It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User
Severe Adult Acne

I'm a 40 yr. old female w/huge red welts ,all over my face! I have always had the kind of skin that broke out alot but this is the worst it's ever been!
I have tried all otc meds even that proactive stuff - to no avail! I have been to dermatologists in the past and never really had great results. The only time it tends to clear up is if I use the tanning booth or at the beach in the summer. I hate to do that because of the risk of skin cancer! Any suggestions or do I have to live with these awful things forever!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

jillr HB User
Re: Severe Adult Acne

have you thought about accutane?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User

Yes, thought I heard there were many side effects - is that so? I will try anything at this point. Somehow I was under the impression that accutane was for the younger set only.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

jillr HB User

I'm 31 and just finished a 6mo. course of accutane. It totally cleared me up. The side effects can bother some people. The most common complaint is dryness. You have to go for blood tests once a month to monitor your liver function, cholesterol and they do a pregnancy test. It was worth it for me. I had severe cystic acne.
good luck!!

Old 12-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
(male)

ltmike HB User

Hi,
Accutane is a very serious drug with possible serious side effects. Minor problems are dry eyes, lips, skin etc... while the more serious include depression and birth defects in babies whose mother is currently on accutane (they won't let pregnant women get on accutane). There is usually an initial flare up in the first month but after that most people see huge improvement. I am 19/male and have been on accutane for 1 month and 1 week. From my experience thus far, I would say go on it asap. My only side effect is mildly dry lips which is very manageable. I've seen a little improvement in my cysts and I'm confident that after the 5 months I'll be totally clear. You do have to get a blood test every month but I don't mind that at all. The best thing is to talk to your derm about accutane. Good luck to you!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hi. i'm a 54 year old female who has suffered from acne and acne rosacea all her life. for the past 15 years i have taken oxytetracyclene everyday, and for me it is the only thing which has any lasting effect. there have been times when i've had to stop taking it, and for about 3 months i think great, i'm finally grown out of it, but no, it always comes back. as i say, it is the only thing that works for me.
one of my sons unfortunately has the same problem. he's 27 and had two courses of roaccutane during his late teens and early twentys. both times his skin was great for a while, but the acne came back after a few months each time. he too now takes oxytetracyclene. one of the lasting things for him, about roaccutane, is that it has left him with very dry skin on his face so he needs a pretty heavyweight moisturiser every day too. so now he has dry skin and acne too!! i do know people for whom roaccutane has been wonderful and done the job extremely well, i just wish my son was one of them. good luck with whatever treatment you decide to follow.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #7
(female)

sfo_mom HB User

Hello! I am 41 years old. I had cystic acne last June-Oct'06. My dermatologist prescribed tetracycline 500 mg 2x a day. IT HELPED A LOT! after 2 mos of taking them, I dont get cystic acne anymore only small non painful ones. Now i'm almost clear. Morning - I wash my face w/ cetaphil gentle cleanser then apply neutrogena multivitamins (oil free) in the morning and clindamycin lotion

pm before bedtime- wash again w/ cetaphil, apply oil free mario badescu seaweed night cream or neutrogena multi vitamins night(oil free) and clindamycin lotion
for mild/moderate acne- I use Mario badescu pink lotion- very effective ($17.00 at nordstroms) and origins mask 2-3x/week
note: I spent a fortune for trying diff products- I just went back to basics- these expensive products are even more harmful to our skin. You cannot treat cystic acne by topical solutions only. You need to take something orally. Tetracycline is good for 2 mos- more than that i heard of side effects like rashes in the neck, drying of skin- though safest among other acne medicines. Hope this would help.

Last edited by sfo_mom; 12-19-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kiasmama HB User

ya know about a week ago I started taking spiro and doxycyc. I swear I'm clearing up already. My pores have shrunk....and my acne is fading. I sort of can't beleive it's working so fast...I just sort of looked in the mirror today and wow.....what a difference. Keep trying...good luck

Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

stojack HB User

I'm a 37 y/o female that has suffered with this damn disease for the last 20+ years. I feel your pain sista... I tried everything, including accutane when I was younger, but nothing helped for long or I was too afraid of the side effects. Yasmin worked for acne but my hair started falling out from the change in hormones, bactrim worked but how long can you really take anti biotics????, oh, and b5 worked, but also hair thinning. Anyway, I finally dove into natural remedies, and pieced together the diet/acne connection. There are several old timers on this site that have made the connections and cured their acne natuarally. What's working for me is the paleo diet, or low/slow carb. No refined food, sugar etc. There's a great ebook by Loren Cordain called The dietary cure for acne. It's $20 bucks and trust me there is science in there, not hocus pocus. If anyone has any questions, feel free to let em' loose, it took me a long time to get my acne under control naturally and I can share tricks of the trade so to speak.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
(female)

yogachic HB User

What works for my cystic acne is Prescribed ones. I use duac cream and tazorac gel. I have a clear face once again, but if you get these you have to use a moisturizer 1st or it burns when applied

Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
(male)

almostclear7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stojack
I'm a 37 y/o female that has suffered with this damn disease for the last 20+ years. I feel your pain sista... I tried everything, including accutane when I was younger, but nothing helped for long or I was too afraid of the side effects. Yasmin worked for acne but my hair started falling out from the change in hormones, bactrim worked but how long can you really take anti biotics????, oh, and b5 worked, but also hair thinning. Anyway, I finally dove into natural remedies, and pieced together the diet/acne connection. There are several old timers on this site that have made the connections and cured their acne natuarally. What's working for me is the paleo diet, or low/slow carb. No refined food, sugar etc. There's a great ebook by Loren Cordain called The dietary cure for acne. It's $20 bucks and trust me there is science in there, not hocus pocus. If anyone has any questions, feel free to let em' loose, it took me a long time to get my acne under control naturally and I can share tricks of the trade so to speak.
Is it expensive to follow this "diet/regimen"? I am going to try this out before I try accutane. I always thought that sugar and all that junk food stuff we normally find in our grocery stores/fast food places, but recently I tried something of an experiment out and now I know. When I eat simple sugars holy ****. I basically gouged myself with sugar this month that I was home for winter break. I never eat fast food and drink plenty of water and I never eat simple sugars, but slowly I increased my intake of sugars. It took about three days when I really took in a bunch of junk food to see huge pimples come up. So, now I'm ready to REALLY eat HEALTHY and rid myself of products. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #12
(male)

almostclear7 HB User

Oh my gosh. I want to thank you for posting the wealth of information that you've provided us. I enjoy cooking so that won't be a problem. I never eat take-out/fast-food and I do not eat at restaurants very often. It's hard to do such things as a student, but I have patience/will power to avoid eating unhealthy food. I actually have found that since I stopped drinking milk my acne had started to go away within months. I used to sit there with a box of cereal (any kind...I loved cereal) and a jug of milk and just eat bowl after bowl. My whole life up until about 18-19 I would drink probably as much milk as the recommended amount of water. I took an antibiotic for almost 2 years, which is crazy even when I think about it now. It helped, but slowly but surely the acne started to get worse.

I stopped taking it and got on different creams, moisturizers, washes, etc. I used to do Pro-Activ. It worked initially before I went to a DERM. It turned my face a bit too red for my liking, but worked for my FIRST bout with acne.(the first time I got it OH was it bad...blood filled boil like cystic acne, but i haven't experienced that since then...it lasted about 6 months or so.) I then tried the herbal 3-phase system thing from ZEN-MED, which I know made my skin about as bad as it ever has been. I got on supplements from GNC and it helped a bit. (acidophilus,zinc, etc) I now use Cetaphil Cleanser twice a day, use H2O2 on a clear day sometimes twice a day mostly just once in the morning, and moisturize with Cetaphil day/night. I also take a soy protein shake, 80 mg of zinc lozegens, and flax-seed oil/fish body oil. I do think that the protein I have added to my diet has helped. I think I'll be able to do this so thank you. I just looked up Dr. Cordain's book and I can get it online for not much at all.

I'm just tired of waking up EVERY DAY and KNOWING that I have acne and the best I can hope for is that a few of them are "going away." I do not want to deal with it if for another minute if I can help it. The binge kind of sugar fests I tend to have every three months or so have to stop also. It usually happens when I have no food in the place except bread and something sweet so I go to the store after having like a PB sandwhich looking for cookies/chocolate.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
Inactive

lindamh HB User

I'll second the diet thing. A decade of dermatologists, antibiotics and accutane did nothing for me. I'm 41 and my skin cleared last spring for the first time since Junior high, from diet.

I don't do anything that strict though. I just eat fewer bad things and more good things. I cut out sodas and sugary drinks. And I used to think I was addicted to Coke. I've had ice cream once in the past year. And I eat fewer simple carbs and never by themselves. Fats, proteins and fiber slow the processing of glucose and keep your blood sugar from spiking. I also take fiber supplements before meals, especially if it's going to be pasta. I think not completely eliminating things keeps you from binging. Although I've never tried a strict diet and therefore never binged.

Also, I eat legumes with no ill effects. They are full of fiber, protein, and anti oxidants. I'd just eliminate the simple carbs and altered fats and see if that helps before avoiding other such nutritious foods. Lecithen is a very important nutrient. I don't worry about high glycemic fruits either. They are too full of important nutrients to not eat them.

The antibiotics can cause Candida imbalances which can cause acne too. So cutting out the sugar means you aren't feeding the yeast.

Exercise is supposed to help too. I walk daily, but then I always have. I always mean to do more than that, but rarely do.

Also, before the diet, I took Zinc and Saw Palmetto for about a year. My skin got a lot less oily and my face was fairly clear. Then I stopped drinking Coke and improved my diet and am now completely clear. I take other supplements, but that's what I can definately say helped.

Another thing: Have your allergies checked. I was suprised to find I was mildly allergic to many things. But one, in particilar, I know caused the horrible cystic acne I used to have. Oranges. Something I was eating believing it would be good for my skin. I figured out the orange thing at least 15 years ago. I just discovered this year that I am allergic.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #14
(male)

almostclear7 HB User

How did your allergy tests go lindam? I might do that soon to see what I can rule out immediately. I have no idea what to expect as far as seeing an allergist is concerned.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #15
Inactive

lindamh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostclear7
How did your allergy tests go lindam? I might do that soon to see what I can rule out immediately. I have no idea what to expect as far as seeing an allergist is concerned.
Me neither. I went to a clinic run buy Nurse practitioners that offer basic medical care and run common tests of things people need to monitor such as chlorestoral, diabetes etc. They took blood samples and sent them off to a lab where they tested for common allergies. A few weeks later I got a letter in the mail listing all the things they tested with a ranking for how extreme the allergic reaction was. In the blood that is. Which doesn't necessarily correspond to what happens to you.

It was called Redi-Clinic and they are inside a supermarket chain here. Your regular doctor might do it for you too.

Oranges are apparently a common allergen. And I know of one other person who got cysts when she ate them as she's the one who told me. And I suspect my brother and sister too, but they don't listen to me. And their acne was never as bad as mine anyway.

Last edited by lindamh; 01-03-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Closed Thread