It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 09:23 AM   #1

BlueGreen HB User
Post Breakthrough bleeding, acne and other delights

When I was younger I had very minimal acne, but I was always really worried about it, so every time a new bc pill came out that claimed to be better for your skin, I would switch to it. I tried marvelon and that made me bleed so then I switched to tricyclen which eventually made me bleed too. Then I switched to the monophasic version of that pill and still I bled. (By bleeding I mean a period in excess of two weeks). Then I switched to one which the name I cannot remember but it had a big red flower on the front. That is when things got really bad. My derm told me to try diane 35 and I would say that my skin got a little better, but it was never back to how it was before. And I still kept bleeding. Sometimes the bleeding was worse than other times but I have not had a period shorter than ten days for many years. I went to a gyn and he perscribed me extra estrogen. I tried this for five months and still, no let up in the bleeding, so i stopped because i hear that taking estrogen increases your chances of certain types of cancer and it didn't seem worth the risk for the results I was getting. I am afriad to go off the diane and so far as I know there is no yasmin in canada yet. Is there any one else out there that bleeds on low dose pills and suffers from acne? What did you do? Please help.

Old 06-28-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Have you been checked for cysts?Sometimes that can cause excessive bleeding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 09:46 AM   #3

BlueGreen HB User
Thanks for the reply. I had an ultrasound appointment once but I was too scared to go, even though i know it's non invasive. I should do that, you're right. It just seems to be hormone related because I generally bleed at the same time every month, about a week before I should and it all started when the low dose pill craze started, yet I'm scared to go back on a higher dose pill because I don't want my acne to get worse. Nasty little problem I've developed for myself. My gyn recommended demulen. Has any one tried that, she said it has a very low incidence of breakthrough bleeding, but what will it do to my skin? I'm afraid to go off the diane because everyone thinks its such a miracle (especially my derm) and when I talk to her about trying something different she makes a funny face and makes comments like "do you really want to risk losing control?"(of my acne). Though I don't really feel that 'in control' anyway. But as I'm sure many of you have experienced, my skin is always on its best behaviour when my derm appointment comes around.

Closed Thread