It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User
Thoughts On Dairy

I know the relationship between dairy products and acne has been discussed plenty of times and some people just aren't convinced there even is a connection. Maybe you or someone you know eats plenty of dairy products and never gets a pimple. Or maybe you've cut out all dairy from your diet but you still suffer from acne. But I think you need to ask yourself why do you even eat dairy products in the first place. First of all, cows today are fed grains, not their natural diet of grass. They're also pumped full of hormones and antiobiotics. So why would you want to put food that's highly contaminated into your body? Would you put contaminated gasoline in your car? Of course not. Second, is dairy something that's natural for adult humans to be eating? Why do mammals produce milk in the first place? To feed their young until they're old enough to eat the same food adults do. And yet here we are eating what's essentially food meant for babies. And if that weren't bad enough, we're not even eating the food meant for human babies. We're eating the stuff meant for cows. LOL. Can you imagine a cow feeding its offspring milk produced by a human? Also, if I knew someone whose body reacted badly to a certain food, that would raise a red flag. Even if it didn't have any noticeable effect on me, I'd still be a little cautious. What's more likely? That the food is harmful and maybe its effect on me is much more subtle and might take longer to manifest itself OR that I'm just lucky?

People like to think of the skin as just a container, but we now know it's more than that, much more. Skin is an organ and its state is a reflection of what's going on inside you. If you saw someone who was unusually pale or had a rash, you'd conclude that it wasn't just a skin problem, but that more likely something's going wrong inside them. So why wouldn't you conclude the same thing when you saw someone with acne? So if you're serious about treating and preventing acne, think carefully about what you eat. Ask yourself why you're eating it, what's in it, and whether it's something your body was meant to process. That goes for all food, not just dairy. I know that ever since I cut out processed food, including dairy, my skin is a lot better. Not only do I not get acne, my skin just looks healthier. But remember that detoxification takes a while. You have to be patient. You've probably been eating dairy and other processed foods for years. You can't expect to make up for the damage those foods may have caused in just a matter of weeks or even months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #2

Dont_give_up HB User
Re: Thoughts On Dairy

I'm starting to agree with you about your posts regarding acne and diet. I've been eating really well lately and have notice some improvements. Hopefully, I can get off minocycline and some topicals i'm using, but scared to do so. Couple questions for you:
1. how bad was your acne? you ever get those cysts?
2. have you ever taken medication for it and what were the results when your quit?
3. have you ever tried digestive cleanse of somesort???
4. can you give us all an example of what you eat throughout the day.

Thanks!!

Old 05-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

You have some good points, OTL. There are several testimonies on here that have shown that there is a connection between diet and acne. I have cut some things out of my diet, and my acne has improved to me being 98% clear. That's good for me!! But I will also say that dairy, mainly milk, has been consumed by humans for years. I think the correlation between acne and milk/dairy is valid, but it seems more like you're trying to convince people (in your first paragraph) of that the fact that milk is bad for them-period. Could please reserve that for the diet and nutrition forum? Yes, most milk has hormones and antibiotics in it. Did you know though that there are a few companies that make hormone-free/anitbiotic-free milk and other dairy products? I love milk. It does not affect my acne, nor do I feel bad for drinking it.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont_give_up
Hopefully, I can get off minocycline and some topicals i'm using, but scared to do so. Couple questions for you:
1. how bad was your acne? you ever get those cysts?
2. have you ever taken medication for it and what were the results when your quit?
3. have you ever tried digestive cleanse of somesort???
4. can you give us all an example of what you eat throughout the day.
1. My acne was never really bad because even as a teenager, I knew that my acne was the result of what I ate. It wasn't hard to notice the pattern. So if my skin broke out, I'd just avoid sugary foods. But then after a while, I'd cave and go eat junk food again and the cycle would repeat itself. The problem for me though was that, up until recently, I never thought to eliminate other foods like whole wheat bread or dairy cause, like a lot of people, I was convinced they were healthy.
2. I've never taken any medications or even been to a dermatologist. Like I said above, I never let my acne get that bad. At most, I used over-the-counter products which gave me mixed results at best.
3. I've never done a digestive cleanse. So far, it hasn't seemed necessary.
4. These days, I eat only whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, lean meat, fish, and nuts. I try to eat organic when I can, though for things like meat it's too expensive. I also avoid anything that's gone through substantial processing. You may have heard of The Caveman Diet, The Paleo Diet, Neanderthin, or Ultrametabolism. The premise behind all these diets is nothing new, but it's one that makes a lot of sense. Simply put, millions of years of evolution has conditioned our bodies to run on certain fuel and that genetically speaking, human beings aren't significantly different than ancient man. But we're eating foods that are very different than what ancient man ate. Ancient man didn't eat things like yogurt or bread and certainly didn't eat donuts or pizza. They wouldn't recognize them as food because they're things that we've manufactured. The theory is that most of today's leading health problems like heart disease, cancer, diabetes and even acne are the result of us eating processed foods, foods that we weren't designed to run on. It's analogous to putting diesel fuel in your car that requires unleaded gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBABY
But I will also say that dairy, mainly milk, has been consumed by humans for years. I think the correlation between acne and milk/dairy is valid, but it seems more like you're trying to convince people (in your first paragraph) of that the fact that milk is bad for them-period. Could please reserve that for the diet and nutrition forum? Yes, most milk has hormones and antibiotics in it. Did you know though that there are a few companies that make hormone-free/anitbiotic-free milk and other dairy products? I love milk. It does not affect my acne, nor do I feel bad for drinking it.
It may seem like humans have been drinking milk for years, but relatively speaking, it's a fairly new addition. Humans have been around for millions of years but the agricultural revolution happened in the last 1%. Also milk may not cause acne in everyone and you may not feel bad from drinking it, but just remember that it often takes a long time to feel the impact of something. Someone who smokes doesn't develop lung cancer overnight, but over time, it does add up. The same is true with a lot of the processed foods we eat. And the reason I posted this in this forum is because you can't separate acne from overall health. There's a tendency to look at health issues in isolation, but I think we need to take a more holistic approach. Smoking gives you lung cancer and heart disease. Sugar gives you acne along with tooth decay. If something gives you acne, chances are it's doing something else too.

Last edited by OutToLunch; 05-18-2006 at 12:21 PM.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

I'm sure there is nothing-food wise-that is guaranteed to be 100% safe, including your own diet. But since there have been no reports (that I am aware of) of dairy causing toxic or extreme health problems in the general population b/c of their contents, I am more inclined to believe that dairy is not as harmful as you say-granted you consume it in moderation.

And remember, just b/c you eat only whole foods doesn't mean that you're body is benefiting 100% from them.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

I never implied that whole foods are 100% safe or that you can derive 100% of its benefits. Given how contaminated our food supply is, even whole foods carry substantial health risks. But they're still safer than manufactured foods. As for dairy causing serious health problems, part of the problem is that something like dairy takes a long time to produce any serious effects and it's difficult to perform long-term studies where you can isolate the effects of dairy from all the other foods a person eats in his or lifetime. Plus the dairy industry has major connections in the Department of Agriculture as well as the Food & Drug Administration. That makes it pretty easy to discourage or downplay any studies on dairy products while at the same time promoting their benefits. There's an excellent book called Food Politics written by a someone who worked at the D of A. She talks about how much influence the food industry has on government policy. The history of the food pyramid is a real eye-opener.

Dairy products won't kill you and if you consume them in moderation, you should be OK. But it's like alcohol. One drink every now and then won't kill you. But have a couple drinks everyday and in 20 or 30 years, you'll start to notice the effect.

Old 05-18-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

The book you mentioned sound interesting!! I might look in to that.

And I apologize if I came across as snooty in my first post to you. You just don't know how many times I have heard people scream about "Cow milk is for cows!!! Not humans!! It's bad!!" I guess it just gets old, to me, and when I read your post, I was like "Oh boy, another one... "

My apologies.

Old 05-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #8
(female)

susilee HB User

Thought I would add my 2 cents as I have been able to control my acne through diet. I think concerning dairy and any other food, it is something that you personally have to determine by yourself if it is a contributer, unfortunately no one has been able to post a definate diet or a definate skin care regime on this board because simply a universal response does not exist, it is different for everyone, because everyones bodies are different. Of course there are some foods that are more commenly linked (pasta/bread/dairy) to acne but for someone to say "NO! dairy has nothing to do with acne becasue I eat 2 bowls of icecream everyday" is not a proof in anyway. I eat rice and it dosnt bother my skin, but I am not going to tell someone who says it IS a cause that they are wrong. As far as I can tell it is an individual thing which (unfortunately) might take a little while for each person to find out exactley what it is that makes their skin improve or get worse. But because dairy (as well as other foods) are COMMON causes for MANY (not all) it is probably a good place to start experimenting with restrictions. And if it has no effect on you...good for you...I am jealous of the icecream you get to eat
Good luck everyone

Old 05-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

Exactly. Just because one person can eat dairy all day and never get acne doesn't prove that dairy is safe. It just proves that some people tolerate it better than others. Each person has to experiment to figure out how much they can get away with. I did such an experiment on myself a while back where I eat 2 cups of cottage cheese per day. What I discovered was that dairy by itself didn't seem to give me major problems, though I did get the occasional pimple.

Just remember though that some foods may be bad for you, but you might not see the effects for years. A perfect example of that is farmed fish. You could eat some several times a week and feel just fine a month or even a year from now. Flash forward 10 years when you're suffering from major health problems and you discover that it's because of mercury poisoning. So maybe those of us who breakout easily from eating dairy are lucky because we're getting almost immediate feedback that it doesn't agree with us.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
(female)

jjwdean HB User

Not to mention the treatment of the cows, but that's another issue. Milk is said to be one of the culprits in why girls are developing at an earlier age... the hormones and other various chemicals in milk cause this. It's quite creepy, and for these reasons I'm willing to go without it, but the skin thing is nice too.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User

I've heard that too. The theory is that the hormones that get pumped into milk and end up in humans cause increased estrogen levels. Unfortunately the same thing happens in adults too and higher than normal estrogen levels have been implicated in certain types of cancer, particulary in men and prostate cancer. So if you absolutely can't go without dairy, stick to organic.

Closed Thread