It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Banana1214 HB User
Post Bare Escentuals

I keep seeing these informercials on TV and it's so tempting. I hate liquid make-up. When I apply it in the morning, I'm very happy with how I look, but by the time I get home, my husband's like, "Why do you wear that stuff?" because it gets all flaky and 'dotty', if you will, from sweating. And I never feel like my acne is really covered. Today I feel like crap because the other day I was trying to squeeze a blackhead on my nose (I know, bad idea) and I accidentally scraped a lot of skin off with my nails in the process. So for the past week I've had a huge scab in the center of my nose that nothing will cover because, well, it's a scab. They suck. So anyway, I'm looking into this mineral make-up, but I haven't been able to find any posts about it and I don't want to buy it if no one knows how good it is because it's rather expensive. So has anyone used the powder foundation, mineral veil, etc.? They only come in 5 colors and that scares me because you can't see what they look like in real life. I've seen some posts about a different mineral make-up, I think it's called Aromaleigh (or something to that effect). Can anyone compare the two brands? And do they really do all they promise to do? Please let me know about your mineral make-up experiences!

------------------
This too shall pass.
#2 due 8/30/07... another boy!

Devlin Michael born May 20, 2005

Old 07-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #2

knut HB User
check out the "best makeup ever" post by haydensmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
(male)

FargoUT HB User
I had a similar problem with the scraping skin off a zit. Ruined my face for a good week! But since I'm male, I couldn't cover it up with anything. Strangely, my self-esteem went downhill, I didn't want to see anyone, I just kept to myself and was very depressed, and then I caught a cold going around our office. Yeesh!! I wonder if there is a connection to being depressed and getting sick? Hmm...

Old 07-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
(female)

Banana1214 HB User
Well, maybe you're lucky you couldn't cover it up with anything. I think being a guy makes it easier to have scabs cause they're like macho or something. You can tell people you got in a fight. As a girl, having a scab isn't very ladylike and when you try to cover it with concealer, it just looks worse and worser until it's like a 2-inch-thick greyish blob taking over your face. And you just can't do anything to make it go away because if you bother it, you'll just end up pulling off the new skin and another scab will form and take weeks to heal. Arrgghh! And to top it all off, this Florida summer is sweltering already and my makeup melts and disappears and I just feel like crapola. Maybe I'll get sick too now since I'm depressed.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Smile

I'm not sure about Aromaleigh, but I absolutely love Jane Iredale mineral makeup. It is better than BE for acne-prone skin because it is less likely to cause breakouts. Also, the pressed version of JI is extremely natural-looking and doesn't sink into the pores the way that BE can. Because it is minerals, it is really easy to find a shade that matches your natural skintone. Several websites offer small samples of several shades so you can try them before you dive in and buy it.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:55 PM   #6

mudpixie HB User
Hey Banana,

I tried Bare Escentuals when I first started getting into mineral makeup. It's ok- waaay better than liquid foundation- but not NEARLY as good as Aromaleigh!!!

For one thing, BE gets really shiny- not in an oily way exactly, but it's not really.... attractive shiny either. Aromaleigh looks way more natural, never gets shiny, is much lighter and easier to apply and has a better range of shades and skintones. I always needed heavy coverage because my face is so rough and blotchy, but with Aromaleigh you can just swipe the powder on your face and get the coverage without the "heavy" look.

The only advantage to BE that I can think of,is that it is available in stores, whereas Aromaleigh has to be ordered online. But other than that, I'd take Aromaleigh over BE any day.

Good luck!!

Old 07-01-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
(female)

Banana1214 HB User
Thanks guys... I just ordered a bunch of Aromaleigh samples. Looks like it will be fun to play with. I've heard several negative things about BE now, so I'm glad I asked. I was going to spend like 60 bucks on nonreturnable makeup from them, and now I'm getting little 2 dollar samples from A. I just hope it works for me. Like every other woman on this forum, I'm tired of spending money on stuff that doesn't work.

Old 07-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #8

JenZoo HB User
Thumbs up

I haven't tried Bare Escentuals - my friend wears it and I don't think the coverage is that good.

I LOVE Aromaleigh - absolutely the best - coverage is great and prices are excellent. I have a couple of Jane Iredale products and they are good but not great - costly too.

Jen

Old 07-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #9

livenlearn HB User

just a tiny side note to help you out with the "scab problem" when it arises again.... i, too, was a compulsive picker... so, i ended up getting scabs that then sometimes would come off prematurely and seem like they never went away.... now, in the off chance that i get one (seeing that i rarely break out anymore nor do i pick if i do) anyway, if its raw skin thats showing after i pick... i drip peroxide on it till it bubbles.... a few minutes later its dry and a thin scab is forming... when i'm sure its dry, i put polysporin on it.... tons of it.... by the next day its amazing how much its healing... and by the day after that... its pretty much gone.... at first it looks like all its going to do is keep it moist and never let it heal... but, the opposite is true... it really works!!

as far as the make up... i always hated liquid foundations.... now i use a tinted moisturizer... its not much coverage though.... but, i always loved the idea of a powder foundation... just never tried any...

Closed Thread