It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
(male)

llouis HB User
What's with the bloodtest and accutane?

Ok, I've been browsing thru many threads and it seems like most of you guys went for bloodtest and counselling before prescribing accutane? so what's the purpose?

Why not me? I have been prescribing isotetrinion (accutane) for 6 months now and i never been for bloodtest or whatsoever. does it mean i am not following the procedure?

what i did is that i asked my doc to get me on accutane and he agreed. all he did is asking me for my weight and from how much i weight, he concluded that i need to take on accutane for a year.

but it seems like this is not a case but you guys. can anybody shares your experience? i'm worried if it might go wrong for me. thanks in advanced.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
(female)

jgarr10 HB User
Re: What's with the bloodtest and accutane?

wow your doctor is not following procedure whatsoever.

accutane treatment is different amongst males and females. I myself was on it for 6 months and was required to be on birth control for a month before even beginning treatment, but males are able to begin it about a week after their initial appointment, because this is the amount of time it takes for the results of the blood tests that were not performed on you for whatever reason to come back.

the blood tests are required for both males and females. this is to keep a track of the patient's cholesterol and triglyceride levels, because the ingredients in accutane have the possibility of raising both to unhealthy levels. also accutane is required to only be prescribed for no longer than 6 months at a time, and if a second course is required, there must be a one month waiting period between each course.

not having these blood tests performed can dangerous for you because you are putting yourself at risk for dangerously high levels of cholesterol, which can lead to heart problems. if your doctor is not running these tests, you can insist that he do so. he can't refuse because it is your health at stake, and i urge you to inquire about why these tests are not being performed at your next appointment! and if he is not requiring you to visit him again until the end of your treatment, you can call and speak with his nurse or medical assistant and schedule a time to come meet with them, because they are the ones who gather the blood for the tests.

hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

caymanbabes HB User

I just found this very useful website about it, I can't post the link but do an internet search for Isotretinoin and click on the ****pedia website which includes the following:
----------------------
Prescribing restrictions
In the United Kingdom, isotretinoin may only be prescribed by, or under the supervision of, a consultant dermatologist.[3] A similar situation exists in most Australian states – in New South Wales, for instance, the prescriber must be a Fellow of the Australasian College of Dermatologists (FACD).[4] Since 1 March 2006, the dispensing of isotretinoin in the United States has been controlled by an FDA-mandated website called iPLEDGE – dermatologists are required to register their patients before prescribing and pharmacists are required to check the website before dispensing the drug.

For many patients, the iPLEDGE program has caused delays in receiving isotretinoin. Doctors may not prescribe more than a 30 day supply. A new prescription may not be written for at least 30 days. Pharmacies are also under similar restriction. No more than a 30 day supply may be filled. There is also a 7 day window in which the medication must be picked up at the pharmacy. If the original prescription is lost, or pick-up window is missed, the patient must wait 30 days without any medication. Doctors must also verify written prescriptions in an online system before patients may fill the prescription. This sequence of requirements can make it very difficult for patients to receive and take isotretinoin on the prescribed schedule. Many patients are forced to wait several days without medication.

Dosage
The dose of isotretinoin a patient receives is dependent on their weight and the severity of the condition. Generally it is prescribed from between 0.5 mg/kg/day to 2 mg/kg/day (most often at 1 to 1.25 mg/kg/day) for 4–6 months. A second course may be used two months following the cessation of the initial course if severe acne recurs. Efficacy appears to be related to the cumulative dose of isotretinoin taken, with a total cumulative dose of 120–150 mg/kg used as a guideline.
----------------

There's lots of other websites about it, with plenty of information. Its a very serious drug, with a host of possible side effects, please make sure your Doctor knows what he is doing! Good luck!

Old 11-15-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
(male)

llouis HB User

wow...thanks guys for the replies.

Ok, i've called the docs but he was away so i asked the nurse. She said what I've been prescribing is "Oratane" not "accutane"?? and both are different

I then went checked online. it said that : "Isotretinoin is marketed under many brand names by various manufacturers. It is typically available as 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg and (in the USA) 40 mg capsules. Some brands of oral isotretinoin include: Accure (Alphapharm), Accutane and Roaccutane (Roche), Aknenormin (Hermal), Amnesteem (Mylan), Ciscutan (Pelpharma), Claravis (Barr), Isohexal (Hexal Australia), Isotroin (Cipla), Oratane (Douglas Pharmaceuticals), and Sotret (Ranbaxy)."

So, my conclusion is they are different becoz of the brand? that Oratane and accutane both have the same ingredient which is Isotretinion inside?

Am I correct? My doc will not be around until next week. if anyone knows anything, please reply thanks

Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
(male)

Oranguman HB User

Sounds like monkeys are running that Doctors office.

Last edited by Oranguman; 11-28-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Closed Thread