It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 10:18 AM   #1

SamitaChohan HB User
Post Accutane help..

Hi was just wondering what is the sucess rate for accutane? Im dying to go on it to cure my acne but i have to wait till ive had my baby i September but untill then i was hoping to get as much info on this drug as possible.
My acne is moderate and i mainly suffer with cystic acne and scar very badly.

Please help me find out if this is for me coz ive posted so many times and no one replys and im so desperate to find out loads.

Old 06-28-2003, 11:31 AM   #2

vanna HB User
Hi,
I'm just writing to let you know that i've been thinking about accutane for about 6 months now, and on thursday when i went to my derm he put me on accutane. He put me on a very low dosage because in 2 weeks my brother is getting married and he did say that the most people have severe breakouts when they first go on it - the first 2 or 3 months. So he is hoping this low dosage will help clear up my face for the wedding. I've taken it for 2 days and realisticaly I can't give you much information except for the fact that my derm is really confident about this medication. I have severe breakouts a week before my time of the month. They are white and red little pimples all over my chin, over my eyebrows, my chest and my back. He - my derm - didn't hesitate one bit about putting me on the drug. I, of course, voiced my opinion about all the negative reviews i had read and he basically told me to trust him and give it a try. He put me on a very low dosage for now, but when i go back end of July he will up the dose.
I have heard alot of horror stories about the drug, but i think you have to go see a dermetologist and discuss all the side effects and decide for yourself.
Good luck and i'll try and post in a few weeks and let you know what happens.
.........Vanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
Smile

hey there samita

I am going on accutane in a couple of weeks. One thing i noticed with message boards. Is that if someone used a product, and it works, they tend not to sit around on the message boards, i am sure they are out living life!! I too was wondering about the success rate. But it seems to be GREAT, if nobody is answering you, get my point.Because i know if accutane works well, i am sure won't be sitting on here, i will be out and about, showing eveyone my face.

Old 06-28-2003, 05:31 PM   #4

Lyndsey HB User
There are several Accutane threads started that you may want to look through. In addition you may want to do a web search. That's what I did before I started. I even found one site where a girl kept a daily journal of her Accutane success. Sorry I don't remember the addy, but I found it quite quickly through a search.

I've been on it for 2 weeks now and my skin is the clearist it's been in about 12 years. In fact I haven't even worn make-up for the past 2 days! I could NEVER do this before Accutane.

Old 06-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #5

papa new guinea HB User
I believe like 70% are cured completely or for life. One or the other. Anyway it's pretty good.

Old 06-29-2003, 08:30 PM   #6

StripedShirt HB User
Hey Lyndsay...

seriously your skin is clear after only 2 weeks? If it's true, thats so encouraging. Did you ever have an initial breakout or anything?

Old 06-29-2003, 09:48 PM   #7

Lyndsey HB User
Right now my skin looks pretty good.
The effects are different for everyone.
My first 10 days were AWFUL!
I was about to quit.
I didn't get break outs, but I've had A LOT of unpleasant side effects(oil, dryness, itchiness, hairloss, dizziness). Some of which were listed under, "Stop using this medication now if these happen!"

Some people get a bad break out after only a few days, other the entire time, some for only a few months. There's no rhyme nor reason for it. I assume I'll get my break out later on.

Lately the hair loss has been so bad that I'm considering taking this stuff for only another week. Perfect skin isn't worth it if I'm bald.

Also I should mention that because the other side effects were so bad, I lowered my dosage of Accutane.

[This message has been edited by Lyndsey (edited 06-30-2003).]

Old 06-30-2003, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran

0603david HB User
I was on Accutane about 7 years ago. Through the treatment I had VERY bad cracked lips. You could not peel the flaking skin or you would just bleed. I bled at the dentist by them cleaning my teeth. You are very delicate in this time. I had my blood drawn every week. Accutane makes your cholestorol go up and I have a bad problem to begin with. I ended up getting taken off 4 weeks early. However, it chabged my life. The difference is awesome. I had VERY bad cystic acne. Now I only have a few pimples at times.
It is well worth it but you have to make sure you do not get pregnant because it is very BAD for a baby.
That's all I remember. I wish I would have taken a before picture though. My whole face used to be 1/2 bumps sticking up! Now it's smooth. I remember asking people in highschool, "How do you get your makeup so smooth?" Well, it was because they didn't have cysts under their skin. Very depressing for a teenager.
Good luck.

Closed Thread