It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2003, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
Post Really Doesn't Matter What You Eat

Again, like all FOOD postings, it is completely up to the individual. Some might have allergies to certain foods, some disagree, etc. This is just my logical thought and also what a couple of my dermatologist's have said. With that said, here is the deal.

----------------------------

I was watching The Travel Channel and saw this 'World's Best' series where they showed different eating contests from different cities.

The eating contests included fish, jalepenos, hamburgers, eggs, and anything else you can think of that might 'cause acne' so to speak. Eating contest as in several pounds of food intake. And these people are not rookies. They have been doing this mass eating for a while.

Let me point out, there were people of all ages. Upper teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. None of these people had acne. And it isn't a commercial or an ad for them to wear makeup. These are ordinary people on a documentary type program. Nevertheless, it brings me to the point that - some people (like my friends - no matter what they eat, will not get acne. Therefore, FOOD IS NOT THE SOLE CAUSE OF A PIMPLE. It might, just might, be related in increasing your OIL or INSULIN level, but it doesn't mean you will get a pimple because the level is high.

As long as you keep your skin free of excess dead skin cells, keep the pores clean of cloggs, no matter how much OIL your skin produces, you should'nt get acne.

So - just like my DOC said - eat whatever you want - just make sure to keep the skin clean 2x per day with these three important formulas:

Salicylic Acid
Glycolic Acid
Benzoyl Peroxide

----------------------------------

People eat whatever they want. As long as you keep the external skin clean, it doesn't really matter what happens in the inside. I know people with 10 times more oil on their faces - yet no acne. It is just because they are not acne prone. Us, acne folks, must keep the external dead skin cells clean so that any OIL coming up from the glands will flow easily to the top with no interference. It is plain and logical.

Having said that - I really don't think it will be a good idea to stock up on McDonalds. Generally speaking, fast food, hot foods, and of course iodine, might have somewhat a factor in acne prone skin. Other than that, it I think everything is just fine. I just don't believe in the silly low-carb diet. It makes me laugh.

By the way - I have tried different diets. Just Protien / low-carb / high-carb / high amounts of junk food / etc. You name it. I have tried it all. As a matter of fact - I have gone up and down 20 pounds in the past half year. People are always telling me every week that I gained and/or lost weight. I tried all diets and am YET TO FIND A DIRECT RELATION WITH ACNE AND FOOD. But hey, thats just me.

It all comes down to keeping the dead skin cells clear, and the pores clear of cloggs. If those steps are done well in acne prone skin, no matter what u eat or how much sebum your skin has - it will just naturally come out with no acne.

[This message has been edited by Aaron43 (edited 06-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran

FuzzyWuzzy HB User
well I had a kit kat bar for the first time in 4 yrs yesterday and felt a pimple start to erupt 10 secs later.

[This message has been edited by FuzzyWuzzy (edited 06-11-2003).]

Old 06-11-2003, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
lol at both of u!

Old 06-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
(male)

DaOutlaw HB User
lol..a pimple doesn't form in 10 seconds..

Old 06-11-2003, 05:54 PM   #5
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Yes external skin is important, but my cysts aren't even part of my external skin, there is no way topical treatments will get down there to prevent them. I too have given up on diet as a cure, but I think there has to be some sort of inner healing aside from washes and topicals and spot treatments to keep skin clean.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:35 PM   #6
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Girlie19:
lol at both of u!
----------

So what are u 'LOL'-ing about, Girlie19, beside the Kit Kat story.

----------

By the way, yes, some zits do form very fast. Not 10 seconds, but somthing like a half hour or so.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
Smile

"As long as you keep the external skin clean, it doesn't really matter what happens in the inside."

Old 06-11-2003, 08:40 PM   #8
Veteran

Testament HB User
I disagree completely, once again, with the original poster. Sigh, instead of me repeating myself... just lookup acne-clearing diets on the internet.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:44 PM   #9
Veteran

FuzzyWuzzy HB User
I dont care what ppl say about how they claim what you eat doesnt effect your appearance at all.

I ate a lite coffee crisp choc bar yesterday and 2 mins after I was done, this zit started to form and itch. Then tonight at dinner, there were some peanuts on the table. I decided to try one, but found out they had salt on them. I spit it out. A few seconds later, my zit was getting redder and redder.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM   #10

slick33 HB User
OMG Fuzzywuzzy, you make me laugh.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:50 PM   #11

neverendacne HB User
certain foods can aggravate or worsen acne.ive heard doctors say that onions and foods rich in iodine can.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:59 PM   #12
Veteran

Aaron43 HB User
So, if FOODS DO IN FACT CAUSE ACNE, then what do you say to those people who eat anything they want (candy, peanuts, salt, chips, burgers, spices, cheese) and not get a single zit?

What causes only you to break out? You must FIND what is making YOUR skin to break out with these foods because most others dont get a zit, let alone, foods.

Why does 20 year old John Doe eat a Big Mac, a double scoop ice cream, and a Kit Kat and doesn't break out, while some of you claim that foods cause the acne.

Don't blame the food - fix the problems CAUSING the FOOD to break you out - if that is the case.

FOODS are meant to be eaten. Unless u don't die, you can eat it. Of course, unhealthy eating is not recommended, but there are always people who post that carrots, brocolli, onions, etc...('healthy' foods) are "bad for acne."

I think keeping the skin clean with a simple wash 2x per day is good enough.

If you are ACNE PRONE - then you will get acne no matter what you do or dont do, eat or dont eat. Just simple as that. You must let it run its phase. Washing 2x per day with medications will help, but I wouldnt stress on foods.

[This message has been edited by Aaron43 (edited 06-12-2003).]

Old 06-11-2003, 11:17 PM   #13
(male)

DaOutlaw HB User
Testament..you can type anything along with acne and get 100 hundreds of pages. The only reason you feel like a pimple is forming 10 seconds later because you start thinking about your face.

[This message has been edited by DaOutlaw (edited 06-12-2003).]

Old 06-12-2003, 07:00 AM   #14
Veteran

Girlie19 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Aaron43:
Why does 20 year old John Doe eat a Big Mac, a double scoop ice cream, and a Kit Kat and doesn't break out, while some of you claim that foods cause the acne
And why does 20 year old John Doe never washes his face, rests his face on his hands in class ect and and doesn't break out?

Old 06-12-2003, 07:58 AM   #15

MysteryGrl HB User
For me, personally, food doesn't affect my skin. But if someone else believes that food does, I'm not going to discount their opinion. We're all different when it comes to that.

Closed Thread