It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

ash8752 HB User
New here...Doxy and more

Hi- I am 24 and have had mild-moderate acne all my life i guess and i am just sick of it! I went to the derm and he prescribed me doxy, retin a creme (generic), a face wash and another topical i put on once in the morning. I have used all the topicals and the wash once and they seem very gentle which is great. IN about 10 minutes i will take my first Doxy pill. Can anyone just kind of tell me there expieriences on this? Has anyone used this many products at once?

I am just basically looking of any stories good or bad to get a feel for what to expect.

THANKS A BUNCH!!
ACNE SUCKS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

babygirl2005_21 HB User
Re: New here...Doxy and more

Oh man you are about to start down the road to recovery. Well I will just let you know that you will have an intial breakout. Be very gentle with the topicals as well. The intial breakout was the worst experience I have ever had. It happened about 1 month into treatment and then I had clear skin for almost 2 years. The only bad thing is I had to get off Doxy. because I kept getting yeast infections so now I think my acne is coming back. I am 22 and I was prescribed at 20. I am still using differin and klaron as topicals. I take Yasmin for birth control as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

ash8752 HB User

Thanks for the reply.

As for topicals, they seem really gentle, as does the face wash which is great! The doctor didnt seem to think i'd break out much because of all the stuff he prescribed me but he did see it can take 3 weeks to notice a difference.

I am on the depo shot for bc and love it. And it is progestrone only so its effects shouldnt weaken due to the doxy!

Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
(female)

ash8752 HB User
Red face Re: New here...Doxy and more

Oh yeah! I have only taken one pill so far which was this morning and I am taking another later...3 hours after i took the pill i have been mildly itchy with no rash, hives, just a bit itchy like on my hips, back and various places. Does this sound like it could be an allergic reaction? Or has anyone else expierienced something like this?

Old 08-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

BellaPc HB User

I have been on doxy for four weeks now and I dunno if I am still experiencing the initial break out but its horrible!! next week will be my fifth week and in a month from now I am going to be going on acccutane anyways but I still wanted to give this atleast 2 months to work but soo far nothing my face just gets worse and worse and worse but I am praying I will see some improvement in my face before I start the accutane...?? So I dunno if this break out is the doxycycline or I switched my birth control a month before starting doxycycline and was breaking out then too but not as bad as now?? but my derm said I should switch my birth control to Yasmin he said its the best for acne the one I am on now is desogen and he said its good for acne but no "the best" sooo tomorrow I am going to the gyno and getting yasmin sooo we'll see how it goes just be prepared ur face could get worse before better but give it at least 2 months I guess thats what I am doing :-)

Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
(female)

ash8752 HB User

Hey Bella- I hope your skin clears up. It is so stressful especially when we sit here and put all these pills in out bodies! I am hoping that with the wash, gel and retin-a my skin might not have an innitial bad break out. Hopefully it will just get better ya know! Are you using anything else besides the Doxy and bc?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
(female)

BellaPc HB User

K this is what I am currently doing Taking doxycycline 100mg twice a day washing morning and night with Ovace face wash perscribed by my derm it is a 10% Sodium Sulfacetamide wash and finally twice a day applying benzaclin. Then on top of that taking desogen (bcp) but I just finished my last pill back of desogen and I am getting yasmin today and starting it sunday and he said the yasmin should help? I hope soo I go back to school monday and i'm in my jr year of college and my face looks worse then it has ever been and I am forced to wear makeup for the first time in my life and I dread it :-( I'm soo not a makeup girl never in my life I have ever needed cover up foundation the breakouts I would get would be mild but persistant I've been seeing the derm since 8th grade on and off due to all the breakouts then this past june my face went crazy! So I am just going to continue counting down the days until I get my first perscription of accutane :-) cover up can only do soo much...

Old 08-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #8
(female)

ash8752 HB User

I am the same way. I dont wear makeup. BUT if you have to i recommend something like bare minerals or whatever it is called. I guess it works wonders and is so light and unnoticable. My friend uses it and she will never go back to liquid or anything else. It's the stuff on the infomercials.

I am currently on Doxycycline 100mg 2x a day, then he prescribed a wash for me to use in the morning and after work, then a gel for the morning (to apply to active areas) and retin-a at night. So far they all seem gentle on my skin which is good. I HOPE IT WORKS!!! I am 24 and find this all so embarassing!!!

I hope the bc switch helps you, but be aware, that if it is for sex protection too it will weaken the effects.

I am on the depoprovera shot. Love it!

Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
(female)

BellaPc HB User

Yea I am 20 soon to be turning 21 and everything has been downhill for me so I start Yasmin this sunday sooo I will let you know how it goes.... and how the doxy is working... Good Luck with everything

Closed Thread