It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
(male)

nettels HB User
Cool prednisone and acne

I was put on prednisone for another aliment, but it has cleared up my neck and jawline quite well.

I have done some reading about prednisone to treat acne, but wanted to know if anyone had talked to their derm about it?

I'm on a low dose 25mg a day and will slowly be taken of it over the next two months. I have read that your acne can come back once you go off it, but I didin't know if you could take a small dose 5mg a day to see if that helps keep it in remission.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User
Re: prednisone and acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettels
I was put on prednisone for another aliment, but it has cleared up my neck and jawline quite well.

I have done some reading about prednisone to treat acne, but wanted to know if anyone had talked to their derm about it?

I'm on a low dose 25mg a day and will slowly be taken of it over the next two months. I have read that your acne can come back once you go off it, but I didin't know if you could take a small dose 5mg a day to see if that helps keep it in remission.

Thanks for your time.
I think there are better ways of keeping acne in remission. My daughter has taken prednisone in short bursts from time to time to calm a stubborn breakout. It's known as the "prom drug" because it does take down inflamation fast. The last time she got it the doctor was very careful to discuss recent facts about it though. Apparently it has been linked to causing brittle bone problems and hip fractures. It also can cause facial hair growth in females.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
(female)

omalll HB User

I had to take 40mg of prednisone a day for 5 days (I had a bad allergic reaction) and consequently my skin cleared up SO well. Until I stopped taking it. Then I had THE WORST breakout of my life.
Being on prednisone has such bad side effects.. among the others listed by the person above, it can cause diabetes, glaucoma, weight gain, appitite increase, sleeplessness (the list goes on)... with long-term use.
To me, it simply isnt worth it for moderate acne. If you have severe acne and everything a derm has suggested has failed, then maybe it should be an option.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
(female)

Erica in IL HB User

Prednisone is an anti-inflammatory and is meant to reduce swelling. It's not meant to clear up the skin.

Knowing the side effects of both Prednisone and Accutane, I'd take the Accutane in a heartbeat by comparison. Both have some nasty side effects but Prednisone IMO much worse.

Closed Thread