It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User
Ever tried washing face only 1x/day?

Ive never really gotten rid of my acne completely, but my best times were when I didnt do much to my face at all. When I started messing with new products that were supposed to help your face it seemed to make it worse(I wanted absolutely no zits or blackheads, which I now think I will never have until Im older). So I stopped tying all these products (both natural and brand name) and it didnt seem to work any better. Then I just tried to remember exactly what I did before and remembered that I rarely washed it twice a day, mostly it was only once, so Ive been doing that and using the same products as before and my face has been looking a lot better, or at least I cannot see any new ones or very few new ones popping up. Anyone trying this before? You might want to see what happens, certainly cant hurt.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

waterlily HB User
Re: Ever tried washing face only 1x/day?

I very often wash my face with a cleanser 1x/day, at night. In the morning I just wash with a washcloth and lukewarm water. This seems to be working well for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

Did it seem to break you out more if you washed with cleanser twice a day? And also do you put your moisturizer and/or medication on after every time whether with cleanser or not? Thank you

Old 09-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

LadyMirabelle HB User

I once read in some beauty magazine that unless you have very oily skin, washing your face once a day is not a bad thing. If you strip your skin of its natural oils, it will go into overproduction, and cause more zits. I use a very mild cleanser in the morning -- it is more to get my skin moisturized and prepped for makeup, than for fighting acne. At night I use a more potent cleanser (still not that potent though), to remove makeup and dirt and all the gross stuff from the day. If you wash your face only once a day, it should definitely be at night. The two cleansers I use are Neutrogena Daily Facials, followed by a tinted moisturizer in the morning, and Neutrogena Rapid Clear at night. I also use a Clinique toner and and Neutrogena Healthy Skin moisturizer at night. That's really all I do for my skin, and before I started the current birth control pill I am on, which has caused a couple of bad zits, my skin was essentially clear all the time. I got a couple of blackheads occasionally, but that was it.

I, too, think that the harsher prodcuts are unnecessary and often aggravate the skin more than help it...

Old 09-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
(female)

marshmello HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ever tried washing face only 1x/day?

I found it pretty ironic to see this thread because just recently (past couple weeks) I decided to store away all of my acne fighting products and just stick to the basics to see what would happen. I wash my face in the morning with a warm washcloth (no soap) then I use Olay Daily Facial cloths in the evenings. My moisturizer is plain ol' Olay facial lotion. Low and behold, most of my acne cleared right up. I guess all the exfoliating, harsh cleansers, masks and salicylic acid made my skin irritated. I guess sometimes simple and basic is the key.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
(male)

acoolbreeze HB User

Hi guys.
How's this method working now?
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. I've tried all sorts of products over the years, and although it keeps my acne from getting worse, it just creates more redness.
I'm thinking of just washing it with a washcloth once or twice a day and maybe something like Cetaphil at night.
Any further suggestions?

Cheers.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:45 PM   #7
(male)

GJ777 HB User

Well, my hypothetical question is this: What kind of environment are you living in where you need to wash your face in the evening and then again in the morning? That has never made any sense to me. Unless you're using overnight products, I can't understand how your face could acquire so much dirt while sleeping that you need to wash it again in the morning.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #8
(female)

NinjaCowboy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ777
Unless you're using overnight products, I can't understand how your face could acquire so much dirt while sleeping that you need to wash it again in the morning.
Well, I know I get all sweaty sometimes when I'm sleeping. Or during activities immediately prior to sleeping

Also, my skin is pretty oily. So it just doesn't 'feel' clean when I wake up.

I've tried just rinsing with warm water - even tried those facial cleansing wipe thingies (like baby wipes for you face). Either way, my skin just feels oily/grimy all day if I don't wash again in the morning.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

saphire82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ777
Well, my hypothetical question is this: What kind of environment are you living in where you need to wash your face in the evening and then again in the morning? That has never made any sense to me. Unless you're using overnight products, I can't understand how your face could acquire so much dirt while sleeping that you need to wash it again in the morning.

You know, before I decided to try doing it this way I always disliked washing my face twice because I felt I was washing it too much. But did it anyways just because Ive always been told thats what your supposed to do and assumed that I would break out worse if I didnt. Well, its working out great so far, my pimples are are just healing red spots and havent noticed really any new ones, unless there are some but I cant tell because I have so many darn red spots from before. Anyways, it definately is helping. I am also using half complex 15 and half proactive clearing lotion because I thought the proactive alone was too drying.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User

You know, I noticed exactly the same thing! I've actually had less acne when I wash my face less often than when I wash it more often! Heh, I thought I was the only one. I didn't quite understand it.

Closed Thread