It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
(female)

budholls HB User
A more natural approach: African black soap and unrefined shea butter???

Has anyone tried this combination? I read somewhere that it's amazing for acne and the maintenance of healthy skin.

My acne right now is pretty much under control now. I have adult acne and didn't start having acne until I was about 25; I'm going to be 28 soon. The last couple of years have been horrible!!! Finally, I got clear by using Carley's Clear and Smooth (after reading the "OMG...it works!" thread) and that product led me to consider other more natural treatments and products. I've just started using mineral make up from Everyday Minerals and everything I put on my face now is natural. I'm loving the results!

I'm looking for a simple and fuss-free routine and I'm thinking about using African black soap as a wash/cleanser and Shea Butter as a moisturizer. Although, I love Carley's, I'm trying to find a product without any active ingredients in it. I so am not a big fan of their daytime moisturizer. Anyone out there tried African black soap and Shea Butter? I also read the thread on the healthboard about Shea Butter and Black Soap and I was wondering if those members that were using it have still continued to use it? Are you still getting good results? Thanks!

Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Inactive

Terrierlover HB User
Re: A more natural approach: African black soap and unrefined shea butter???

Shea butter is wayyyyy to rich and heavy for your face. Be careful. Also, check and see how that soap is made before you use it on your face, you want to be careful as to what you put around your eyes and mouth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

budholls HB User

Hey Terrierlover,

Thanks for the reply. I've actually been using this natural moisturizer that has whipped pure, unrefined shea butter and jojoba oil in it. Those are the only two ingredients and I love it. I use to have oily acne prone skin, but recently, I've noticed that it's not really oily at all anymore. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks or so, and so far, I haven't broken out. In fact, my previous acne scars are lightening. Plus, the moisturizer works really well as a primer for me for mineral makeup. I don't find it heavy because it absorbs really well and very quickly into my skin and it doesn't clog my pores. I guess it depends on your skin and the type of acne you have. Since I have adult acne, I think it had to do with all the chemicals in the products that I was using. Now that I'm using natural products, I am no longer breaking out or getting pimples out of the blue. (Knock on wood!!!)

The African black soap contains: roasted plantain skin, cocoa pod, virgin palm kernel oil, virgin coconut oil, virgin palm oil & natural sodium. It's the real kind that I found online after reading up on it. There is apparently a lot of imitation ones out there. So I went ahead and ordered it. It's suppose to be good for all skin types too. I guess you're suppose to wash with the soap and then just use pure unrefined shea butter as a moisturizer. It sounds like a promising product. We'll see how it goes when it arrives in a week.

Last edited by budholls; 06-10-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
(female)

sapphire99 HB User

Hey, what was the name of the moisturizer you are using? I have always read that shea butter and coco butter could make your acne worse, but lately I have been hearing success stories about them! Also I just realized that my favorite mask has shea butter in it and it works well with my oily acne prone skin.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

budholls HB User

Hey, the moisturizer I'm using is by Mineral Basics and it's called Luscious Lotion "Whipped Shea Butter Delight". You only need to put a tad bit on -- too much you'll look like a grease ball! It may appear greasy at first, but within ten minutes it just absorbs into your skin.

I'm actually using quite a few of their natural products and I'm loving their clay mask and their natural exfoliating scrub (it has the most incredible smell...ever!!!). I wasn't crazy about their mineral makeup though so I looked for something else. [ REMOVED ] I'm loving those three products that I just mentioned. It's a nice start too if you are thinking of a more natural approach. I use those products and Carley's and I'm really happy with how my skin has improved and cleared up.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-10-2006 at 11:52 AM. Reason: please do not post any kind of information to find websites whether or not you personally benefit

Old 06-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Inactive

Terrierlover HB User

Wow, shea butter on your face. Well, glad it is working for you, that's great. It's no nice when something natural is the answer rather than all the chemicals we plaster on ourselves!
Hope the African Black Soap works as well. If you can, post when you start using it, I'd like to know.
Good luck.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
(female)

budholls HB User

Hey! I got my black soap and shea butter yesterday and I've washed my face about three times since then. I really like it!!!

It's obviously too early to tell and since I really didn't have anymore acne before using it, it's hard to know what to expect. However, it's really tingly, but it doesn't sting at all. It cleans amazingly well and it wasn't drying. I think it actually brighten up my complexion after the my first wash. No break out or anything. I also like the smell -- very natural smelling! I stopped using Carley's to see how effective it actually is. I bought my soap and shea butter from Nasabb and the delivery was ridiculously fast. The soap is not black at all! From the pictures, I was expecting it to be a really dark dark brown, but it actually looks more caramel in colour. It gets a little darker though once you start using it. Weird. It didn't strip my skin which is a little surprising because it's tingly and it cleans so well. I moisturize with the unrefined shea butter after I wash and my face feels balance all day long. So far I'm liking it a lot! Again, it's been only a day and a half, so take this with a grain of salt. Hehe.

I also ordered their Honey Oatmeal Soap because I was looking for a natural body wash or soap and I absolutely could say I LOVE it.

I'm not ready to say I love the black soap yet because it's tingly and it's fine everywhere on my face except it's a little more so on the lids of eyes. So I can see how it could be a little irritating to those with super sensitive skin or existing acne. I really love Carley's soap and it never irritated the lids of my eyes. Carley's soap also cleans well, but the black soap cleans better I think. It also leaves you with a brighter complexion. So right now, I'm sticking to the black soap. We'll see how it goes...

Last edited by budholls; 06-12-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Closed Thread