It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3
40stinks HB User
40, with acne like a teenager

I hope there is someone out there that can help. I am a 40 year old woman with acne on my face, neck and back. I believe it is related to hormones, and to support that theory here is some info about me. As a teenager, I NEVER had zits. I had my first child at 30 and had some acne on and off after that. I had my last child at 37 and have had horrible problems ever since. I recently had lumps in my breasts and after 3 very scary months I found out that I did not have breast cancer, just cystic breasts. The thing about that is when I start my cycle they disappear. Then as the month progresses they come back and are unbearably sore by the time I start my period again, and they disappear. I also have very bad men. cycles, lasting 10-14 days with bad bleeding, cramping and flu-like symptoms for the first 3-5 days. I went to my ob/gyn a few months ago and she suggested I try a low dose bcp. (she recommended a low dose bcp because of the risk factors at my age). I first tried Yaz (little sister to Yasmin) and I bled for 1 1/2 months. She then switched me to Loestrin 24Fe and I am about 3/4 of the way through my first pack. My acne seems to be getting worse. (Oh, I have also been to a dermatologist who had prescribed minocyclene and Retin-A, which I have used for approx. 1 year). I really feel that this has to do with my age and hormones, but I can't really find any website that addresses my problem specifically. I wondered if anyone out there has had similar problems and has had luck with any other bcp, or possibly any other hormone therapy. HELP!

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 11-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40stinks
I hope there is someone out there that can help. I am a 40 year old woman with acne on my face, neck and back. I believe it is related to hormones, and to support that theory here is some info about me. As a teenager, I NEVER had zits. I had my first child at 30 and had some acne on and off after that. I had my last child at 37 and have had horrible problems ever since. I recently had lumps in my breasts and after 3 very scary months I found out that I did not have breast cancer, just cystic breasts. The thing about that is when I start my cycle they disappear. Then as the month progresses they come back and are unbearably sore by the time I start my period again, and they disappear. I also have very bad men. cycles, lasting 10-14 days with bad bleeding, cramping and flu-like symptoms for the first 3-5 days. I went to my ob/gyn a few months ago and she suggested I try a low dose bcp. (she recommended a low dose bcp because of the risk factors at my age). I first tried Yaz (little sister to Yasmin) and I bled for 1 1/2 months. She then switched me to Loestrin 24Fe and I am about 3/4 of the way through my first pack. My acne seems to be getting worse. (Oh, I have also been to a dermatologist who had prescribed minocyclene and Retin-A, which I have used for approx. 1 year). I really feel that this has to do with my age and hormones, but I can't really find any website that addresses my problem specifically. I wondered if anyone out there has had similar problems and has had luck with any other bcp, or possibly any other hormone therapy. HELP!

Hi there, there is a lot on this board about hormones, bc pills, Yasmin. Click on the search button and type in your search word. I am always on here blathering on bc pills and hormone therapy so here I go again and will probably continue till somebody tells me to shut up. Years ago my acne went away with homone therapy and now my child is having the same issues and the same cure is what is helping her.

Yes, you have a hormone problem. The fact is that all female acne is caused by hormones. Even if your hormones are normal your skin can still be affected. I would recommend you get Dr. Geoffrey Redmond's book called The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman. He also has a web site that has a ton of info on it. I can't give you the address here so, again, you can do a search. I am also fascinated by the bio-identical hormones that seem to be all the rage now but I know little about them. For now, in my family, Yasmin and low dose spironolatone seems to be working when even accutane, diet changes, colon therapy, antibiotics, no sugar, peels, topicals, pillow case changing, towel changing, screaming, yelling, no anything, did not.
For women who cannot take bc pill, they can still just take spironolactone. 100 mg - 200 mgs. is a normal dosage for control I hear/read.

BTW, acne can get bad at first and then straighten out with continued use.

Last edited by skimom; 11-10-2006 at 10:00 AM.

 
Old 11-10-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Grand Cayman
Posts: 40
caymanbabes HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

I just found this written by heartsicle (hope you don't mind my copying it here, but its very useful and informative!) on this website:

"Yasmin has 30mcgm of estrogen, and 3.0mg of progestin called "drospirenone". You might recognise the "spir" in it is similar to "spironolactone", which some women use to control their acne. Spironocultane (also known as "aldactone") is a potassium-sparing medication that was initially used to treat heart and liver failure. It was then discovered that spironocultane also had anti-androgenic properties. Some women take spiro. alone in high doses. In low doses it has no effect; i.e., Yasmin pills have a very low dose of spiro. But the Spironolactone derivitive WITH estrogen in the Yasmin pill is the magic potion that helps combat hirutism and other crappy side effects of androgens/male hormones, i.e., acne!"

If your Doctor won't prescribe Yasmin because she feels the estrogen is too high (though its still classed as 'low dose'), maybe you could try a combination of one of the pills with lower estrogen and low androgen activity, and spironolactone as well, as suggested by skimom? There are lots on discussions on this board about spironolactone on this board - just search for "spiro".

Good luck!

PS To skimom in particular, and everyone else on here who posts, this board is an incredibly useful resource, thank you thank you thank you! Here's hoping that Yasmin works for me!!

Last edited by caymanbabes; 11-10-2006 at 01:44 PM.

 
Old 11-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

Thank you caymanbabe

 
Old 11-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: san francisco
Posts: 27
sfo_mom HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

It happened to me recently, actually last May. I just turned 40 last year, Ive had a nice skin in my teens even in my 20-30's. Then, in May I had clusters of whiteheads along my jawline. I bought products from Murad, Peter Roth Thomas, Origins, Pro Activ. After using all these acne products my whiteheads turned into severe cystic acne left and right. Until last August I've decided to go to a dermatologist. He prescribed me tetracycline and clindamycin topical solution. It cleared my face from cystic acne (which are really stubborn ones and takes months to heal) though I get small pimples (not the painful ones anymore) they just last for few days and doesnt leave dark/red marks on my face that much unlike the cystic scars -they are still here. Luckily, I have only the red marks but not the deep/permanents ones. I guess you need to take antibiotics because it worked for me like 85%. Now my pimples are manageable though my face hasnt cleared totally. I stopped applying salicylic acid on my face. I just wash my face w/ cetaphil gentle cleanser, neutrogena spf15 oil free moisturizer or mario badescu oil free moisturizer, then apply clindamycin at the end am and pm, I just bought this am Neutrogena multivitamins spf15. I went back to basics, no pricey products instead I spend my money on facials (w/ extraction) once a month.
Hope this would help. Good luck!

Last edited by sfo_mom; 11-11-2006 at 11:50 AM.

 
Old 11-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
loversnow2005 HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

Hi ,i Hope That This Is News That You Can Use. I To Was In The Same Situation, I'm In My Fifty's And Started Having That Problem Too, I Started Cleansing My System Completly,meanning That I Cleansed All Five Channels ,the Bowels, The Lymphatic System, The Kidneys, The Lungs, And The Skin.i Also Took A Good Candida Cleanse, Then I Started Alkalining My Body, I Ate Good Raw Veggies And Friut, And Drank Alkaline Water .cutting Out All Sugar. I Started A Gentle Excerise Routine And Took Nourishing Green Foods, I Eliminated Stress As Much As I Could Through Deep Breathing, Soft Music Etc..i Hope That This Is News That You Can Use.

 
Old 12-14-2006, 02:34 AM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
megrijalva HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

I am 33, with 4 children, still breastfeeding my almost 3 year old. I have had terrible acne for years. I got some good advice from another thread on this health board regarding acne and it has helped me. I know it is drastic but I wont take any artificial hormones. I have completely cut out sugar and all complex carbs(breads, pasta, white rice, baked goods). Basically I eat oats, hormone free meats, fish(wild), all veggies and fruit, sweet potatoes(few white), herbal teas, brown rice, flourless bread, nuts, plain yogurt. I know it sounds hard but it was so worth it for me to eat better and not have that ugly painful acne staring me in the face. I believe that all the sugars in your system wreaks havoc on certain people's systmes which in turn effects your hormone levels, resulting in acne. Since i have changed my diet I have had VERY few new breakouts and the ones I had(many cystic) are finally clearing up. I have been doing this now for 17 days and noticed improvement in three days. Plus this is a better diet for you so your overall health is better, less disease, slower aging..... Give it a try, I really dont crave sugar anymore and before this I HAD to have it everyday, even if it was a "healthy" dessert.
I do think that some people have weaker livers so can tolerate less bad stuff.

Good Luck!

MG

Last edited by megrijalva; 12-14-2006 at 02:35 AM.

 
Old 12-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #8
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 156
lindamh HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrijalva
I have completely cut out sugar and all complex carbs(breads, pasta, white rice, baked goods).
You mean simple carbs.

I take quite a few supplements which have helped, but cutting back on simple carbs was definitely the most effective thing I did and produced the most drastic improvement. I am completely clear for the first time in 30 years.

You might not have to be so drastic. But cut out the sugary drinks and never eat simple carbs by themselves. Always have protein, fat or high fiber foods with it, preferably first. You can also take fiber supplements when you splurge on a desert or pasta meal. Or just do it before every meal.

Sugar wreaks havoc on everyone's system, it just shows up in different ways. But, yeah, it plays a major role in aging and so many diseases, so cutting out the sugars will make you live longer and look better while you do it.

When my sister and just about everyone else around me started doing the Atkins thing, I didn't want to believe in it. But then my husband got diagnosed with diabetes and I started researching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megrijalva
Since i have changed my diet I have had VERY few new breakouts and the ones I had(many cystic) are finally clearing up. I have been doing this now for 17 days and noticed improvement in three days. Plus this is a better diet for you so your overall health is better, less disease, slower aging..... Give it a try, I really dont crave sugar anymore
It's possible something you are still eating is triggering the cysts. My skin got so clear that I was finally able to connect a food that caused the few cysts I still got. Years ago, I figured out that oranges caused the horrible cystic acne I got all along my hairline, jawline, neck and back. But I only figured it out because a coworker had the same issue, but otherwise had perfect skin. Recently I discovered that the limes I bought to drink with water caused the remaining cysts I still got. I've been tested for common allergies and I am allergic to oranges so perhaps that's why. They didn't test for limes.

Ironically, those were both things I ate believing they would be good for my skin.

Last edited by lindamh; 12-15-2006 at 08:21 AM.

 
Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Henderson, NV USA
Posts: 2
Taysmommy HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

I have been on Yaz and Spiro for almost a year now. My skin is clear other than a few red scars that should go away with retin-a (Dr. says I shouldn't have too many wrinkles if I use it, too!) I am on yaz and 50mg of spiro. He just bumped me up to 100mg spiro. I told him I have put on 12 lbs in a year. He said I would have to choose if I want to go off the BC pill, but that the combo really is the best. YUCK! I do like the clear face though!

Last edited by Taysmommy; 06-07-2007 at 10:47 PM.

 
Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 688
skimom HB User
Re: 40, with acne like a teenager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taysmommy View Post
I have been on Yaz and Spiro for almost a year now. My skin is clear other than a few red scars that should go away with retin-a (Dr. says I shouldn't have too many wrinkles if I use it, too!) I am on yaz and 50mg of spiro. He just bumped me up to 100mg spiro. I told him I have put on 12 lbs in a year. He said I would have to choose if I want to go off the BC pill, but that the combo really is the best. YUCK! I do like the clear face though!


I asked this question on the other thread too, but, do you ever get pimples anymore. The reason I asked is cause now if I see one on my kids face I get all freaked out that it is coming back.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Digestive System Cleanse to Eliminate Acne ErimusValidus Acne 429 02-17-2006 06:30 PM
Baby Acne babygirl224 Infant Care (up to 18 months old) 10 11-03-2005 10:19 AM
Adult Acne Buzzsaw Acne 73 08-16-2005 09:50 AM
Cystic Acne - Retin A Micro started today! DirtDiva Acne 10 10-08-2004 04:53 AM
age and acne sunnyhk Acne 9 09-21-2004 08:28 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Clindamycin
Differin
  Accutane
Aspirin
Benzoyl
Clindamycin
Differin




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



WhenItRains (10), ClearSkinRomy (6), mmisty (5), poozers (3), jonnstar (3), LitS917 (2), lisamariemoon (2), ladybud (2), crookedhearts (2), MSNik (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (855), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (769), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (654), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!