It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #31
(female)

xoinkoinkx HB User
Re: Yaz and acne

I just started on my first pack of yaz and now into my 3rd wk. It was originally prescribed to control the cysts i had in my right ovary and to prevent pregnancy. I didn't have much of acne problem previously. Now that the cysts are resolved, yet, I've been getting some acne on my chin and forehead. I am wondering if it would go away later on... I am not sure if I should consider other birth control pill...

Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #32
(female)

JoTX HB User

My 14 year old DD has been on Yasmin for 1 1/2 months and her face looks horrible. I keep telling her to stay with it and give it more time. She is really upset and keeps threatening to quit taking it. She says she is giving it this last month and that's it. I know 2 or 3 mths for her is a lifetime. I really hope that it starts working for her by the months end. I am printing out some of your replys about 3 or more mths. It breaks my heart to see her going thru this. Of course this year is difficult anyway w/it being her 1st year in high school...she feels like everyone is staring at her face. She plays volleyball and sweats and I'm afraid this is contributing to her acne problem. I don't know how else to help her. Please keep us posted w/updates and progress. Thanks!!

Jo -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #33
(female)

MnGal25 HB User

I have been on Yasmin, I think for 4 months now, PLUS Keflex which rids all bacteria in your body and my face is great! No new breakouts, just trying to get rid of old red marks.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoTX View Post
My 14 year old DD has been on Yasmin for 1 1/2 months and her face looks horrible. I keep telling her to stay with it and give it more time. She is really upset and keeps threatening to quit taking it. She says she is giving it this last month and that's it. I know 2 or 3 mths for her is a lifetime. I really hope that it starts working for her by the months end. I am printing out some of your replys about 3 or more mths. It breaks my heart to see her going thru this. Of course this year is difficult anyway w/it being her 1st year in high school...she feels like everyone is staring at her face. She plays volleyball and sweats and I'm afraid this is contributing to her acne problem. I don't know how else to help her. Please keep us posted w/updates and progress. Thanks!!

Jo -
Is she seeing a derm? A short course of antibiotics might help her get over the hump till the bc pills kick in. Bactrim and sal. acid peels worked wonders for my daughter at that age. The bc pills should work in time. Also, consider adding some spironolactone in. She might need more hormonal control than just the yaz. Acne treatment requires great patience. My daughter had more than me fortunately. I know how hard it is to watch your kid go through this.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #35
(female)

linsmom HB User

Well, I wish I could report improvement for my daughter, but it is getting worse. She has completed 1mo on Yaz, just started the 2nd pack this week. Is is normal for the acne to get worse...wondered how long on bc before your daughter saw improvement. Do you think antibiotics with bc is helpful? She is very depressed about the acne getting worse. Thanks for any reply.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

skimom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsmom View Post
Well, I wish I could report improvement for my daughter, but it is getting worse. She has completed 1mo on Yaz, just started the 2nd pack this week. Is is normal for the acne to get worse...wondered how long on bc before your daughter saw improvement. Do you think antibiotics with bc is helpful? She is very depressed about the acne getting worse. Thanks for any reply.
I can only comment on the Yasmin because my daughter never took Yaz. So she started in May of 2006. The first two months there was not real noticeable improvement although she says she thought her skin texture changed. Into the 3rd month is when things took off. By 6 months she was virtually clear but had scars and red marks. She also added spiro in the 2nd month. I still don't know how well she would have done just on the Yasmin alone. I think a short course of antibiotics would not hurt just to get her over the hump. My daughter STILL takes them. I don't like it but she is afraid to get off. I think she would be OK without them now and she is trying to wean off of them. tell her to hang in there. One month is not enough to see any real improvement.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #37
(female)

nizzygirl HB User

I hope someone can help me out. I am 28 years old and I am currently taking yaz for about 5 months now. (I was on aleasse 28 for 8 years and they stopped making that pill) I have never had any skin problems but since I started taking the pill I have adult acne. Nothing severe but small bumps under my skin around my jawline and neck. I have went to the derm. and she said that it shouldnt be from the yaz and that it should actually clear up acne. She proscribed retin A and rosula face wash.The strange thing is that when I am not taking the pill for the four days my skin seems to clear up. My only other complaint with this pill is the breast tenderness. I have had no weight gain and my periods are very light . If anyone has any advice please let me know, my concern is that I am getting married in 8 months and I dont want my skin to be a problem for the wedding.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #38
(female)

ordinary10 HB User

hi-

i'm now ending my second month on yasmin and i have not seen any improvement in my face except for less oil. i'm also on prescription topical creams n those are just drying out my skin n making it peel esp with the cold weather. i'm really hoping i'll see some improvement in this third month because i am really starting to give up. it's so hard but seeing some of the positive posts makes me think that there still might be hope. i guess the only thing that i can do is keep my fingers crossed......

good luck to everyone!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #39
(female)

xoinkoinkx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizzygirl View Post
I hope someone can help me out. I am 28 years old and I am currently taking yaz for about 5 months now. (I was on aleasse 28 for 8 years and they stopped making that pill) I have never had any skin problems but since I started taking the pill I have adult acne. Nothing severe but small bumps under my skin around my jawline and neck. I have went to the derm. and she said that it shouldnt be from the yaz and that it should actually clear up acne. She proscribed retin A and rosula face wash.The strange thing is that when I am not taking the pill for the four days my skin seems to clear up. My only other complaint with this pill is the breast tenderness. I have had no weight gain and my periods are very light . If anyone has any advice please let me know, my concern is that I am getting married in 8 months and I dont want my skin to be a problem for the wedding.
most the side effects caused by birth control pills should start going away from the 3rd month.. if u are still experiencing the side effects then that probably means ur body is not compatible with the current birth control pill. Best thing to do now is talk to ur OB/GYN maybe she/he can give u something else especially when ur big day is coming up soon. Also.. even though Alesse brand is not on the market anymore, the generic still is available. The generic for Alesse is called Lutera. Maybe u can give lutera a try since u took Alesse for 8 yrs and lutera has the same ingredients as Alesse just a different manufacture that's making it.

Im on my second month of Yaz. The acnes that I got from it seems to be less bothersome...

Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #40
(female)

dutseal168 HB User

Hi I have been on Yaz for about 4 months now and I did notice one good thing.
My face is less oily. It used to be SUPER DUPER OILY.
Now reading your comment about the Acnes on the Chin and Jaw makes me wondering.
I also noticed recently that I have been breaking out more on the jawline right on the chin on slightly above it.
What makes them worse, even when the pimple subsides, the bump won't go away. They will be there forever and red. Now I can't even hide them anymore since it's so there in the open.
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not I don't remember.
Maybe I have had them before I started taking Yaz in July/Aug of tis year.

Anyone else noticing the Acnes on the Jaw/Chin or even near that area ever since taking YAZ, please share with me. I would like to know.
I'm considering switching to Yasmin.

I used to take Ortho Tri Cyclen (not the low dose one, but the normal one) and it worked WONDERS ON MY ACNES.
The bad thing was. It made me gain almost 15 lbs.
But I have had other friends that takes it and not gain a single pound.
But Ortho Try Cyclen are generally known to make you gain weight.
That's why they came out with the Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo; I tried that too for my acne and it did not do anything.

So. Please anyone with the same problem please share with me.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupiddd123 View Post
Do Not Use This Birth Control. I Went On Yaz To Help My Acne And It Has Made It Worse. I Am Breaking Out All Along My Chin And Jaw, Worse Than I Ever Had Before. It Has Made Me Depressed And I Cry About It Everyday. Never Felt So Bad About Myself. I Am Stopping After I'm Done With This Pack. Do Not Use This Pill, Unless You Want To Ruin Your Life.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 AM   #41
(female)

allie89 HB User
Talking Re: Yaz and acne

Hi! I actually went through pretty much what your daughter is going through now. I'm 18 now, but around I'd say 13 my face broke out around my chin. I immediately had low self-esteem and would avoid speaking to people if I could. My mom took me to a derm and I was prescribed different antibiotics, which would help for a couple years but eventually had an effect on my which caused some health issues from long time use. So my sophomore year of highschool I decided to go onto Accutane. The reason mainly for this was that I spent a year abroad for my junior year of highschool and did not want to be on medication. It worked out great, although for about 5 months my sophomore year it was absolutely terrible. Luckily as soon as my face cleared my confidence came back and I had a great time in Europe without even having to wear makeup. However, as soon as I came back to America my face worsed...well I wouldn't so much say it did worsen tremendously but around my period I would get one or two zits. Nothing bad really, but because of all the low self-esteem issues from prior much more terrible acne I had a hard time dealing with it my senior year. So I decided to go onto Yaz, I have only recently started it and haven't noticed too much of a change. But its not too big of a deal because im positive next time i get my period it won't there will be no zit or anything sprouting up on my face. But just to let you know, although Accutane made 5 months of my life very difficult, in the end it was worth it, it really helped me. My derm and I were talking about it and she said that had I not done Accutane and had it not helped me so much already that the BC would really not help me at all, basically I'm going on the BC just to take care of the extra hormonal issues every month. Hope this helps, and believe me I know exactly what you're daughter is going through. And the Bobbie Brown foundation stick will help with covering things, I have been using it pretty much sinc ethey came out with it and it's well worth the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsmom View Post
Hello all! I am a "mom" on a mission to help my daughter with her acne problem. I have been researching awhile now, and have found this message board to be informative, helpful and encouraging. My initial post will probably be too long for most of you, but hopefully, one of you will hang long enough to read it through and offer some advice...
My daughter is now 14, and at this point has moderate/severe acne. Her initial acne began at 12. It has progressively worsened to overall facial acne, as well as, neck, chest & back acne.
I began addressing this issue with her pediatrian at age 12 - (he did prescribe Differin and then sent us on to the derm)...After two years of regimented care with topicals & antibiotics, by two different dermatologists, both of which continually encouraged "acne surgery" and flat-out refused to consider oral contraceptive (even after acknowledging my history-mild cystic acne early teen (15yrs old)-which BC cured at 18yrs old)....I was determined to get BC for acne treatment for my child, who was in complete misery. I researched the topic, and went back to our peditrician's office with my last attempt to attain this in an acceptable manner. Thank goodness, the female dr on staff that day, could relate to the pain & suffering my child has been experiencing, because she too had suffered with acne, knew the pain, listened to our circumstance, and finally gave us a presc. for Yaz.
I hope this will help my daughter....she is only 1 week in, but we are again, hopeful! She asks me everyday..."mom, does my face look better?"
Looking for feedback from others who have used Yaz for Acne Treatment, or from mom's with children that suffer with acne and how they have helped their children cope with it and what has worked for them.
Thanks so much for your time!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #42
(female)

Shy One HB User
Smile Re: Yaz and acne

I've never tried Yaz but i've been on Yasmin for quite a while. I can't even remember really when I started. I'll have to go through some of my old posts. But I know it has been years. I haven't been on this board in a while. All this time it has kept my skin clear. I had VERY oily skin and breakouts all over, even on my back, chest, and tops of legs. I still get the occassional breakout but that's it. I used to use BP cream every day all over my face and now I only have to use it occasionally. In fact, for the first time ever I actually went out and bought some of that Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash to see if that is all I need. I love Yasmin. Only problem is if you don't have insurance it is pretty pricey. I pay $60 a pack for Yasmin and I know that Yaz is much more expensive.

REMEMBER to stick with it for at least 4 months. It took about 4 months for my skin to start clearing. It got much much worse before it got better too. A lot of people make the mistake of quitting when they realize it's just getting worse. = )

Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #43
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I am trying to get my 14 yr old daughter on YAZ for acne, her GYN refused due to her headaches. I have to get her Neuro to agree to it. But I read all your posts and found them informative. I wanted to add that good make-up will help. Bare Minerals has helped my daughter when she is in one of her"clearer" days. It is non-comedongenic and made to cover lightly. WE both use it now.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #44
(female)

Biney8luv HB User

I have been using Yaz for almost an entire month and I've been breaking out uncontrollably. I Doc says it will take about 3 months for the acne miracle to kick in but I really don't have 3 months to be waiting. Any suggestions?

Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #45
(female)

penguinartist HB User

I've been on Yaz for about six months now. The first three to four were tough; my acne definitely got worse, a whole lot worse than it'd been before (granted I'd had pretty severe acne for about 4 or 5 months before I started). However, the medicine did start clearing it up after those initial few months. Now, having almost completed six months, I'm almost completely clear. I have three pimples on my entire face, a whole lot better than the 10-15 I'd have on either side right before I started Yaz / in my first few months.

Yaz has worked for my acne, but it took a while. If you're willing to be patient in your search for an acne reducer, it worked for me. It definitely wasn't an easy road, but like I said, I'm almost completely clear now.

Hope this acts as an encouragement. I know I relied on this board and a few others to encourage me through those first few months on Yaz when things didn't seem to get better. Given enough time, they will. It's just remaining confident in the times when you're having flair-ups and sticking it out till your hormones level out.

Closed Thread