It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2003, 09:53 PM   #1

darkangel HB User
Post WHAT CAUSES YOU TO BREAKOUT?

hello all, i want to start a help page here. i hope everyone will get a chance to post on this page or at least view it. here, we will share our reasons for breaking out. its meant to help eveyone, to tell you what to avoid. so please, take the time to post here.

ill start...

i breakout when the weather changes to autumn. maybe its becuase my skin gets too dry. well i hope thats the reason becuase this year ill be sure to keep my skin moisturized. hope it works.

but the biggest and worst breakout that ive ever seen occured on my face when i was on proactiv. i left the sulphur mask on overnite (like the bottle advised to)adn i woke up to see acne at its fullest... horrible site it was. it really has put me down. this occured somewhere in feb. and i am still suffering today, no where close to clear skin. be sure to avoid this mistake.

now its your turn... please add on

Old 07-04-2003, 05:20 AM   #2

mudpixie HB User
I seem to break out mostly in the winter, when it gets dry, like you do. Yeah hopefully this year I'll be smart enough to keep my face moisturized.

I also break out around that time of month, or whenever I eat lots of chocolate and sweets (which usually happens around that time anyway )

I guess my skin also just looks bad when I'm not being healthy (drinking water, exercising, and eating low-carb no sugar diets).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #3

Samantha_Michelle HB User
Cool

Not drinking enough water *always* causes me to have one of those red, painful bumps that never come to a head. Peanut butter causes me to breakout, as does that time of the month. Also, if I gain maybe a pound or two, my face looks great. If I loose a pound or two, my face looks horrible. When ony thing is going good, the other falls apart! lol

Old 07-04-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bunny9987 HB User
Darkangel

No it doesn't say to leave on overnight. Its a mask to be washed off in 10 min. I did hear somewhere you can spot in on blemishes overnight, suppose to make them less red. Samantha yes allthough i have always had acne. My face does get worse when i lose weight. When i was 16, it was the 1st time i went on tetracycline, and i had lost some weight. since may i have lost 10lbs. i totally cut out all fat and sugar. my face is at its worse ever. weird huh...

Old 07-04-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

Mandilyn HB User
I breakout around my period (that time of the month), or when I eat too much oranges. I also breakout when september/october comes around and all threw the winter my face is bad but by June/May my face looks good. Oh yea I also breakout when I use skin products by Nivea (even though it says that it wont clog pores). Or if I put too much vitamon E oil on my face ill breakout.
Oh yea and when I lost weight my face got worst.
(strange).

Old 07-04-2003, 09:29 PM   #6

NoSwtTea4U HB User
The reason your face might clear up when you gain weight or worsen when you lose weight is because estrogen is stored in fat. When you gain some more fat you'll have some more estrogen and more estrogen=clearer skin, which is why girls skin is better than guys for teh most part. Also, when girls take birth control pills, they'll tend to gain a few pounds and consequently get clearer skin.

------------------
Hi.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:59 PM   #7
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
NoSwtTea,
Yes estrogen is stored in fat, but so are androgens, when you lose fat you lose male hormones as well (that's why women with PCOS are encouraged to lose weight). Birth control pills do not help acne by making you gain weight, they give you extra estrogen which balance your androgens. Even if you don't gain weight, you can still have good skin benefits by taking the pill. But I do agree that when I'm dieting my skin looks worse and maybe there is some other kind of connection? Maybe because I tend to lose weight when I am stressed out? Or that when we aren't eating a lot our blood sugar levels are more unstable?

Old 07-05-2003, 03:47 AM   #8

Moonique HB User
certain foods
genetics
and i suspect hormonal imbalance

Old 07-05-2003, 03:54 AM   #9

Sigh HB User
Hmm.. I don't understand..

On several occasions I asked my dermatologist if diet had anything to do with acne and all I get is this answer: "No, they used to believe it did in the olden days, but there is no scientific proof"

Which brings me to wonder, Who should I believe?

Old 07-05-2003, 04:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dramaqueen HB User
Time of the month.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:43 PM   #11

darkangel HB User
Sigh,
do not believe your dermatologist. theyll say anything to sell you their medication. a change of diet has helped a lot of people with their acne. just dont believe your dermatologist. mine lied to me too. he said that i had the worst acne he had ever seen on a girl adn that the only way to clear my skin was through accutane. he was very pushy when i mentioned all the side affects. he said "yeah, theres a whole list of them,but believe me, they never occur". what a liar. i never even considered accutane and went elsewhere with medication. im happy to say that now, my skin is on its way to clear. ill never see a derm again.

Old 07-05-2003, 04:50 PM   #12

Nymue HB User
Funny how derms can be so different. I went through a few that absolutely would not prescribe me Accutane and just kept pushing meds on me that didn't work and then changing them every few months. Useless. They also told me there was no connection between diet and acne. That old idea is starting to change though. I've read a few articles in magazines lately stating that research has begun to find a correlation between diet and acne! Finally. Even though I have never been able to pinpoint anything that made me breakout, I definitely believe that a lot of people breakout due to certain foods.

Old 07-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #13

17YearsOldLooking4TheCure HB User
For me, basically........ "everything"

Old 07-06-2003, 01:01 PM   #14
Veteran

linnybee428 HB User
There is an article in Allure this month (yeah I hate beauty magazines, but I happened to notice it in my friends mag) that talks about food and acne. I don't think it had a lot of info that we all didn't already suspect, but it was cool to read and see actual studies and theories about the relation between things like blood sugar and skin problems.

A lot of us notice changes in our acne from what we eat and dermatologists like to tell us we are crazy, but it can make a difference!

Old 07-09-2003, 04:38 PM   #15

darkangel HB User
thanks for all the replies

Closed Thread