It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
(male)

kulashaker HB User
Hormonal Acne - Testosterone in men

Hi

Someone suggested my acne may be testosterone/hormonal driven. I am in my late twenties and suffer from depression and acne. I do get quite angry as well.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I might take for this?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Inactive

lindanm HB User
Re: Hormonal Acne - Testosterone in men

Yes. Zinc, Saw Palmetto, Nettle Leaf, low carb diets, fiber, probiotics, Omega 3s, and exercize.

My once grotesquely oily skin is not oily at all anymore due to these things. It happened in stages as I discovered and started doing these things, but it happened within about one year. I'm 41 now and so wish I'd known this before. I'd always been told the diet thing was a myth.

If you do a search, you'll find lots of discussions on these things to reduce oil production. A lot of people were taking B5 capsules to reduce oiliness but I haven't heard that mentioned in a while.

I'll expand on this, but thought I'd post this much since no one else is answering.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulashaker
Hi

Someone suggested my acne may be testosterone/hormonal driven. I am in my late twenties and suffer from depression and acne. I do get quite angry as well.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I might take for this?

Thanks
This will not contain any accurate recitation of facts and how things really work. I didn't memorize those. But this is what I've gathered in discussions here and some other sources, what I do, and what it's done for me.

SUPPLEMENTS to help balance hormones--

These don't necessarily lower testosterone levels, but block it from being used for many undesirable things, like the production of excess oil, hirsutism which is unwanted male pattern hair in women, and even male patterned baldness. Some of these are zinc, Saw Palmetto and Nettle leaf. You could also look for men's prostrate health supplements which contain saw palmetto and other things. You'll find a lot of this information if you search for the discussions on hirsutism. Even though that is a women's issue, much of the information still applies. It's the same imbalance (or close to it as women do have their varying estrogen levels to help balance the testosterone).

Lately, I've been looking into omega 3s and have come across claims that among the health benefits people usually take them for such as cholestoral it also helps to balance hormones and improve mood. I think I read some of that on the nutrition board here. I don't think I've seen that mentioned in the discussions about hormones on the acne board though.

I took Saw Palmetto and Zinc along with a multi, b-complex and lots of vitamin C for about a year and my formerly grotesquely oily skin got a lot less oily.

There is also a prescription medication called spironolactone which you'll find mentioned in the hirsutism discussions. All the people I've heard of taking it are women, but it is actually a very old high blood pressure medication and not necessarily for women at all. Also, you'll see mentions of topical spiro for male pattern baldness. I think it's in finestrae or Rogaine. I started taking spiro a month or so ago and my skin is not oily at all anymore.

DIET-

Lots of people have posted how Atkins and low carb diets have cleared their skin. Which I didn't want to buy into. I love carbs and didn't want to believe we've been eating the wrong foods since the dawn of civilization. Western civilization anyway. But it's true. For a couple of reasons. And probably many more reasons that I don't know.

1) Sugar and simple carbs, which easily turn into sugar, are the cause of so many of our health problems: Diabetes, heart disease, and acne. The sugar/glucose stimulates hormone production one of which is insulin. Another is testosterone. Cutting back on simple carbs should reduce oil production. You should try this for a period and see if it works.

Also, exercize and fiber help your body process glucose properly keeping it from causing these problems. This is why I think that the high carb diet wasn't so bad all these past centuries. We were still getting plenty of exersize and probably more fiber. Also, for this purpose, you should exercize after meals to help process the glucose as opposed to for fitness where I think they tend to recommend exercizing before meals, such as before breakfast.

Some vitamins and supplements help too. Look into things recommended for diabetics. Chromium is one. Some people even take medication, such as metformin, meant for diabetes for acne and hirsutism. Take fiber supplements when you do eat high glycemic meals like pasta.

2) Sugar/glucose also ages you and causes inflamation. This is what Dr. Perricone is all about. This inflamation is subdermal and prevents pores from exfoliating dead cells properly causing clogged pores well below the surface. There isn't anything topically you can do about that. Dairy is another inflammatory food. Some of this info is also found at smartskincare.

I cut out sodas and limiting the simple carbs in February and my skin has improved so much. I already didn't get any kind of inflamed acne on my face since starting the other supplements and reducing oil. But still got acne elsewhere--cysts on my back and blackheads on my chest and nose. That all cleared up so fast. I also have rosacea (inflammation) and have had fewer flare ups even though it is now summer and heat is one of the biggest triggers for me. Other triggers are all the inflamatory foods like sugar and dairy.

3) Sugar feeds candida (yeast) causing an imbalance in our intestines. We all have candida, but we acne sufferers especially from taking all those antibiotics dermatologists kept giving us. Candida can cause many problems including sinus problems and acne. You can buy cleanses at a drugstore or healthfood store. These contain probiotics and antifungal herbs such as garlic. I did one hoping it would help my sinuses. Which I think it did a bit, but wasn't the miracle I was hoping for. But there have been threads with people saying
that candida cleanses and diet cleared them. This is what the probiotics are for.

There have also been discussion on doing digestive cleanses which consist of taking probiotics, fiber supplements and something that absorbs toxins like Activated charcoal or bentonite clay if I remember right. One of these threads was 75 pages long. After reading it all, I came to the conclusion that while the cleanse might help, in the long run it was the fiber and probiotics that helped. Also you shouldn't take the charcoal for long as it absorbs nutrients as well and I've read that bentonite clay is what is in clumping kitty litter and some say that is poisonous to us and the cats.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-18-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
(male)

primo1 HB User

great post lindamm! definitely worth considering.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

Ruthy HB User

lindamm- Your post was very interesting -- I especially appreciate the info on diet, because I really think diet is important.

I am curious, you are the first male that I have read a post about taking spiro. Did a doctor prescribe? I just must be misinformed, but I thought men could not take spiro. I'm asking for my son that battles acne, but presently is clearing -- thank goodness. Thanks again for the info.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Inactive

lindanm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthy
lindamm- Your post was very interesting -- I especially appreciate the info on diet, because I really think diet is important.

I am curious, you are the first male that I have read a post about taking spiro. Did a doctor prescribe? I just must be misinformed, but I thought men could not take spiro. I'm asking for my son that battles acne, but presently is clearing -- thank goodness. Thanks again for the info.
I'm not male and I don't know of any taking spiro for this. However, Spiro is a medication for high blood pressure. It's not a medication for women.

I don't think there is any issue with suppressing a bit of testosterone in men, which isn't what spiro does anyway. It blocks it from certain uses. And it only blocks it a bit, depending on the dosage.

What males absolutely cannot take is any amount of estrogen. I've read of children developing female characteristics just from normal interraction with their mothers who were using an estrogen cream for whatever.

I gathered almost all of this information from discussions here. If you do searches on these topics, you will find people who actually know what they are talking about.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
(female)

Ruthy HB User

Sorry -- I guess the thread title confused me for some reason. Thank you for your input.

Closed Thread