It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2003, 11:40 PM   #1
Inactive

Kwok Wui Tang HB User
Post Connection between FISH OIL and ACNE

Any of you acne sufferers taking fish oil? Does it aggravate or improve your acne problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 04:16 AM   #2
Inactive

Phil446 HB User
you guess is as good as mine...and what about vitamin e?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 07:16 AM   #3

MomToBe11/11/03 HB User
Lightbulb

I've been taking the Dr Sears fish oil since January. I am now 4 & 1/2 months pregnant and have had no acne at all. My skin is better than ever at a time when hormones should be making it go crazy. it's expensive but worth it.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #4

peridote HB User
Hi! I don't know how your body operates during pregnancy, but the fish oil might have nothing to do with your acne clearing up. I've had two babies and my acne ALWAYS cleared right up around 4-5 months of pregnancy... It began to came back full force after I was completely through breastfeeding. The hormones help the complexion of some women and screw up the complexion of others, I guess!

Now, I use Mary Kay Acne Treatment Gel (I posted about it just this morning "Save $$ - Clear It Up!) and I've been clear for over 6 months - without pregnancy.

Old 06-06-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User
Yes yes yes =)

Essential Fatty Acids, which are found in fish oils and flax seed, black current seed, etc do help some with acne. There's an Accutane/Insulin/Food post on here where someone explained this more fully than I. However, this is the #1 supplement in an acne book that I own. I've heard DOZENS of testimonies to this helping to clear acne, improve brain functioning, irritable bowel syndrome, and just provide the right amount of moisture to your skin.

The reason it does this is because they increase prostaglandins. There are good ones and bad ones (menstrual cramps). Now these prostaglandins are our body's hormone balancers. When you shop, you want to find Omega 3s or a blend of Omega3-6-9, but most Westerners are deficient in omega 3. If you can't convert grains & seeds into the right EFAs taking fish oils (or eating cold water fish) is the best thing you can do, since they are already converted for you. Plus they will balance your Insulin Levels and Decrease Inflammation, all of which is why it helps with acne.

Old 06-06-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
I can't take any oil supplements orally without getting zits.Even on Spironolactone,I can eat anything but if I swallow even one,fish oil,flax,evening primrose, Vitamin E ,or ANY oil supplement I will get a zit even while taking Spironolactone.Wonder why??? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 06-06-2003, 06:12 PM   #7

chemicaldreamer HB User
This is a wild guess... but take a look at the numbers and see if it contains any iodine. Iodine is a source of acne for many, so if your fish oil contains high levels of iodine, that could be the cause of it.

Old 06-06-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
i started taking it 2 weeks ago, along with milk thistle and flaxseed oil, i have seen improvement

Old 06-06-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
yes! beware of iodine, it is NO GOOD. use flaxseed instead.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:27 PM   #10

bk13 HB User
Eating fresh or can salmon is rich in omega 3 and dmae. It's very good for the skin.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:15 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I don't suffer from skin blemishes but after taking cod liver oil (one a day in capsule form) my skin became so much more greasier and began to get very tiny pimples breaking out over my face, neck, chest and shoulders. It just spread everywhere like a rash, so i stopped immediately and now i'm fine.

I'm not sure why that happened, as i've taken various other types of fish oils in the past and i was ok. Maybe it was due to me taking the fish oil religiously this time, whereas other times i'd forget and just take a capsule every 2nd or 3rd day. The other factor might be that one brand i purchased said it contained "fish oils" and the brand which made me break out specifically stated that it contained "cod liver oil".

Old 06-06-2003, 10:09 PM   #12

tariel HB User
What kind of fish oil in specific?

I've been taking cod liver oil for the Vit A benefit, and so far, it's not too bad. Helps to keep other stuff away too, like the common cold and such.

Old 06-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I'm not certain what type of fish oil, but one bottle specifically states cod liver oil, whereas the other bottle stated natural fish oil - omega 3 marine triglycerides. What i am certain of is that the cod liver oil did make me break out badly and it actually scared me as i have clear skin and i hadn't changed anything else in my diet and i don't wear make up and it can't be from body or facial moisturisers either as the break out would have continued, but stopped a short while after i fully stopped the cod liver oil.

The only possible reason i could give was that i was taking a slow release multi vitamin at the same time.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:31 PM   #14

js429 HB User
Hi, I'm new to the board and found this in hopes to get some good advice. I suffer from sebaceous cysts on my face and i get the outbreak every so often, and when it comes to a head, its not a good site. I've been to over 7 dermatologists and plastic surgeons and no one has an answer. They put me on ann antibiotic but I just broke out with another painful cysts, which may be connected to acne. So here's my question: I read somewhere that black currant oil is good for acne. Yet I talked to my pharmacist and he swears by Fish Oil. Is it okay to take the Fish Oil and the Black Current Oil together, along with Vitamin E?? Or should I just stick with the Fish Oil and cross my fingers! Thanks

Old 06-17-2003, 10:56 PM   #15

js429 HB User
Also, to add, to those that have had their acne clear up due to fish oil, how long did it take until you saw a noticible difference, and what was the fish oil strength? I am starting 1000 mg 3 times every day. Thanks!

Closed Thread