It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
(male)

nicksta07 HB User
break out after shaving!!!

whenever i shave my face like the next day i have pimples where i shaved and it happens pretty mush everytime i shave.any help? and i get pimples on my forehead too...do i need to wash my face more..will that help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
(male)

jdean HB User
Re: break out after shaving!!!

are u even sure there pimples there are things as shave bumps im sure you know. and also what shaving cream or gel are you using and what razor

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
(male)

nicksta07 HB User

im pretty sure they are pimples..well some of them cuz i can pop them like regular pimples...i use mach 3 stuff. razor and gel

Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
(male)

jdean HB User

these are reasons why u prob get the bumps

shaving too closely
shaving with a blunt blade
dry shaving
applying too much pressure when shaving
shaving too fast
shaving too roughly

i have to change my blade every two days or eles it will scratch and just mess up my skin and if they are pimples i think u might need to chane ur shaving cream or gel i use avenno or whatever and i also use a womans razor ahha but theregood for sinsitvie skin

Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
(male)

Oranguman HB User

Sounds like razor burn.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:18 AM   #6
(male)

primo1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean
shaving too closely
shaving with a blunt blade
dry shaving
applying too much pressure when shaving
shaving too fast
shaving too roughly
and dont shave against the grain ever!

that helped me so much! also, make sure your facial hair is soft so you wont irritate your skin too much. doing what djean said and what i said, prevented me from getting those acne too. i also recommend aveeno therapeutic shave gel coz that's what i use and it worked amazing! and it's so, so much better than my shaving cream (gillette) before! i think your fine with your mach 3 razor coz that's what i use too. HTH!

Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo1
and dont shave against the grain ever!

that helped me so much! also, make sure your facial hair is soft so you wont irritate your skin too much. doing what djean said and what i said, prevented me from getting those acne too. i also recommend aveeno therapeutic shave gel coz that's what i use and it worked amazing! and it's so, so much better than my shaving cream (gillette) before! i think your fine with your mach 3 razor coz that's what i use too. HTH!
I'm going to get that for my 14yo son. His chin is a mess. He takes Doryx once a day and uses taxarac or duac. thanks!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
(male)

VGN HB User

As well as everything that's already been said, also make sure you moisturize after shaving with something suited to your skin (the brands are different over here, so I can't really recommend anything.. just make sure it's oil/alcohol free at the very least).

Old 08-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
(male)

doglover HB User

I used to (and still occassionaly do) have that issue. The bumps look and feel like acne, but it is an ingrown hair. I still spend time plucking them from my face, but if you do what I do, it will greatly improve your situation. My dad never taught me to shave, so I had to teach and learn it myself. It took me until I was about 32 or so to actually learn to shave properly.

1. Get rid of the Mach 3. It does TOO GOOD of a job. Ignore the commercials, and do not get such a close shave.

I use the regular Gillete razor and can tell when it is time to change my blade becuase I will get a bump or more on my face.

2. Buy and Use Aveeno shaving cream. There are two of them that I know of. You HAVE to use the one with the light blue top. If you use the dark blue top, it will not change a thing. Use the light/baby blue top (repeated because most guys go for the dark blue thinking it is more manly). The light blue has soy which makes a HUGE difference.

3. Shave in the shower. Buy a fogless mirror. It makes a HUGE difference. It is the last thing I do in the shower. If that is not possible (I cannot imagine why it would be impossible, but who knows), shave immediately after your shower. Do not open the door as you want it still hot and steamy in there when you do it.

4. Rinse your razor after every 1-2 strokes on your face.

5. Only shave an area using 1 or 2 strokes, NO MORE.

6. You HAVE to shave with the grain (the way the hair grows). On my face, I shave below my nose first (shave down towards mouth) on the sides of the mouth as well, then under my mouth to chin. The next area is to the sides under my mouth. I go about 1" or so to the side. Then I go from my side of my face (top of ear, bottom of my sideburn), down to my jaw line. SDo that on both sides. Next, move to my neck area. In the middle of my neck, I shave from top to bottom (vertical). I use about two blades width (or less), and stop about 1-2" from my chin. Then I shave from the middle to the out side of my neck (horizontal, both sides), up to about 1/4" from my jaw line. Then I shave my chin down where I left the hair (so about 1-2"). Last, I shave down from my jawline (on the sides) for the 1/4" strip I left earlier.

7. You can feel your face to see if you missed any part. Often, I will leave it if I missed a section, as it is not that big of a deal.

8. I am the worst person about digging out any hairs that become ingrown. I will leave a pit in my neck to get the hair out. I just hate the way they look. I know I should not do that, but I cannot help it. LOL

9. After you shave, you need to get a lotion or something to help with the hairs. Noxzema has some that does an OK job, but I have had a ton of success with Bump Patrol. You have to look in the section that is especially for African-American men as most of the ingrown hair stuff is tailored and marketed towards them.

My typical problem area is my neck. As you can tell from the way I shave, my hair grows in different directions. The problem happens when a hair grows the wrong direction, I shave too hard, or I try to go over it too many times.

That pretty much sums up my shaving routine.

Please try those and let me know how it goes.

If you do all of those steps (including freeing the ingrown hairs), you will see immediate results. Within 3 days or so, you will no longer have those bumps and such.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:10 AM   #10
(male)

DaOutlaw HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover
1. Get rid of the Mach 3. It does TOO GOOD of a job. Ignore the commercials, and do not get such a close shave .
I agree; Mach 3 is too good for those with sensitive skin, such as myself. I've also used Braun's electrical shaver, but that too, caused me great irritation because the self-cleaning system uses an alcohol solution. I still maintain that single blade razors are the best. The less, the better, in my opinion.

Quote:
2. Buy and Use Aveeno shaving cream. There are two of them that I know of. You HAVE to use the one with the light blue top. If you use the dark blue top, it will not change a thing. Use the light/baby blue top (repeated because most guys go for the dark blue thinking it is more manly). The light blue has soy which makes a HUGE difference.
I like Aveeno's line of shaving cream and I'd have to agree again. I use Aveeno Positively Smooth Shaving Gel, and it's very natural with a pleasant scent.

Shaving against the grain isn't recommended, but it is okay to shave sideways, right? There's no tugging effect shaving sideways and it provides the closeness of shaving against the grain.

Last edited by DaOutlaw; 08-12-2006 at 02:11 AM.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:13 AM   #11
(male)

doglover HB User

Quote:
Shaving against the grain isn't recommended, but it is okay to shave sideways, right?
I am not sure about the sideway shaving. My hair actually seems to grow in that direction. On the sides of my neck, the hair grows sideways and goes away fro the center of my neck.

So although I am shaving sideways, I am shaving with the grain.

Last edited by doglover; 08-12-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Closed Thread