It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
(male)

jason02 HB User
If acne comes from "western diet", how come it existed thousands of years ago?

from wikopedia...

"Timeline of acne treatment

The history of acne reaches back to the dawn of recorded history. In Ancient Egypt, it is recorded that several pharaohs were acne sufferers. From Ancient Greece, comes the English word 'acne' (meaning 'point' or 'peak'). Acne treatments are also of considerable antiquity:

* Ancient Rome : bathing in hot, and often sulfurous, mineral water was one of the few available acne treatments. One of the earliest texts to mention skin problems is De Medicina by the Roman writer Celsus.
* 1800s: Nineteenth century dermatologists used sulfur in the treatment of acne. It was believed to dry the skin.
* 1930s: laxatives were used as a cure for what were known as 'chastity pimples'
* 1950s: When antibiotics became available, it was discovered that they had beneficial effects on acne. They were taken orally to begin with. Topical antibiotics became available later.
* 1960s: Vitamin A acid and Retin A were found effective for acne. This led to the development of isotretinoin sold as Accutane and Roaccutane in the 1980's.
* 1990s: Laser treatment introduced

Some old treatments, like laxatives, have fallen into disuse but others, like spas, are recovering their popularity."

Old 06-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Inactive

lindanm HB User
Re: If acne comes from "western diet", how come it existed thousands of years ago?

It's also a hormone inbalance caused by excess testosterone. Which can be triggered and worsened by high glycemic foods, but some teenagers are still going to get regardless of their diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
(male)

jason02 HB User
Re: If acne comes from "western diet", how come it existed thousands of years ago?

thats exactly my point....i feel that acne may be triggered or made worse by certain foods, but the root cause of it is genetic.

if youre predisposed to get youre going to get it, no matter what. there is no way to say what people ate ten thousand years ago..

why cant we just accept the fact that people had acne thousands of years ago? acne is a bateria, which thirves in clogged pores.

bacteria has existed for millions of years so the fact that the acne bacteria existed years ago seems logical.

what you eat doesnt all of a sudden make the bacteria dissapear or reappear. like i said, it may trigger or aggrevate the skin, but its not the root cause of acne.

Closed Thread