It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User
How can Accutane be a "cure"?

I'm shocked at how many people actually go years and years without breakouts after taking Accutane. I know it's a good drug, but I don't see how it could be effective in the long term. It doesn't seem to actually fix anything. All it does is dry up your skin and lower oil production, but that's only good for as long as you take the pill. Apparently, if you want to be rid of acne for good, you'd have to take Accutane over a lifetime, which is just annoying.

I started Accutane 7 months ago, and my treatment ended 2 months ago. Since then, I've had a resurgance of acne. It's nothing super-major, but it's significant enough for me to take notice. When I got off, pimples began to form on my face, but they were pretty much small and unnoticeable. They would come and go quickly. But lately, I've started getting scalp acne again, which was another thing I had before taking Accutane. And it seems that my face is getting pimples at a faster rate than a few weeks ago, despite all the preventative measures I take against acne (washing face often, Clearasil). Ironically, the one place that has yet to be bothered much with a resurgance of acne is my back, and prior to Accutane, that was the worst spot for my acne. Needless to say, I am stunned by all this.

I have a dermatologist appointment in a few days, and I don't want to have to go back on Accutane. It is so annoying to have to take all those pills throughout the day, and I hate the chapped lips.

I have two questions:

1) What can I do to control my acne in the short term (for my derm visit)?
2) How can I keep my acne under control in the long term?

I appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
(male)

DaOutlaw HB User
Re: How can Accutane be a "cure"?

Nothing has been proven to clear acne forever or in the long-term. For many people, accutane has been the closest thing to a cure. Many have even said that they have become acne-free as a result of the treatment. Everybody responds differently to the drug and sometimes it takes more than one course. All it does is "dry up your skin and lower oil production", but what acne treatment doesn't do that? Topicals provide the same purpose. It's consistent across the board if you haven't noticed already. Any product that professes to combat acne, has an active ingredient that dries up existing blemishes, such as bp, salicyclic (sp?) acid, etc... In my opinion, I think one's skin would become more dependent on a topical than it would a pill --- for the simple fact that, one is working externally while the other is working internally. Either way, you're going to become dependent on at least one of them, or even both, at one point or another.

If you have a moderate to severe case of acne, topicals just won't work. I took accutane about 4 years ago and it cleared my skin drastically, but I still breakout occasionally --- nowhere near the extent that I once did, but I still do. With my new insurance, I'm hoping to get on it once again, in hopes that it provides a knockout punch to this very stubborn case I have.

Your doctor might suggest taking the medication that once failed you to see if it works better now that your case is less severe. What other side-effects did you experience whilst on accutane, and how many pills were you taking a day?

Last edited by DaOutlaw; 09-26-2006 at 01:27 AM.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
(male)

duffc HB User

I'm 23 years old and have Acne, my little brother has Acne, and my older brother had Acne and started taking Accutane when he was 17, and know he's 25 and hasnt had a pimple since, yet I'm 23, we have the same genetics, and I still have acne.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User

I know that tropicals and such just dry out the skin, but doctors advertise Accutane is a cure, when in reality, it's not. They make it sound like Accutane isn't anything you'll have to take over the course of your life, like pills for high blood pressure. They make it sound like they're just short-term pills. But for some, if you want to keep acne at bay, you'd have to take Accutane over a lifetime, which does get kind of frustrating and annoying.

By the way, my acne's kind of calmed down since I last posted, so I guess I was just overreacting. My scalp is a little better, but there still are several annoying bumps on it.

Right now, I am trying to deprive myself from dairy products to see if that helps because I've heard that often has a major effect. So far, it might be working a little because things have calmed down some.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 PM   #5
(female)

jillr HB User

I don't think you can take accutane for a long period of time. I am going into my 6th month of it and my doc. said that that's as long as I can be on it. So it sounds to me like there is a limit. I'm not really sure what you mean by being on it for a lifetime. Unless you mean several courses over a lifetime. I really hope there's no need for that, because I'm getting sick of the dryness. I love how it cleared my skin, but I can't eat anything salty because it dries me out!! I miss french fries and chips.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
(male)

Redneck Joe HB User

Well what I'm saying is that you would have to take Accutane (or several courses of it) over a lifetime to control acne because I don't think it actually fixes anything because don't the oil glands just resume production as they were before? As far as I know, Accutane doesn't really do anything to correct the overproduction of oil. I am probably wrong, so if I am, explain to me why.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
(female)

Vdoe HB User

I am just about to start taking accutane in about a couple of weeks and i was just wondering what the response time was for all you guys...how long did it take for your skin to clear up , and what was the initial breakout like? i have moderate/severe acne.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
(male)

ejv229 HB User

i have been on roaccutane for almost a month now and have seen little change....maybe less pimples but my face is still red.....i have hope because my derm said it could take 1 to 2 months to start seeing a difference

Old 10-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #9
(male)

Meowmix4078 HB User

I took acutane for awhile. I noticed that my face looked better before 7 days were out. I responded so well that they took me off it after 3 months. I got some acne back, but not as bad as before as long as I keep my face clean. The reason you cant take acutane for a long time is because it would wreck your liver, probably mess your blood pressure up, and over a few years cause problems with your heart if you didnt exercise and eat very well. Thats really worse case scenario though.

Closed Thread