It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

Sue21 HB User
Question Extremely Oily...Please Help

Hi all,

I have suffered from acne since my early teens, but finally have it under control. I am EXTREMELY oily. I have had several dermatologists amaze at the strength of medications that I can use, even straight through the winter, unlike any other patient they have ever had.

I use 8% benzoyl peroxide and Tazorac on my face now, and am currently weaning off minocycline. So while I still produce much more oil on my face than any human should, it is definately reduced because of these meds I put on my face everyday.

My problem is this....

My scalp is VERY VERY oily. I wash my hair at night before bed and let it dry in my sleep. By the time I wake up 8 hours later, my roots are already greasy. I have blonde hair, so when my hair turns greasy on the roots, it darkens, making it very obvious.

I've gotten to the point that now when I wake up, I sprinkle a little baby powder on my roots. That way, as the day progresses and my scalp produces more and more oil, it gets absorbed right away by the powder there.

Any recommendations? I'm going to try tea tree oil shampoo.

Can I dab rubbing alcohol, or an astringent, onto my scalp to decrease sebum production??

Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
(male)

llouis HB User
Re: Extremely Oily...Please Help

i am not sure if rubbing alcohol onto your scalp might help.

I used to have very oily scalp too. now i am until med, i used tea tree oil shampoo which is useful for me. I don't use any greasy product to style my hair anymore, i just leave it naturally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue21
Hi all,
My scalp is VERY VERY oily. I wash my hair at night before bed and let it dry in my sleep. By the time I wake up 8 hours later, my roots are already greasy. I have blonde hair, so when my hair turns greasy on the roots, it darkens, making it very obvious.
That describes me for most of my life, except I always washed my hair in the morning. I could not make it through the day otherwise.

Getting older gradually allowed me to wash it at night instead. But the biggest difference was diet and supplements over the past year, or maybe it's nearly 2 years now. Zinc, Saw Palmetto and/or Nettle leaf. Then cutting back on the sugars and simple carbs. My skin and hair became fairly normal.

I now take a more potent supplement than the Saw Palmetto called Beta-sitosterol which is the component in Saw Palmetto that's beneficial. And I no longer have to wash my hair daily.

All these things I mention help balance hormones that stimulate the production of oil.

Another thing that helps is to wear it in a pony tail or barrettes so you don't mess with it and spread the oils from the roots and your hands. I can still make my hair look pretty oily when I can't stop messing with a cowlick.

Or get a perm as oil doesn't travel down curly kinky hair as well as straight.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
(male)

rarse HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by llouis
i am not sure if rubbing alcohol onto your scalp might help.

I used to have very oily scalp too. now i am until med, i used tea tree oil shampoo which is useful for me. I don't use any greasy product to style my hair anymore, i just leave it naturally.
I had this problem, but lately I just ensure that I cut my hair frequently so that it remains kinda short all the time.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

April7 HB User

Tea Tree Oil shampoo will help, as will not using conditioner if your hair can handle that, and washing it in the morning. Avoid styling products. Don't touch your scalp or run your fingers through your hair during the day.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Thanks, everyone.

I will definately pick up some tea tree oil shampoo.

The reason it's so frustrating is that I do not use any styling products. And I eat pretty healthy.

Also, I have fine, blonde hair (which on people tends to have a more oily scalp versus, say, thick dark hair). Then when my roots turn greasy, they turn dark, and it's really noticeable.

About the vitamins---do you mean a normal daily vitamin? Like One-a-Day for Women? Or some kind of supplement? Any recommendations?

My mom says she was just like me until she was in her 30s or so. So I'll look forward to that! haha

Thanks again

Old 11-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #7
(male)

Karl2 HB User

Sue,

The person that mentioned the Saw Palmetto and Beta-Sitosterol was offering good advice. Basically, people have oily skin because their sebaceous glands are overly responsive to testosterone, even modest amounts. Given the aforesaid, supplements/drugs that block androgen receptors tend to work quite well. Given, you are a girl, you can also try the drug spironolactone, which works in a similar way to the supplements I mentioned. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
(female)

Sue21 HB User

Thanks to everyone for their kind replies.

I picked up some tea tree oil shampoo today, so I'm going to see if that works.

If that doesn't, I'm considering making an appointment with a doctor for a general physical and then raising my concerns. I've always been oily, but I've seen a real increase within the past couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if stress was playing a big role.

I don't have to go back to my dermotologist (for my acne follow up appointment) for another 6 months, so if I get a physical from a general practitioner, would they be able to help me, or is this better suited for a derm?

Thanks again

Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
(female)

coral624 HB User

maybe you could try to control your problem at the root. BCPs are one way of controlling oil production... or if you're not too keen on the BCPs, go for a more natural approach. i know there are many different herbs out there that help clear up acne and control oil production. i too have oily skin, although it doesn't sound as bad as yours, and i have found that drinking lots of water and exercising regularly helps a lot.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
(female)

Sue21 HB User

I will definately consider all of the mentioned suggestions. I think I will soon make an appointment for a general physical and discuss my concerns. I know my oiliness is somewhat "natural", being my age and Italian heritage (my mother is also extremely oily, but it lessened significantly around the age of 30). But if there is an "easy" way to control it, I will definately try it. I will discuss BCPs with my doctor, but I worry about that affecting my acne which I finally have under control.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:01 PM   #11
(female)

Sue21 HB User

I just wanted to give an update for all.

I switched to tea tree oil shampoo. I bought the Generic Brand kind at Sally's Beauty Supply. It it the generic version of Paul Mitchell's tea tree shampoo. Exactly the same, and very cheap.

The first time I used it I washed my hair at night like always, and when I woke up the next morning, I think my hair was even greasier than normal! But I used it again the next night and noticed a significant difference. I used it again one more time I noticed my hair does not grease up as fast.

I use a relatively small amount and scrub it good into my scalp and leave it there for two to four minutes before rinsing. It gets tingly and minty smelling.

I also used to use baby powder (typical Johnson & Johnson talcum powder) to control the amount of developing oil throughout the day. I switched to Shop Rite Cornstarch Baby Powder, which is not talcum powder, but rather corn starch powder. It's not as white or clumpy (visible) as talcum powder, and I find that if I just rub a small touch onto my roots in the morning this really helps with the developing grease throughout the day.

If my problem persisits, I will consult my doctor, but for now I am seeing a great difference with the tea tree oil shampoo.

Thanks again to all who gave suggestions

Old 11-26-2006, 12:32 AM   #12
(female)

sixsongcd HB User

i dont know if this has been said yet already,
but rubbing alcohol drys out your skin immensely, and in return your skin (including scalp) produces a large amount of oil to try to moisturize it.
you also might want to check your shampoo and conditioner's ingredients for rubbing alcohol.
hope this helps a bit

Old 11-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #13
(female)

Nopales HB User

You might want to see an endocronologist about this issue, if it is really bothering you...you may have a hormonal balance or some other underlying condition that is causing this condition.

Closed Thread