It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 07:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
Post Need BCP advice please...

2.5 months ago i started taking Nordette (bcp), not for acne, which i had pretty badly, but to control my periods. Now, i'm doing The Acne Cure (book) which is like MAGIC, but Nordette is giving me bad cyst problems on my chin. It seems i always have 4 painful little buggers lurking beneath the surface, and i have about 12 red marks from former buggers. Before the pill, i was prone to 1-2 cysts a month.

i messed up my appointment, and my prescription will run out 7 days or so before the appt, and i'm pretty sure the dr. won't renew it without seeing me first. Should I stop taking it altogether? Ask for a different pill?

i'd really hate to go back to the way my periods used to be, which was long, heavy, and painful, but at the same time, this pill was prescribed because it was least likely to aggravate depression the dr. said, but i find while i'm not depressed, i've been low and tired the whole time i've been taking it.

i'm not really all that familiar with bcp's...i took one for about 4 months in the past, but had to stop because i couldn't afford it.

What do you seasoned bcp takers think?

Old 07-01-2003, 09:50 AM   #2

JenZoo HB User
I just went off BCP's because we are trying to conceive.

I loved Ortho Tri cyclen - it really reduced acne and oil production. I think you will be happy with it. I know others like Yasmin but I thought it made things worse.

Best of luck
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #3

Nymue HB User
Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right pill. Ortho Tri Cyclen really screwed with my emotions. I finally ended up on a pill with the lowest dose of hormones you can get, but then I had NO sex drive. Ovcon 35 was absolutely horrible for my acne (though great for my sex drive!), and I ended up being the clearest during my period! I'm on Yasmin now and love it. The only side effects I've experienced has been decreased oil production (yay!).

Old 07-01-2003, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Lightbulb

As you can see, there is no real answer because birth control pills all react differently, depending on the person. I guess all you can do is take other people's experiences into consideration, then make the decision for yourself with your doctor.

Yasmin was good to me because it completely cleared my face within 4 months, and it also made my face less oily. Unfortunately, it also caused me to gain 8 lbs in 6 months, so I switched.

I'm now on OTC-Lo (the low dose version of the original OTC), and my face is still completely clear and the weight is dropping off. I'm very happy with it.

Good luck!!!

Old 07-01-2003, 12:15 PM   #5

MountainMama HB User
Is OTC-LO an low dose version of ortho tricyclen?

Did you have trouble with depression on the regular ortho tricyclen? Depression has been a problem here so it would be great if this low dose version works for acne and causes fewer emotional upsets.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #6

MountainMama HB User

Did you have trouble with depression on the regular ortho tricyclen? Depression has been a problem here so it would be great if this low dose version works for acne and causes fewer emotional upsets.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sedulous HB User
thanks everybody! i just wanted to hear a couple people weigh in with their experiences, since i know next to nothing about the pill.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #8

MysteryGrl HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by MountainMama:
OTC-Lo has a lower dose of estrogen than OTC.

------------------
Lori

Old 07-01-2003, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by MountainMama:

Yes - OTC-Lo is brand new and contains about half the hormones of the regular OTC.

I did not suffer from depression when I was on the regular OTC, but I did notice some moodiness and increased irritability. I have had none of these problems with OTC-Lo.

I'm not sure how well it "works" for acne, though, since it is so low dose. But at least I haven't broken out since I stopped Yasmin.

Closed Thread