It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

eliannas_mommy HB User
Question Mineral Makeup

Just wondering if anyone is using mineral makeup due to sensitive/acne prone skin, and if so, which brand??? Bare Escentuals is pretty expensive, especially since I'm from Canada and the cost of shipping is quite steep. I was looking into Herbal Basics, but I'm worried about purchasing a cheap knock-off and finding out it's bad for my skin. If anyone has any knowledge or suggestions on the subject that you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Re: Mineral Makeup

I've been using Bare Escentuals for just over 2 yrs now and I can honestly say that it has made a very big difference in my acne. I actually noticed a really big difference within a week or so. Regular (liquid/cake/etc) makeup always broke me out worse when I wore it. You couldn't pay me enough to switch back to the other stuff now.

I've never tried any of the other mineral makeups, but I've never heard anything bad about them. I've heard that there's something in the BE makeup that does break some people out who have really really sensitive skin. I have sensitive skin, but I have no problems with it at all.

I know I can't post links and I hope I don't get "moderated" for this, but you can get TONS of samples of Bare Escentuals on a certain very well-known bidding website That's how I tested things out without spending a ton of cash before I bought the full size jars. I still do it now when I want to try new things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

eliannas_mommy HB User

Okay, thanks a lot! I might just spend the money on the Bare Escentuals if it's that good. I'd rather spend a little more and get good results. I will order samples off of that certain well known bidding site first though...

Meanwhile, If there is anyone else who has tried the Herbal Basics or another more inexpensive brand and finds it good for their skin, please let me know anyway.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
(female)

jillr HB User

I found Bare Beauty Minerals on that "popular auction site." It was much cheaper and it seems to be working well.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
(male)

iceboi HB User

I heard GLO Minerals is also good but a bit more expensive than Bare E. I tried the pressed powder myself one day at a spa as the lady who worked there asked me if i wanted a free mineral make-up application. AMAZINGLY it covers everything and actually makes my face matte and gives me a natural glow. It looked like I never suffered from acne or had any past acne marks. Also when I looked in the mirror it didn't even look like I had make-up on. I was amazed. The only bad thing was the Pressed Powder costed about $80 plus you had to also buy this Kubuki brush to apply the powder and costed $48.

Awesome stuff. I would buy it but as you see I'm a guy and putting make-up isn't me also it takes me 20-30 mins to do my regular regimen if I had to put on make-up whooo probably an hour more....

Well good luck to you

Old 05-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
(female)

susilee HB User

Hello! I thought I would put in my opionion about bare essentials mineral makeup. I ordered it from the website 2 weeks ago and just got it this week and have been using it for the last few days. Pretty much my acne is cleared up from my diet changes, its just the scars that are really bothersome, so I wanted a makeup I could wear everyday without irritating my skin and so far so good! The coverage I dont find as good as my liquid makeup (but I am still learning the technique) but there is no way I could go back to putting a heavy makeup on my face everyday! My skin has definately improved in appearence just from not putting the heavy stuff on for the last little while. As for price I understand where you are coming from, I am from canada too and with shipping (I got the whole kit from the website) it came to like 80 dollars american and then when the post came I had to pay another 15 dollars canadain in taxes!!!! erghhh...so I am definately going to opt out of there club which is another negative about ordering from the BE website they put you in it automatically, which sends you shipments every 60 days! (Im a university student so 100$+ every 60 days is a definate no!) I was thinking of probably just reorddering from sephora the foundation which is still pretty expensive (25$) and hopefully the shipping wont be as bad since it is small. Anyways so if you are thinking about ordering this brand, I cant compare to other brands but I can tell you that it makes your skin definately look nice, coverage for me defiantley isnt as good (yet) as a liquid foundation, but after using this which dosnt irratate and make my skin worse there is no way I can go back to covering my skin with a heavy makeup and be itching (literally) to take it off all day. I am finally starting to feel better in my own skin! Good luck!
My regime:
morning:
Neutrogena acne free cleanser
Carleys clear and smooth soap (NO SCRUB! way too harsh for me)
Carleys day time moisterizer
BE mineral foundation
BE mineral veil

Most important!!!! (for me) diet: fruits/vegs....no pasta/wheat/bread
Intense exercise every night (the sweat clears my pores-but it has to be intense and (of course shower after)

night: (after run)
carleys clear and smooth soap in warm shower
lots of water and sleep!!!
Works for me!

Old 05-20-2006, 05:34 AM   #7
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Mineral Makeup

Susilee, if you need more coverage (which most of us do), and don't use this already, I highly recommend the Bare Escentuals "Bisque". It's their concealer and AWESOME at covering the scars without breaking you out

Also, yes, definately get out of their "club". You're right, they will have you on autodelivery and will charge you like crazy.. that happened to my mom

I order ALL of my Bare Minerals stuff off that certain well-known bidding website You can get it for soooo much cheaper as you need it and you don't end up with a surplus of things you don't need every 60 days. One 9 gram jar (the largest size) of the foundation lasts me almost all year because I use the Bisque concealer instead of using up a ton of foundation to cover the scars. It is so well worth it to purchase it.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-20-2006 at 05:41 AM.

Old 05-20-2006, 08:30 AM   #8
(female)

Texanne HB User

I have been using BE for about one week now. My skin is very clear right at this moment. I'm beginning to get the hang of it now. I got the starter kit and added the bisque so I would get free shipping. The starter kit came with kabuki brush, regular brush, and the small eyeshadow sized extra coverage brush, two foundations, warmth, and mineral veil. My total was a little over $80. I may send the bisque back and get summer bisque. Sephora has a free return shipping label so I'm not worried. I ordered the BE because I'm 41 years old and still have regular, almost daily breakouts. I have oily skin but I need to use anti-aging creams too! I was wearing Estee Lauder Double Wear liquid ($32), Revlon Colorstay ($12) among many others. When I read here how many people had such great success with BE, I bought it as an anti acne medication. So far, it has been working very well. I am just now beginning to get the coverage that I need to cover old scars, redness, etc... without making the overall coverage too heavy. It does take some practice! The true test for me will be the week before "that time of the month". That is when I tend to get the gigantico zits which leave red spots that take months to fade!

Old 05-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
(female)

susilee HB User

Dee74-Thanks for the bisque tip, I think I will definately try that as others have commented on how good it is for extra coverage. As for that popular bidding site I will probably start to get my stuff from there or another place online (at least until some of these canadian stores get their act together and start carrying the BE line )

Old 05-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
(female)

eliannas_mommy HB User

Thanks everyone. I ordered the BE foundation and a sample of the Bisque. I looked for samples of the other brands some of you mentioned but all I could find was Herbal Basics. BE seems pretty tried, tested and true though, so hopefully I will love it as you all do! Is it actually GOOD for your skin, or just not bad for it? What I mean is, it wouldn'tactually be more beneficial than wearing NO makeup would it? Someone tried to tell me that, because of their "So pure you can sleep in it" claim, but I thought it might be a little far-fetched. (?) Nevertheless, they definitely need to get crackin' with the mineral makeup sales here in Canada! It's such a great concept.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

amy2705 HB User

They do sell it in Canada. I get my Bare Escentuals from Sephora in the mall (Toronto). You can also order it from Sephora's web site if there isn't a Sephora where you live. Good thing about Sephora is that you don't have to sign up for regular shipments like you do if you order it direct from BE.

P.S. Hope you like the BE - it's great!

Old 05-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #12
(female)

Dee74 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Mineral Makeup

While I adore BE and recommend it to everyone I know (LOL) I don't think there's anything in it that's actually good for your skin.. as in, wearing it isn't going to miraculously cure all of our skin problems simply because most of our issues aren't just from makeup alone. It goes deeper than that. It's not going to make a zit go away and it's not going to be any better for you than going bare-faced.

BUT, with that said, I honestly think that unless you are sensitive to any of the ingredients in mineral makeup (which few people are), it is a miracle makeup simply because it RARELY has a negative effect on your skin. It's not going to clog your pores and get all the gunk down in there and it's not going to cause a zit to get worse like it does when you try to cover it by smearing a heavy concealer on it. Now, when I do have a particularly stubborn zit, I use Maybelline's Pure Makeup concealer stick. It has salicylic acid in it and usually helps kill the stubborn zits.. then I use the Bisque on top of that, and voila, no more zit that you can see

Also, I have slept in this makeup many many many times (I have to take sedatives at night and sometimes they kick in before I've washed my face) and have never once had any problems. In the past, when I wore regular foundation, if I slept in it.. OMG holy breakout city batman!! I would have around 10 new zits when I woke up in the morning. Then of course, I would use more topical acne meds, which would dry me out so much I'd be flaky, then I'd need to use more moisturizer to combat the dryness, then I'd breakout MORE and have to use a gunky concealer to hide it all.. which just made things even worse. Vicious cycle from hell. I have never ever had that problem since using BE.. and I'm pretty sure that most other mineral makeups are the same.

Alot of people swear by Sheer Cover as well. I've personally never tried it. I haven't needed to. But, if you do end up with any problems using the BE makeup, by all means, try another mineral makeup.. from the bidding site, of course!!

I think I have an unnatural addiction to my beloved well known bidding site LOL but hey, it keeps me from wasting a ton of money. I can buy small samples instead of full size jars that don't end up working for me, then I've wasted money (that I really have no extra of) and am stuck with a bunch of stuff. I get all of my face color samples (eyeshadow, blush, etc) from there as well.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-21-2006 at 06:09 AM.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:18 AM   #13
(female)

omalll HB User

I use Mineral Basics. Its somewhat independent, but do a search and you'll find it. You get more makeup than bare escentuals, for $10 less. And it has no bismuth oxychloride or any parabens, etc.. which can lead to breakouts. They actually have colors for people with pink-undertones, unlike bare escentuals.
Its $15 for a 10g jar, as opposed to $25 for a 9g jar. And wont break you out. (or, shouldnt).

Old 05-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
(female)

eliannas_mommy HB User

Cool! I'll be keeping that one in mind too. I had never even heard of Mineral makeup until I started using Carley's Clear and Smooth products and they recommended I look into it. I can't wait to try it now. And that's also great that they sell it in Canada! We don't like driving into TO much, (we're only an hour away, but the drivers/truckers there make my maritime hubby go nuts!) but next time we have to go there I will have to plan a trip to Sephora at the same time.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by omalll
I use Mineral Basics. Its somewhat independent, but do a search and you'll find it. You get more makeup than bare escentuals, for $10 less. And it has no bismuth oxychloride or any parabens, etc.. which can lead to breakouts. They actually have colors for people with pink-undertones, unlike bare escentuals.
Its $15 for a 10g jar, as opposed to $25 for a 9g jar. And wont break you out. (or, shouldnt).
How does it cover? Did you buy their brushes? How do you like them? And other items from their line?

Someone in one of these discussions said they got better brushes than the ones in the BE kit from some other vendor.

I think it would be better to go to a store where they test it on you and determine your color for you than to by the starter kit since it comes with 2 foundations, one of which you might not want.

I just went out today to Ulta and Sephora to try them out and get samples. They have someone demoing BE at both places. Ulta has lighting that reveals absolutely everything, so I couldn't say I was pleased with the BE that was spot tested on my face, but I guess it covered as well as my liquid foundation. Although she also applied a bit of the bisque concealer, too. The starter kit was on promotion for I think $45, which might make it the best deal.

Ulta has a store brand, foundation only, that's $14 for 8 grams.

I also tried the Urban Decay tester on my chest where I have some dark blotchy pigment that the Ulta lighting made look horrible. It covered nicely. The urban decay is $28 for I don't know how much, but the jar comes with a built in puff applicator. All you do is remove the cap. They have foundation only.

The woman at Sephora removed the makeup from one side of my face and applied the fairly light. No concealor or other stuff. But it looks pretty good. In their lighting and in the car on the way home. They have some of the prettiest blush colors I've ever seen as well. The BE foundation is $25 for 9 grams?.

Then I looked at the philosophy which came in the same kind of container as the Urban Decay. It cost the most - $35 for I don't know how much. About the same amount as the Urban Decay I think.

They will put a little from the testers into some sample jars for you so I have samples of the BE and Philosophy.

I examined the built in applicator for the Philosophy and it was similar to the old fashioned kind of fabric powder puff, kind of like velour. So I stopped at Sally Beauty Supply and bought a puff for .99.

And I have some samples from Cory ordered online. I'll try Mineral Basics too.

Last edited by lindanm; 05-21-2006 at 05:35 PM.

Closed Thread