It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

Stanee HB User
Unhappy Does birth control pills really clear up acne?

Hi I was wondering if birth control pills leave your skin flawless. A couple of my co-workers have flawless skin and they say it because they take birth control pills. I have very bad acne and they said I should try taking birth control pills to clear it up. So if anyone knows anything about this please let me know I desperate for clear skin thanks in advance!

Old 11-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

greeneyedgirl18 HB User
Re: Does birth control pills really clear up acne?

I have hormonal acne, and I have been taking bcp's for close to 5 months now. At first I did not notice a change in my acne, in fact it got worse for about 3 weeks (around the end of my first month). Now this past month my face has been for the most part clear. Hopefully as time rolls on and as I get even more adjusted to it my face will clear up even more.

I'm definitely not an expert on bcp's but I do think that if you have hormonal acne like I did, then they will most likey help your situation since the pills give you a more steady balance of the hormones. My face would be clear for 3 weeks, then the week before my period I would break out like crazy.

Btw, I take Loestrin 24fe. Hopefully this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
(female)

care_berry HB User

I guess birth control pills only fix acne for certain people. Why would you want to risk all the effects from the pill though? Why not go the more natural approach?

I don't have acne, just an occasional pimple or two when I am stressed. Now, I told you that to tell you this. For other reasons, my hormones were really off (anxiety). I went to see a naturapath 2 months ago and got my hormones tested. They were way off, which is not surprising. A lot of people have this problem in this day and age. But anyways, along with changing my diet, one of the things that he gave me to use was natural progesterone. Not any birth control pills, which are just man-made hormones. I am absolutely amazed by the progesterone. My skin looks awsome, I don't get cramps at all during my period now, my anxiety is gone, and even my chiropractor noticed a difference in the way things finally stay where they are adjusted. When hormones are off balance, it can do tons of physical stuff to your body. And I only have been using it for 5 days! What birth control pill can do that? LOL. I can't wait to see what else it will do....

Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

I've been on birth control for a few years now, and although my acne is hormonal, BC hasn't really changed the severity of my breakouts. I still break out right before my period.
If you're sexually active, I'd recommend going on the pill regardless of the results you'd like to see with your acne.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

Stanee HB User
Unhappy Re: Does birth control pills really clear up acne?

Ladies I'm not sexual active at the moment and I haven't been for four months. I was thinking on geting on the pill because a couple of my co-workers claimed it will work miracles for my skin and my skin will be flawless. But like care berry said I don't know if they are worth the risk because there are alot of side effects that come with the pill and that scares me! Maybe I will try to drink more water and eat healthier and see if that works!

Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

BluEyez1031 HB User

Honestly, if you get put on the pill that is right for you (your doctor will help you with that), you shouldn't have to worry too much about side effects.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
(female)

Stanee HB User
Unhappy Re: Does birth control pills really clear up acne?

I tried the pill last year but for only one month I was suppose to try it for at least three months but I stopped because everyday I felt like I was pregnant , it seems like I was getting all the side effects. So I'm scared to get back on but I'm desperate for clear skin !

Old 11-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntchilada HB User

The only thing that has worked for my acne is Ortho Tricyclen. I have tried Retin-A, Differin, antibiotics, Accutane, etc. Nothing worked but the pill. When the generic Ortho Tricyclen came out, I switched to it and my acne came back. I stayed on it for a while or so to see if it would go away and it didn't. Now I am back on Ortho and my face is totally clear.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
(female)

cryingdestiny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntchilada
The only thing that has worked for my acne is Ortho Tricyclen. I have tried Retin-A, Differin, antibiotics, Accutane, etc. Nothing worked but the pill. When the generic Ortho Tricyclen came out, I switched to it and my acne came back. I stayed on it for a while or so to see if it would go away and it didn't. Now I am back on Ortho and my face is totally clear.
How long did it take to work for you? I dont break out that badly(never have) But when I lost my period and then got it back 6 months later I broke out all over my jawline, hairline and temples and it was horrible because they were just a bunch of bumps. Im on the 2nd cycle of the birth control(2nd month) and I have only gotten a few large pimples before my period. Could this be a sign that its gonna completely clear? How long should one give it to completely clear their skin?

Thanx

Closed Thread