HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acne (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/)
-   -   Doryx (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acne/4445-doryx.html)

fightinghypo 07-03-2003 04:41 PM

Doryx

Has anybody tried the oral antibiotic Doryx and had any success?

Catherine21 07-04-2003 07:21 AM

It cleared my face completely until the acne grew resistant. I took it off and on for about a year. Now I'm trying Smoothbeam.

fightinghypo 07-04-2003 08:11 AM

Hey Catherine,
Thanks for responding.

How long did it take to clear?
How long before it became resistant?
Did you switch to another oral?

Were you using other topicals at the same time?

bunny9987 07-04-2003 03:27 PM

I have used tetracyline on and off from the ages of 16-22. then i used proactiv it worked for 2 yrs. then stopped working, when i went back to my derm, this was in jan. he gave me doryx. It made me worse. But i decided to keep using it, and maybe it was just a reaction. In May i was fed up, i stopped taking it. my skin was even worse than before. I think my body is resisent to antibiotics, because i have used them for sooo long. For you it will most likely work. but it will not cure your acne. it will suppress it. unless you are lucky and you only need a round of antibiotics. gl

fightinghypo 07-04-2003 03:30 PM

About how long does it suppress it for?

Catherine21 07-04-2003 04:01 PM

The dermatologist gave me a prescription for doxycycline and Differin beginning in late May and by July my face was free of acne (though it was still oily and filled with red marks, etc). During the fall, I took the antibiotic for about 10 days at a time only when my face appeared to be developing cysts. By January, I noticed that it had become a lot less effective. This summer I started taking Keflax which works well, but obviously it would be better if I didn't have to take oral medications. My face still breaks out all the time, but it's never been as bad as it was before I was prescribed the doxycyline and Differen.

bunny9987 07-04-2003 05:01 PM

well for me antibiotics (any kind) suppresses the acne only when i am on the medication. It always would come back usually 6 months. i should have gone on accutane a lot sooner. i thought i was gonna outgrow it.

fightinghypo 07-04-2003 05:18 PM

Hey bunny thanks for the reply.

Did u try any of the Paula's choice topical treatments before you used Accutane?
Cleanser? Toner?
Or any of the BHA products?
How about Benzamycin/Erythromycin?

I am desperately trying to get these combinations solved before I start interviewing for jobs
and I have all the added stress. Stress always aggravates my acne, as well as Iodine.
I am sticking with my healthy diet and exercise for my hypoglycemia (which incidentally also helps with my skin, but I would like to get my cleanng regimen in place as well.

Thanks for any suggestions or responses.

Current Regimen

Morning
Wash with Purpose Cleanser
Biore 2 % Sali Acid Toner
Benzamycin

Evening
Same first two steps but
Tazorac instead of Benzamycin

Just started the Doryx five days ago.

fightinghypo 07-06-2003 07:08 AM

How bad is photosensitivity with Doryx?
Does it cause blistering?

Any replies to my previous post would be helpful.

Thanks