It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

cwaigy HB User
B5 & Accutane - My Theory - Inhibit Biotin = Less Acne

I used to megadose B5 to control my acne and oily skin. I was on it off and on for around 4 years and found it to be very good, so good in fact that I'd go as far as to call it a cure as it completely stopped my sebum production on my skin.

Two side effects occured though, an increase in sensitivity to heat and therefore sweating and hair loss. I tried combatting these by adding a B complex but to my horrow my oily skin and acne returned whenever I started taking a B complex! I quickly dropped the B complex and my skin gradually returned to normal, so I started looked for an alternative.

I thought I'd try dosing the B vitamins individually with the B5 to see which one caused the oily skin to return. I started with Biotin as it's been said to help hair loss. A few days after taking Biotin my oily skin and acne returned once more!

In the end I just continued megadosing B5 until a hot summer took it's toll on my temperature sensitivity and sweating and I stopped taking B5 altogether.

When my acne returned I tried experimenting with Soy, Green Tea, etc but with little success so I've finally turned to Accutane to try and control my oily skin and acne. It's only been a few days but hopefully it will work as well as the B5 did without the same side effects.

------------------------------------------

So based upon the above information, my theory ... Generally it's not really understood exactly how Accutane stops oil production, and likewise how B5 does the same. There was the initial study done by Dr. Leung on B5 but there's been nothing since, and even with Accutane there isn't really anything conclusive as to how it works.

What I am interested in is that I've researched that B5 can result in Biotin uptake from the intestines being blocked, so basically you'll become deficient in Biotin when megadosing B5. I was also interested to read that, while Accutane does not lower Biotin levels, it inhibits the body's ability to use Biotin.

[url]www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-biotin.html[/url]

"Pantothenic acid: High-doses of pantothenic acid can lead to malabsorption of biotin in the gut, and can lower levels of biotin in the body."

"Isotretinoin (Accutane): May reduce biotinidase activity. It is not clear if biotin supplementation may be warranted during chronic use."

It is therefore my theory that both B5 and Accutane reduce sebum production due to their lowering or inhibition of Biotin in the body. This theory is in part backed up with my experience where when taking B5 and I added Biotin supplements to my regime my oily skin and acne returned.

[url]http://en.****pedia.org/****/Biotin[/url]

"Initial symptoms of biotin deficiency include:
1.Dry skin"

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 08-12-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
(male)

cwaigy HB User
Re: B5 & Accutane - My Theory - Inhibit Biotin = Less Acne

Has anyone got any comments regarding this? I started a similar thread on Acne . org and it's a slow start but there is some interest in this theory. To add further weight to this theory, Raw Egg White contains a chemical called Avidin which when uncooked binds to Biotin rendering it inactive. One of the common side effects of consuming too many Raw Egg Whites (mainly done by people weight training as a source of protein) is that they can suffer with dry skin.

This to me reinforces a Biotin reduction / Sebum reduction link. Also Accutane and B5 both have been said to cause hair loss, another side effect of Biotin deficiency.

Cheers
Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 09-24-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
(male)

cwaigy HB User

Any comments?

Old 09-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
(male)

xjustsaymaybex HB User

I have a couple of questions.
What kind of dose of B5 did you take?
and is loss of hair a common side effect of taking B5 or does it only happen in select cases?

Thanks for any information.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
(male)

cwaigy HB User

I took 10g a day for around 6 months and lowered to around 8g for a further 12 months after that and it kept my skin oil free during that time unless I tried adding any supplement containing Biotin.

I've seen a lot of posts complaining about hair loss on B5. I've got some theories for it. One is that if B5 does cause a Biotin deficiency then that in itself has been linked to hair loss.

The hair loss could also be due to an increase in androgen hormones by stimulating the adrenal glands, or alternatively because DHT can no longer bind to the sebaceous glands as they've been shrunk by the lack of Biotin there is more DHT left to bind to the hair follicles.

Cheers
Craig

Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
(male)

xjustsaymaybex HB User

I was reading up on B5 and it's said that it helps maintain hair color and helps prevent hair loss.
Is it just certain people that experience hair loss from taking large doses of it?

Old 09-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
(female)

jstin HB User
Question Re: B5 & Accutane - My Theory - Inhibit Biotin = Less Acne

Just wondering, but if the egg whites reduce biotin usage and dries up the skin. Why not just eat an egg white or two every morning?

Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
(male)

reygie HB User

I tried B5 vitamins for my acne but there is a side effect for me like diarrhea so i stop it, it worked for a while but when I stop it my acne became worse again. I tried herbal products I saw in the internet like Combination of burdock, dandelion etc. It also work as long as I take it but when I stop taking herbs , my acne also comes back. I noticed also that when I have sexual activity like masturbating, my acne worsens, so can I take Vitex chaste tree before I masturbate? I'm in my forty's now but I still have acne.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
(male)

liquidfirex HB User

I am in the same boat, i've lost a lot of hair and continue to.

In another thread someone tried taking arginine with some success, so I am now trying it at 6 g a day.

Also b5 also suppresses cysteine apparently, so I am also taking NAC. Cysteine is also required to make COA, along with b5 and ATP (which i take creatine to boost).

At this point nothing seems to be helping, but I only started tje NAC and Arg. 2 weeks ago so i'm hoping.

I've also tried rogain 2% and it helped a very little. At this point i'm looking into propecia, but the sides are scaring me. So I may just try 5% rogain.

Having said all that, i've been searching for an active thread on this subject for over a year now. Lots of people have been experiencing this, but there is no cnetral location for everyone to share input. :/

Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
(male)

vita77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaigy View Post
I took 10g a day for around 6 months and lowered to around 8g for a further 12 months after that and it kept my skin oil free during that time unless I tried adding any supplement containing Biotin.

I've seen a lot of posts complaining about hair loss on B5. I've got some theories for it. One is that if B5 does cause a Biotin deficiency then that in itself has been linked to hair loss.

The hair loss could also be due to an increase in androgen hormones by stimulating the adrenal glands, or alternatively because DHT can no longer bind to the sebaceous glands as they've been shrunk by the lack of Biotin there is more DHT left to bind to the hair follicles.

Cheers
Craig
Cwaigy,

What brand of b5 did you take?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnetelles View Post
Just wondering, but if the egg whites reduce biotin usage and dries up the skin. Why not just eat an egg white or two every morning?
I was doing that lately, actually - completely unconsciously... just because I started to like eggs recently (egg whites in particular; for my weight training) - and I started noticing that lately my skin has been becoming more and more dry (in the very negative sense of 'dry' - as in annoying, and just not the generally healthy type of dry).

And now, another thing... according to cwaigy's theory - increased biotin causes excessive oil production - and since I'm taking a multivitamin that has quite a lot of biotin in it, I have actually noticed that my face has been really oily lately!

So OMG! Basically now, if I cut down on the daily egg whites and get a new multivitamin that does NOT contain biotin - then technically my skin should normalize again (won't be so dry and won't be so oily). And of course, still stick to my strict acne eliminating diet. Eureka my friend.

And this thread, once again, REINFORCES the FACT that DIET IS THE CURE.

Last edited by ctrl-alt-del; 06-13-2007 at 11:43 PM.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #12
(male)

deadhead85 HB User

this may be a dumb question but i know you are not to use scrubs while on accutane because u can damage/scar your face. would this be the same with b5?? i ask because i read that megadosing on b5 shrinks your pores and i thought maybe it could make the skin sensitive and prone to scaring like with accutane.

Last edited by deadhead85; 09-13-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Closed Thread