any birth control, no antibiotics, no acne creams or washes (i wash with an olive oil based soap), no supplements.

please consider all this. i will admit, it's NOT EASY. but trust me, once you start to see the results it's so encouraging. if you are a sugar and carb addict like i was, it WILL get easier. you WILL lose the craving. it just takes times, stick with it!

sincere good wishes and luck!

Last edited by idealist; 05-20-2006 at 01:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
(female)

susilee HB User
Re: saying goodbye. i've controlled my acne through diet

Hello, Thank you for posting this, I believe in this connection as well and have been looking into this connection and reading alot about it lately. I believe in the connection between diet and acne because I know when I have just decreased my carbs my acne has improved. BUT I want to do this fully, I have confidance in it, but not in my ability to stick to it, becasue of how addicted I am to all these carbs and processed foods like most of the world. I agree with your point that some people doubt this because when they have tried to eat "healthy" there skin hasnt improved, but I am with you 100%, that everyone has a scewed perception of what is healthy, just like I did. My whole life I have never eaten alot of fast food or unhealthy greasy stuff. I felt I was healthy because I ate pasta and carbs in place of fatty stuff. I know that this is very bad. I have looked into an acne diet it is VERY restrictive, alot of freash fruit, olive oil, raw fish, raw egg yolks and NO cooked anything! No dairy, no processed food, etc. There is ALOT of information on this site and peoples feedback. I urge anyone to read it, just for the information to consider. For me it makes sense, when you think back to the cavemen, they werent eating cooked meat or anything processed. I want to give this a try, but the huge difficulty of it is daunting, especially living with an Italian family! Goodluck to eveyone else on this site, and if anyone else has looked into the acne/food connection, post some thoughts/results!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-13-2006 at 07:24 AM. Reason: if a word is asterisked then it is not allowed - please edit your post to remove it

Old 05-13-2006, 05:40 AM   #3

findingmyway67 HB User

Thank you Idealist for posting this.

For ME, and I know this is not true for everyone, what I eat directly affects my skin. Dairy is a big culprit for me, especially ice cream. It's my favorite treat. I am also addicted to sugar. Changing my eating habits is a constant struggle for me. I research and try to learn more every day. I thought 100% whole wheat bread was a good choice for me, but now I think that may make me break out too.

I try to eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. That makes the biggest difference in my skin. I'm also researching doing a colon cleanse.

I'm glad you had success changing your diet. I'm on my way too.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
(female)

luvsun24 HB User

Back in the fall, I started to take supplements and change my diet. I didn't totally eliminate sugar or carbs, but I made a conscious effort to eat more veggies and less sugar. The supplements really sealed the deal for me. I have realized that acne is from toxins, hormones and stress. I take several antioxidants, including burdock and red clover and an acidopholus/probiotic and A, C and E. I take soy and fish oils for the hormones. I take a complex B and ginko biloba for stress and I take zinc, calium w/ magnesium, and an alpha lipoic acid to promote rapid skin healing.

As I started this in the fall, boy did my skin break out at first. After about a month, I was clear and I stayed clear for six months. After listening to a doctor on the radio talk about detoxing, with every season change, I realized I needed to either stay on these supplements continuously, or make sure to do this every three months. Now, the downside of that is a breakout at first so I have opted to stay on these supplements. This way I do not have totally eliminate foods that I love, but I can minimize them and also get the additional benefits of taking the supplements. For instance, red clover has been proven to fight the development of cancerous tumors. These are bonuses in addition to the clear skin.

If you don't want to so dramatically change your diet, try this and I know you will be happy and have tons of energy to boot.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealist
what i NEARLY eliminate (not just decreased) from my diet: refined sugar, refined/simple carbs, milk/yogurt, anything pasteurized. anything that comes in a box or can. so no boxed cereals, no bottled fruit juices, no "health" bars. no bread (not even whole wheat bread -- most of it isn't truly whole grain anyway), no pasta. nothing with any flour in it, even if it's whole wheat flour. wheat is highly processed these days.

what i mostly eat: FRESH, WHOLE food that naturally grows from nature. FRESH fruits, fresh veggies, leafy greens, dried beans, nuts, seeds. basically, if it didn't come out of the earth in some natural way, i don't eat it. another way to think of it, if back in the day of nomads and cave men didn't have it to eat, why should we be eating it.

yes, back then they ate dairy, meat, etc. but the way animals were raised back then were much healthier (no antibiotics, no hormones). also, milk wasn't patuerized, it was raw.

don't fool yourself into eating those "natural" "health" bars and cereals. it's all crap. take a good look at the ingredients in those things. they are filled with fortified vitamins (a number of people have posted they noticed they break out from vitamins). but vitamins are good for usaren't they? yes, but REAL vitamins, NATURALLY found in food. not chemical derivatives that are used to fortify and enrich food. if you eat a fresh, whole foods diet with lots of variety, you don't need any suppliments.

it takes TIME. lots of TIME, to see the results. you can't expect to see results in two weeks. i started noticing a difference in about 4 months. during the past year i really started increasing the variery of food i ate and that helped even more. i get many compliments now -- people saying i look really healthy.

for the past 2 years i have not been on any birth control, no antibiotics, no acne creams or washes (i wash with an olive oil based soap), no supplements.

it's NOT EASY. but trust me, once you start to see the results it's so encouraging. if you are a sugar and carb addict like i was, it WILL get easier. you WILL lose the craving.
Idealist, I think you should remain active on these boards. Like you, I've been able to control my acne through diet. Unfortunately, there are plenty of nonbelievers and people like us need to stick around to make sure the message gets out. Plus I think you'll agree that there are plenty of other health problems that are also the product of diet and your posts would be beneficial on the other boards here besides the Acne one.

People really do need to be patient. They also need to be willing to question what experts recommend. I used to think I ate pretty healthy. I made the changes the experts recommended such as eating whole wheat bread instead of white bread, low fat dairy instead of the regular kind, and less processed food. That was certainly a step in the right direction, but now I realize there was plenty of room for improvement. As someone who's a big believer in science and evolution, I feel like such an idiot for not seeing the obvious. The human body is the product of millions of years of evolution so it makes perfect sense to eat the foods that history has conditioned the body to run on. And yet so many of us eat foods that no caveman would ever recognize. We even pat ourselves on the back for eating things we think are healthy like whole wheat bread. But what would the caveman think if you put a loaf of bread in front of him? If I had never seen bread before, I'd have no idea what it was derived from. At least if I saw chicken breasts in the frozen food section, I'd be able to tell it was some animal.

Making the transition to this way of eating isn't easy and it does require doing it in stages. I was never a pasta person, so giving it up was easy. But I ate sandwiches daily so cutting out bread was tough. I still haven't cut out oatmeal cause I'm so used to eating it for breakfast, but I have been scaling back on it. I avoid supplements though. Anytime I see people buying calcium supplements or Vitamin B pills, I laugh. The very fact that people feel the need for these extra pills is the problem. If you're eating a proper diet, you shouldn't need this stuff and if you feel like you need to buy it, then you're just admitting your diet is coming up short. So why not fix the diet? LOL.

The hardest part for me has been planning meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are easy. It's the meals in between that I have trouble with, especially when it comes to meeting protein requirments. After all, how much chicken can one eat per day? LOL.

I would love to find some good books on this subject.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
(male)

dave_89 HB User

You say that it has been 2 years and your acne is now gone.
How old are you, could it not just be a case that you have out grown spots/acne now?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:01 AM   #7
(male)

dave_89 HB User

ANother thing I don't understand.
I have virtually the same diet as a lot of my freinds. Yet I seem to have acne and thier's is not so bad. My diet is also pretty heatly, consisting of fruit, veg, protein, carb's etc.
Also, a lot of my family have had problems with acne, therefore mine is pretty much genetic. I don't understand how diet can be linked when there are examples all around me that this is not the case.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_89
ANother thing I don't understand.
I have virtually the same diet as a lot of my freinds. Yet I seem to have acne and thier's is not so bad. My diet is also pretty heatly, consisting of fruit, veg, protein, carb's etc.
Also, a lot of my family have had problems with acne, therefore mine is pretty much genetic. I don't understand how diet can be linked when there are examples all around me that this is not the case.
Ever notice two people who eat the same only one gains weight and the other doesn't? Ever notice how two people can drink the same amount of alcohol only one gets drunk and the other doesn't? Ever notice how two people eat junk food only one person gets sick and the other doesn't? We all react differently to food and drink. The bottom line is that you can't compare yourself to everyone else around you. You have to figure out what works for you, not worry about what the other guy does. I know women who complain about their friend, the skinny one who can eat like a horse and never gain weight. They're insanely jealous, but one thing they've all accepted is that she's different and they can only work with what life has given them. I know plenty of people who eat chocolate and have clear skin. If I eat it, I get a pimple after 2-3 days. I can either look at them and wonder how it is they're able to get away with it or I can just accept that I'm different and move forward.

Also, you say you're eating pretty healthy, but are you really? A lot of us have been conditioned to think certain foods are healthy when in fact they're not. For the longest time, I thought dairy and whole wheat bread was healthy so I kept on eating it, but my acne wouldn't go away. I know people who think diet soda is healthy cause it's not loaded with sugar the way regular soda is. But all of these foods are processed foods and not what your body was designed to run on. From now on, whenever you eat something, check the label. Look at the ingredients. If there's stuff in there you can't pronounce or doesn't sound like it's natural, don't eat it. I once read that if a food comes with a nutritional label, that's probably a good reason to avoid it. After all, do fruits come with labels? Do vegetables? Does chicken? And keep in mind that making dietary changes won't yield results overnight or even after a few weeks. You've been eating a certain way for years. The effects of that food won't go away in just a month.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
(female)

luvsun24 HB User

Out to Lunch is right that some thin people can eat as much as they want and never gain weight while others gain after eating only a tiny bit. In the same vein, some clear-skinned people can eat total junk and never get a zit, while others break out after eating one piece of chocolate. The difference between those people who don't break out and us is that they probably have the hydrochloric acid in their system to break down those toxins before they are released into the skin. We probably don't. In Europe, it is a common practice to take "bitters" before eating a meal. The bitters stimulate the saliva to produce hydrochloric acid and properly break down food.

I eat a pretty healthy diet. Lots of fruits and veggies, protein, lentils, etc... However, I do occasionally like to have a piece of chocolate, a bowl of ice cream, pasta, a sandwich or a glass of milk. I am thin and I can do it w/out a weight-gain issue. I do take supplements (and I shouldn't be criticized for doing so), because they do stimulate blood and intestinal cleansing to break down food. If you wish to limit your diet to where it is just not fun to eat, then that is your deal. If you don't want to be soooooooooo drastic, then watch your diet, take supplements, enjoy the other benefits from these supplements (increased energy, cancer fighting agents, anti-aging agents and free-radical fighting agents), eat what you want occasionally, not daily and you will see clearer skin.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
(female)

idealist HB User

thank you out to lunch! yes, everyone is different. i've always been really thin my whole life and used to think i was so healthy b/c of it. meanwhile i was eating mostly fast food. well, i've had a number of other health probs (gastro related and hormonal). but chaning my diet to a fresh whole foods diet nearly eliminated by symptoms. i was diagnosed with PCOS in my mid 20s. now my skin is great, i don't get menstraul cramps and my hair isn't falling out anymore (it's actually gotten a little thicker! i've gotten compliments on my hair now too!)

as far as the possibility of growing out of acne. no i haven't.. that's why i say i've CONTROLLED my acne not CURED it. i still "fall of the wagon" occasionally and binge of some pizza or cookies and i'll break out a litlle. but the blemishes will go away a lot faster now. cause i soon go back to my whole foods diet. i'm not eating the junk food or the sweets almost every day like i used to. now i reserve desserts for special occasions every few months. i still love things like cookies and pizza. i try to make them myself at home and so i control the ingredients that go into them. i don't use white sugar. i'll use maple syrup. i don't use wheat flour in cookies, i'll use bean or oat flour.

i don't really believe in CURES anymore, i believe in PREVENTION. modern medicine (all those acne pille, creams, etc) are just treating the SYMPTOM, not the CAUSE of the problem. the problem for me was processed food and sugar. so nearly eliminated those and worked for me (again, it takes TIME).

and getting back to growing of acne, has anyone noticed how many adults, even in thier 40s and older have acne?!? i'm kind of embarassed to say this, but i kind of inspect people's skin. i'm not trying to be judgemental. i think it's something i do b/c i've had skin problems so i'm always curious. anyway, there are lot of adults out there with not so great skin.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
(female)

Ramos HB User
Re:Anyone want to do the diet with me? and Proactive

Anyone want to do the diet with me? and Proactive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Story: I'm 23
I started writing a long journal of my story of how I tried this and that. But it got really long so I deleted it. The only thing that worked for my skin was Proactive. It really saved my skin. Everyone tells me how my face looks so much better. But I still have some scars and crater like holes in my face.

I am always yo-yo dieting to lose weight, but I always go back to Doritos and I love Tortillas with cheese, enchiladas, and chocolate. But I always notice when I go on my diet of fruits and vegetables for a week my skin always looks so good after a couple of days and after 5 days you can barely see my scars. A week before my weeding I stopped eating all junk food, bread etc... so I could be a liitle thinner and to my surprise I looked thinner and my skin was so beautiful for the rehearsal dinner and the wedding. As much as I want to have a trim body I want to have clear skin. It is hard for me to stay on the diet so I would like to know if there is anyone who wants to try it with me as support for eachother.We could just update eachother on how we're doing on the diet and what is happening to our skin. I would like to do the vegetable and fruit diet all week and then weekends splurge a little with a quesadilla or something like that. I am going to try this for amonth. I will update how my skin is doing with the vegetable and fruit diet and using Proactive.

Last edited by Ramos; 05-18-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
(male)

Legend09 HB User

Sure I'll try it.

I'm 1* and I have scars on my cheeks that are light but still there and noticeable but not that much.

So what should I start eating now?

Last edited by moderator2; 05-18-2006 at 11:49 PM. Reason: do not post your age under 17 - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 05-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #13
(female)

Ramos HB User
Re: FOODS & VITAMINS FOR BEAUTIFUL SKIN

Here are some tips I found from a holistic website for

FOODS & VITAMINS FOR BEAUTIFUL SKIN
*Vitamin A - good for clearing & preventing infections of the skin
-carrots, green leafy vegetables, tomato, papaya, melon

I try to eat papaya almost everyday. Many believe it heals acne scars. Sometimes it is hard to find.

*Vitamin B (Beta Carotene) -nuts, green leafy vegetables brewer's yeast
I am going to Whole Foods Market tomorrow to buy this. It claims to give you improvement in texture and glow in a week. Add 2 or more tablespoons to a daily diet (stir into citrus juice or water)

*Vitamin C - neccessary for production of collagen
- Fresh fruits lemon, orange, grapefruit, cantelope, kiwi, strawberries
- Green Vegetables broccoli, cabbage, green peppers, tomatoes

*Vitamin E - Improves circulation and healing of scars
- wheat germ, raw or sprouted seeds, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, leafy greens, olives, soybeans, sunflower, nuts, vegetable & olive oil

*Vitamin D - Promotes healthy skin, eyes and teeth
- Rays of the sun, salmon, tuna, sprouted seeds, fish liver oils
These are just vitamins alone, there are many minerals that help your skin as well. It is easy to read this, and oh so difficult to do. I am going to try to follow this diet throughout the weeks and splurge (a little) on the weekends. Also don't forget to wash your pillow case frequently and wipe your phone with rubbing alcohol. There are so many things that can make you break out but try to AVOID chemicals like harsh cleaners, cigarettes, DRUGS. Drugs will ruin your face.
I will let you know how the brewer's yeast works in a week.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #14
(female)

jjwdean HB User

So I'm curious- do you eat cooked foods? What about eggs? I'm very interested, not so much for the purposes of skin clearing but more because I need to clean up my diet. I've been vegan for about two years and I believe this helped me clear up my skin a lot, but I still eat a lot of junk, carbs, sugar, etc. Also a lot of sugar-free sodas and popsicles. I can't imagine living "normally" without these things!

Old 05-20-2006, 09:21 AM   #15
(female)

idealist HB User

i eat a variety of cooked and raw foods. mostly cooked though. in the warmer months i try to stick in some raw veggies and leafy greens (like baby spinach and arugula) i do eat eggs occasionally but ONLY if they are organic, antibiotic free.

Closed Thread