It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #1

SasseySue HB User
Post Accutane and Backaches

My 15 year old son has been on Accutane since April and he's now complaining of backaches. He's only on 40mg a day. He plays alot of different sports which could be making it feel even worse. Can anyone whose been on Accutane and experienced backaches tell me if it eventually goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 11:16 PM   #2

volty HB User
The first time I was on accutane, I was about his age. got backaches. They're the worst after bending over, or lying flat on your back (like as you're going to sleep). Because they're not constant, I never took anything for them. I guess something like Aleve would help.

They go away after you stop. I'm on my second round, and the backaches are back with a vengeance. I'm on twice the dosage he is, though.

And since he's 15 (I'm 18) I have to add this. I went to the beach last week, and got badly sunburned thanks to the accutane. I was only out for a couple of hours, and reapplied SPF45 sunscreen twice, but it blistered my shoulders bad enough that we went to the semi-emergency room. please use sunscreen!!!!

[This message has been edited by volty (edited 07-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #3

Scooterman HB User
I'm 16 and currently on accutane and I have back pain too. The back pain from accutane has pretty much subsided (it only happens after bending over as you said) but I also have back pain from a growth spurt so I'm going to a chiropractor for that. Does any know if going to a chrio while on accutane is ok?

Old 07-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #4

nightzebra HB User
I wonder if the back aches are realted to bone loss.

My bone density decreased by a whopping ten percent during the time I took Accutane, and I chipped a tooth.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #5

SasseySue HB User
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to call the Derm. on Monday. I had some 20mg of Accutane left so I had him stop the 40mg. I'm afraid that if he's not on a strong enough dose it won't work, but he can't live on Advil everyday. In Aug. he starts football and that's a rough sport. I was wondering if taking Vitamin E would help. Has anyone ever tried it?

Old 07-03-2003, 03:32 PM   #6

SasseySue HB User
Volty,
I'm so sorry to hear you were so badly burnt. I hope your feeling better. I'm going to show my son your post because we are fighting all the time about wearing sun tan lotion. He plays baseball so he's out in the sun alot. What brand of lotion did you use?

Closed Thread