It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User
whats the deal with oil?

My dermatologist has always emphasized the importance of my products being "oil-free" so as to make sure pores don't get clogged. But I've noticed on this board that people are using products with jojoba oil, tea tree oil, and other oils, to fight acne. So, it seems that not ALL oils are bad for acne... Is that the case? How can this be? Why does the dermatologist place such a big deal on oil-free, if clearly there are some oils that are not harmful?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
(female)

haileysheets HB User
Re: whats the deal with oil?

That is a great question! I hope someone responds.

Another weird thing: I always see people on here saying to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize--and my dermotologist told me NOT to moisturize--that my skin already has too much oil. Very strange!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

babygurl77 HB User

i dont know much about the oils that people have used...but it is important to moisturize...even if you have oily skin...if you dont moisturize your skin will become dry and go into overdrive, which will then produce more oil, which then leads to more breakouts...it sounds confusing but i think its important...i had a derm tell me not to moisturize...maybe its just their way of keeping in business...cuz as long as we have acne, they get a pay cheque...ive had my fair share of horrible derms, and im still not happy with the one i have presently...
some derms dont give a damn about us acne sufferers and just keeping throwing us useless meds just so we keep coming back and giving them money...
all in all, its important to moisturize, no matter what your skin condition is
hope that helps...sorry if it came off harsh, im just so fed up with drs these days....
cheers

Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Inactive

lindanm HB User

The surface of your skin can be dry while your pores keep producing oil.

They do make oil absorbing moisturizers now in addition to oil free. Biore has one. I used to use one by clearasil that I loved, but they discontinued it. Of course, they'll never have sunscreen or AHAs, BHAs or any other good stuff. But we are lucky they finally started putting sunscreen in oil-free things.

I can't say about using the oils on oily skin, because I never tried it when my skin was oily. Between the supplements and diet changes I learned to do here on this board, my skin isn't oily anymore. But apparently massaging oil into areas with black heads will help work them out.

Make sure it's a good non-comodegenic oil though. I have jojoba but couldn't bring myself to put it on my face. Some do, but I found it too thick and sticky. I use camellia and am looking into Rosehip oil.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
(male)

kHan artist HB User

Heres what I know... Both Camellia Oil and Jojoba oil are almost exactly like the natural oils in our skin. The theory goes that like dissolves like and that giving oil to our skin not only dissolves sebum but that our skin will be producing less oil as result of it. This IS NOT true with all oils and mineral oils and oils that are in cosmetic products are most LIKELY not good for your skin.

I have to say that MOISTURIZATION is so important from my experience. My derm also told me not to moisturize...but boy he was so wrong and led me astray. For the 11+ years, I never moisturized and thats why my skin never improved (except on accutane). But in the past few months that Ive been moisturizing, my skin looks LESS IRRITATED and more balanced, even toned, soft and healthier. And since using camellia oil - my skin is reaching a level i haven't experienced since the 2 months following accutane. Knock on wood, So far my skin is loving it minus the expected initial breakout.

Moisturization is ONE of the main things i've been doing different and my skin is finally improving. I don't know why derms tell you not to moisturize...they obviously really don't know much about skin care which makes me question if i really want to become a derm myself anymore.

I think its important to follow common sense, good skin care habits like gentle cleansing, exfoliation, and moisturization not matter what skin type you are.

Last edited by kHan artist; 06-15-2006 at 12:01 PM. Reason: all my posts are edited because i make too many spelling and grammatical errors

Old 06-16-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
(male)

beatboxkid HB User
Talking Re: whats the deal with oil?

how can oil actually be bad for you're skin? I mean if you were relying on mother nature what else would you use to look after you're skin?

most moustrisers contain natural mineral oils anyhows, they just fill them with other crap two, god knows what half the crap is in it???? apparently a lot of moustrisers use animal fat/oil because its cheaper to make there products with

anyhows I have decided to go natural again, and just use stuff that isnt harsh to my skin. I am going to wash with the original pears soap wich is meant to be completley mad of natural products, and will moustrise with a olive oil mixed with tea tree oil, I mixed about 50ml teatree oil to 170ml olive oil ( should of meausred it excatly really, but just poured it in ) I will also exfoliate about once a month using a micro dermabrassion cloth. oh and should of mrntioned will use the soap and oil and my face/neck and body. I will keep this routine up for at least one month!!!

regards beatbox kid

Old 06-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

haileysheets HB User

I just want to add that NOT moisturizing has actually helped me improve my acne. I can see why it's important if your skin is dry, but I am on heavy duty prescription products (supposed to dry out your face very bad), and my skin is still super oily and moisturized. I think the excess moisture I was getting from using a moisturizer (it was even an oil-free one) was causing me the problems. So, I will say that if your face is EXTREMELY oily like mine, you can probably skip the moisturizer unless you start to notice some drying.

I do still use an eye moisturizer because I am starting to get some lines there.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #8
(male)

kHan artist HB User

excellent point, i think people with very oily skin as in your case should avoid OTC cosmetic moisturizers and can usually skip moisturization unless they experience any type of drying.
however, some people with oily skin have found that camellia/jojoba oils decrease the amount oil on their skin so sebum production is signficantly reduced. less oil may lead to less acne, so these oils may benefit your skin.

However, i must add that I found some acne medications made me produce lots of oil (e.g. retin-a) and made me think i had oily skin when in fact they were actually too drying turning my sebaceous glands into overdrive.

Main point - listen to what your skin tells you.

Last edited by kHan artist; 06-16-2006 at 05:47 PM.

Closed Thread