It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2003, 09:06 AM   #1

gogogrrl HB User
Post b5 hype

listen:
I've been on b-5 for 31/2 weeks and just need to inform you all that B-5 IS AWFUL!....i've been keeping track as to how much i'm taking, when i'm taking it, et al....wow, i just cannot believe how bad my skin looks...before i had minor/moderate acne...now i'm getting into the serious- WOW I CANNOT BELIEVE MY FACE LOOKS THIS BAD- stage...it's never gotten this bad...everyday i wake up to a new "surprise" or 5 ...forget it...this stuff is bunk and i'm beginning ot think that all the people who are hyping this are b5 sponsors...

[This message has been edited by gogogrrl (edited 07-01-2003).]

Old 07-01-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

scouselad1974 HB User
Sorry to hear about your bad time with B5 but remember some people have the same reaction with Accutane,their acne gets really bad before it gets better,i was lucky and never had any major breakouts,B5 has helped me alot although it hasn't cured me,but i for one am really pleased with the results i have seen so far.

[This message has been edited by scouselad1974 (edited 07-01-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
it was either b5 or accutane for me. I actually did buy the b5, but decided not to take it. I guess i would rather use something that was supervised by a doctor. I was afraid with b-5, i would keep using it and using it, not really knowing how much i should take, and not get better. then have to start all over again.

Old 07-01-2003, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Unhappy

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with B5. Many others have had horrible experiences as well. Hopefully anyone thinking of trying it will take your warning into consideration!!

Old 07-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #5

CaptainV HB User
Your frustation is understandable and I'm sure eveyone on this board who has suffered w/ acne can relate. But I dont think you can come to a legitimate conclusion on B5's effect based on 3 1/2 weeks use? No medication can have dramatic results in a few weeks time, accutane included. Thats why derms prescribe routines that span many months. Its a gradual process that in time will hopefully give you results. Hang in there and give it some more time. I am nearing my second month on B5 and it has gotten substantially better than the first few weeks to a month that I was on it.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

poreoilyme HB User
I don't have to defend it. I have clear skin with B5 after 39 years of trying everything short of Accutane. I could care less if they make money on it or not, as long as I get mine. There is not one single product ever mentioned on this board that has worked for l00% of the people on here. Sometimes they work, sometimes not--this applies to all potentially acne-curing treatments. There's no need to take sides or argue. Nothing is foolproof; we can only share what's worked and not worked for us, as individuals. We shouldn't be afraid to express our glories or disappointments for fear of being accused of self-interest in a product or against it.

Old 07-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #7

gogogrrl HB User
Exclamation

To all those who thought I was personally attacking them:
No, I don't beleive you all are paid sponsors for the b-5 advisory committee...However, I do believe that b-5 is 50% hype and 50% placebic bunk and that people who are about to embark on an expensive tour de force of the vitaminic kind should know the consequences...financially and emotionally. Unless yer prepared to retreat yourself for 3 months (!!!), until the initial outbreak of an obscene kind gives way, i say forget it...that's just my experience...I haven't read enough "bad" or "adverse reactions" to b-5 on the web and i wish i had prior to buying half of puritan prides stock.
i'm glad it works for those it does but those who are considering it, you need to know the other side.
B-5 log (day 4 not on b-5 after 26 days on)...no active zits...prior ones healing.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:36 PM   #8

Cynister905 HB User
"However, I do believe that b-5 is 50% hype and 50% placebic bunk and that people who are about to embark on an expensive tour de force of the vitaminic kind should know the consequences..."

Well I feel sorry that you beleive that way, perhaps you should just come to grips with the fact that you didn't have a great experience with it but that doesn't mean others can't. You are not exactly like everyone else... Some people get sick on rollercoasters, others love them. In the case of B5 it's easy to tell which one your body is...

Old 07-04-2003, 08:54 PM   #9

gogogrrl HB User
So I've noticed the amount of views this string has gotten. Obviously people are wondering what the buzz is about..I think i've read everything there is to have read about b-5 on the internet...I know Dr. China's theory left and right and still it doesn't hold much water when I really think about it...I guess it was doing something because after 3 weeks, I looked like I just escaped from the set of the movie 28 days later...so it did do something...would it have gotten better if i would have just bitten the bullet 1 or 2 more months longer...maybe...who's to say...did i need to look at least semi-presentable to the world in the next 1-2 months...ABSOLUTELY...so that's my lowdown...i dont' think i'll ever have that gap of time for 3 months of complete zit solitude to deal with the "cure" which i found to be worse than the disease....
those out there looking for "the cure".they need a bigger picture...

What I want to know is this:
How many of you (us) have been helped or hindered by b-5.?..just to get a more rounded view..you all know my point but I'm curious about others experiences -good and bad......
how many of you had a SERIOUS outbreak (of the like that you've never seen before b-5) ?
how many of you are now swimming in compliments due to yer peaches and cream skin (via b-5)?

My vote:
skip it

Old 07-04-2003, 09:16 PM   #10
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
Thumbs up

I've been on B5 for around 6 weeks and I give it thumbs up. I am also using a lot of other medications, but at the very least the B5 hasn't made me any worse. In the past month my skin has tremendously improved, I have almost no active acne right now and a couple months ago my chin was covered. But then again I have started other treatments too during this period.

I ran out of B5 again today and am going to go a couple days without it to see if it makes any difference before buying more. But I try to do this almost every time I'm out and then will get a zit the next day and end up running to the store to restock.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #11

fightinghypo HB User
What other treatments are you using in addition to the B5?

Old 07-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #12

Cynister905 HB User
"Dr. China's theory left and right and still it doesn't hold much water when I really think about it...I guess it was doing something because after 3 weeks, I looked like I just escaped from the set of the movie 28 days later...so it did do something...would it have gotten better if i would have just bitten the bullet 1 or 2 more months longer...maybe...who's to say...did i need to look at least semi-presentable to the world in the next 1-2 months...ABSOLUTELY...so that's my lowdown"

Again, I don't think you quite understood my message. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for YOU but that doesn't mean you should generalize your experience to the entire population. I strongly doubt you have the medical background to fully understand and appreciate Dr "China"'s hypotehtis. In any case Pantothenic acid has worked wonders for many on this board. I've gone back on B5 after great success with it long ago, it was just too costly for me. After 1 week at 8grams/day my skin's sprouted a few whiteheads but nothing else of any concern and is significantly less oily. Does this mean I should go preaching to the world how wonderful B5 can be in just one week? Of course not, that would be silly and narrow minded.

Pantothenic acid isn't for everyone. I can live with that bloated feeling it leaves me with from time to time and the odd burst to the bathroom out of discomfort. Other can't. It's no where near as harsh as Accutane. There's just no one way to improve everyone's acne aside from good hygeine unfortunatly.

Old 07-05-2003, 04:33 AM   #13
Veteran

TimDream HB User
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Cynister905:
It's no where near as harsh as Accutane.
Actually, we don't know if this is true or not yet. There have been NO long-term studies done on the long-term effects of megadosing on B5. Personally, I've witnessed too many horror stories on this board to beleive that this "method" is safe at all.

Quote:
There's just no one way to improve everyone's acne aside from good hygeine unfortunatly.
As I'm sure hundreds on this board can tell you, acne is much more than a matter of "bad hygeine." Just because someone has acne doesn't mean that they are dirty or unsanitary. There are so many other factors that are unfortunately extremely difficult to control, such as hormones.

I'm sure you didn't mean to disrespect anyone in any way, but I thought I'd just point this out.

Closed Thread