It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003, 02:45 PM   #1

ez-duz-it HB User
Post Retin-A, Tetracycline, BP Gel

First off i just want to thank everyone who posts on these forums because I have learned alot about acne from reading everyones posts. Well i have had acne since freshmen yr in high school, when it was the worst. My derm gave me retin-a which cleared me up very very well, but I wasn't aware of the photosensitivity retin-a causes, so my face was always beet red. I switched products eventually because my face was just too red. Through high school I was on everything from azelex cream to amoxicillin to you name it (never took accutane, was never that bad). Up until about 5 months ago, I was taking just amoxicillin for nearly a yr, and I got a pimple here and there but it was really under control, my face looked great. My insurance company changed, so that meant I had to see a derm again if I wanted to get my prescription for amoxicillin re-filled. Well thats where it all went downhill.... I thought I was doing well with acne and would grow out of it soon, so I decided to just stop the amoxicillin and see what happened. WELL... everything was fine for about 2 months after that, and then BAM! I broke out again like i did when i was a freshmen in high school, and its been like that for about 3 months now. Well i saw my derm FINALLY about 1 1/2 weeks ago. He put me on retin-a, tetracycline, and benzoyl peroxide gel. So far my face hasn't really improved or worstened, but it's beginning to crack and get really dry. I guess my question for anyone out there is do you think I will have as good of results as I did with retin-a 5 yrs ago? I know now to use sun screen WHENEVER im in the sun, so my face hopefully won't get so red again. I'm really worried this time because I'm just sick and tired of dealing with acne, as I know we all are! So what do YOU think, will I have as good of results with retin-a the 2nd time around?????? Thanks in advance for anyone who replies, I greatly appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2003, 01:42 AM   #2

ez-duz-it HB User
anyone? please someone respond i am really in need of anyones opinions or advice....

Old 07-02-2003, 02:45 PM   #3

jesseinSF HB User
Exclamation

ok so ur basically on the same treatment that I am on....and let me tell u, I am totally seein an complete turn around..just stick with it...i never had bad acne, though i have always had breakouts, until just a couple of months ago...it got so bad that i finally just went to see a derm, and thank GOD i did. I had never experienced acne like that before. I mean my cheeks and chin were completely broke out, but nowhere elsa, and this was like for two months straight, and i still dont know what did it!! it was either the cleanser i started using (dermafina) or it was because i started using a tanning bed!! anyway, Im happt to report that my face has cleared up about 95%

Old 07-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #4

ez-duz-it HB User
thank you so much for the reply jessnsf.... how long have you been on the regime for? I am now going on day 15 and my face is worse than when i started, it is alot smoother though from the retin-a. thats weird i have had problems mainly just on my cheeks and sides of my chin too. i expected an initial breakout so hopefully thats what im going through, hopefully in the next week or two the initial breakout will be over.what face wash do you use now? thanks again and im glad to hear things are working for you, hopefully i'll start seeing results sometime soon.

Old 07-03-2003, 04:39 PM   #5

jesseinSF HB User
Wink

hey!...so yeah, i think it's just the initial breakout that you are experiencing...I HATE THAT!! its so embarassing and I work in the fashion business, so imagine how i felt coming to work everyday! i'm still using that dermafina, but i really dont think that stuff is working so i think im gonna switch over to noxema, its been around for years and years so i figure that there has to be something to it u know...we'll see, huh...the only thig that i wish is that my face would TOTALLY clear up...i still have about 4 or 5 small bumps, but im so glad that it is nowhere near where it was just last month...I've been on the treatment for a little over a month...depending on how comfortable you are with it (that is if you are male)...dont laugh, I'm a guy, but i've used this concealer stick by nutregena, it has acne fighting ingredient in it, (syllic acid)and it conceals the red mark...just a thought, its made the days easier for me...but i know that alot of guys would feel weird about buying something like that...

Old 07-04-2003, 02:33 PM   #6

ez-duz-it HB User
thanks again for your reply jesseinsf, yes i am a male and i have used one of those concealer sticks when i was young.... like a freshmen in high school, but now i wouldnt feel comfortable using it, so i just gotta grind it out until my face gets better. keep me updated on your progress and i'll do the same! thanks again for your help and replies.

Old 07-04-2003, 03:53 PM   #7

fightinghypo HB User
I am a 25 year old male as well.
Right now I use J& J Purpose clear cleanser, followed by a Biore 2% Sali. Acid Toner and some Benzamycin.
Every other night I use Tazorac on past blemishes.

I also just started taking 75 mg of Doryx.

I am also looking for a new cleanser and or toner. Any suggestions?

Closed Thread